The Marketing team promotes WordPress to current and future users and contributors. We create and amplify campaigns to support the growth of the WordPress project.
If you are reading these notes on another website other than the Make WordPress Marketing blog, please contact us on the #marketing channel on SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. or via the team’s blog as we may not be aware of comments you add on other sites to be able to reply, help involve you. Thanks
1. Welcome, introduction, new contributors
These summary notes focus on key items and actions from the meeting and to assist with an asynchronous contribution to the Global Marketing Team. For those unable to attend a meeting due to timezone issues, please do join the discussion threads after the meeting and send your updates.
- The meeting discussions on the Marketing team on Slack can be found at this Slack thread
- Meeting led by: @yvettesonneveld, @webcommsat, @lmurillom, @oglekler
- Meeting notes and follow-up actions: @maedahbatool and @webcommsat
Welcoming new contributors
2. Meeting Notes
A big thanks to @lmurillom and @meher for contributing to drafting last week’s meeting notes. Note: Please review and add comments in suggestion mode – link in the Slack. These notes will be updated as appropriate.
A reminder to check the draft notes is circulated at the meeting every week. Please review and check your WordPress.org ID is listed on collaborations that you have actively contributed too. We rely on this to update the final notes and to put into our charts to show where we need extra contributors, and how we are having an input and impact onto the work assigned / requested from other teams.
Rota for drafting notes:
➤ How can I help?
You can volunteer to contribute to notes for future meetings. Please note that the initial draft is needed by Friday 17.00 UTC each week to help with actions and follow-ups that might be needed. We are super excited that we continue to expand our contributors who are helping draft the notes!
3. Tasks, Working Groups, and Team Celebration
3a). Celebrations Thread
This week, the Marketing team has the following achievements to celebrate:
- The team is back with writing and publishing of the People of WordPress series. The most recent edition shared Thelma Mutete’s story. You can read her incredible story in this link. A huge thanks to @sthakor, @nalininonstopnewsuk, @lmurillom, @meher, @webcommsat, @cbringmann, @chanthaboune and @thelmachido who have worked around this.
- Some awesome news from @OGlekler about the number of onboarding videos that has been translated. So far the translations have been done for 15 languages. Here are their names to celebrate: English, English US, Bulgarian, Dutch, French, German, Indonesian, Macedonian, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Spanish European, Spanish Latin America, Turkish and Ukrainian. Props to everyone who has helped us accomplish this.
- More exciting news coming from the Contributors Day from WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. India which is going to be a 3-weekend event starting this Jan 30-31 then Feb 6-7 and finally Feb 13-14. For all the details about tasks assignment and registrations please read this Slack thread.
- @maedahbatool and @yvettesonneveld are all ready with the second onboarding session for the series “Contribution Made Fun & Easy”. For all the details about tasks assignment and registrations please read this Slack thread.
Follow and share our weekly highlight of WordPress MeetupMeetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. events and news on the Marketing team LinkedIn Page. Keep up with the #WPDiversity and #LearnWP announcements on the WordCamp and WordPress Events Twitter and Facebook accounts.
3b). Task Updates
Contributor Support Sessions
Update from the task group by: @maedahbatool
- On Tuesday, February 2nd, 2021, at 11:00 am UTC @yvettesonneveld and @maedahbatool are going to host the second session of the “Contribution Made Fun & Easy” series.
- This time it’s going to be about everything about Google Meet.
- You can register for free and get a chance to learn some tips and tricks about Google Meet which is one of the most go-to video conferencing tools these days.
- The registrations are now open. Please use this link to sign up.
- There are still more contributor support sessions for early 2021 – open to those returning to the team and wanting a refresher and to those who have pledged to contribute under Five for the Future.
- If you are a (relatively) new contributor and would like to learn more about the WordPress project, the tasks our team works on, the tools we use and get some tips on how to make contributing fun and easy, join us for our contributor introduction sessions.
Contributor onboarding guides updates
- Hindi onboarding video: @YashwardhanRana has completed the merging of the video and the audio for the Hindi on-boarding video. @Nalini will do the second run check after which it will be ready. A huge shout out for his efforts on the video synchronizing. The next step is to get this video captioned which is more likely to get done during the WC India Contributor dayContributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/. and get it verified by a GT.
- Bangla and Gujrati: Need to add subtitles. For Gujrati, @meher will be working on it while for Bangla, Rahul is still working.
- Japanese, Arabic and Persian: Need to add fitting.
WordPress Internationalization Workshop
Update via: @megphillips
- A Doodle has been created for the new time options for the Internationalization Workshop planning next week. The times are listed UTC.
- Please drop in your feedback if you are interested.
- Update – a new meeting date has been set to 10 Feb 2021 at 14.00 UTC. More information can be found in this slack thread.
People of WordPress Series
Update via: @webcommsat
- If you are an experienced writer and editor and would like to be part of the this existing task group. The working tasks require a minimum of three hours commitment each month for scheduled work on this, and a willingness to work collaboratively with others. There is likely to be additional time required for research, editing and graphics input. If it piques your interest please reach out in this slack thread.
- We are also encouraging some translation of these stories, so if you can help with that please let us know, in this slack thread.
Social Media Posts for Learn WordPress
Update via: @webcommsat
- We need three more people to join the task group. We have @sumantluhar, who joined the group last week and had his first training brief on Wednesday.
- If you manage social media for a brand or a corporate or have experience in learning environments, there are tasks available for you to collaborate.
- We also need people with graphics editors and skills. We had been previously collaborating, so we would really appreciate it if you could come back to us in the coming week. Please reply in this slack thread.
Online WordPress Meetups
Update from the task groups by: @lmurillom
- You can share our weekly highlight of WordPress Meetup events and news on the Marketing Team LinkedIn Page. If you haven’t already, please follow it.
- Please like and share this week’s #OnlineWPMeetup post on LinkedIn.
- Please follow the @wordpressevents Twitter account, online meetups are also being promoted through that channel.
- Keep up with the #WPDiversity and #LearnWP announcements on the WordCamp Twitter and Facebook accounts.
- Currently, the main task we’re recruiting for here is to collaborate weekly on writing copy to promote #OnlineWPMeetup via Twitter posts (and Facebook as a second priority).
- We’ve managed to stay consistent with publishing weekly LinkedIn posts for 20+ weeks and now we need to do the same across other social networks. Please reach out if you can help with this.
4). Collaborations and Planning
Monthly Promotions on the Team
Task: We are working on keywords and text during this collaboration.
Marketing Campaign for Pledgers
- We had people volunteer from several different time periods.
- @meher checked in with the following volunteers from the Asian time zones and asked if they would be attending the collaboration meeting and also able to contribute async in advance. They are @swetabhsuman, @technocrews, @ugyensupport, @chaion07 and @lokesh1994. Thanks for volunteering.
- This next collaboration meeting will be on Tues 9 Feb at 3pm UTC. A document will be sent async to work on this in advance of the first review meeting. On the meeting day we will review the work done and confirm the next steps for this task. Anyone else who would like to attend, please let us know.
- The task is important and will be continuously running for the next 6 months, and we ask for input from contributors for this period.
Other task group meetings
We will be releasing doodle polls and diary dates for some of the other task groups, including the marketing campaign for pledgers next month. Thanks to those who have added their names to the volunteer lists for these.
Many of our team are busy with preparation for the marketing and other team tables at WordCamp India so we have rescheduled some of the task group meetings until after the contributor days.
5). Forthcoming Diary Dates
If you need accessibilityAccessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) or language support to participate in any of our work and meetings, please let one of the team reps know in the marketing channel on Slack. We are keen to continue to try and help and promote inclusion and diversity in the team.
All the upcoming Diary Dates are in this dedicated post.
Change in global meeting times
Following feedback and surveys, we are changing the Global Marketing meeting time to accommodate as many people as possible.
- 6 January 2021 to 24 March 2021 inclusive, 15:00 UTC
- 31 March 2021 until 31st October 2021 inclusive, 14:00 UTC
- 3 November 2021 until Daylight Saving Time change in Europe, 15:00 UTC
Next Marketing meeting
Wednesday 3 February 2021, 15:00 UTC – Global Marketing Team meeting in the #marketing channel on Slack
➤ How to get started?
If you were in the Marketing Team meeting and would like some extra help to get started to contribute to the project, contact @maedahbatool for information on future Contributors Onboarding events.