These summary notes focus on key items and actions from the meeting and to assist with an asynchronous contribution to the Global Marketing Team. For those unable to attend a meeting due to timezone issues, please do join the discussion threads after the meeting and send your updates.
Attendees Slack Thread
A big thanks to @lmurillom, @meher and, @webcommsat for contributing to drafting last week’s meeting notes. Note: Please review and add comments in suggestion mode – link in the Slack. These notes will be updated as appropriate.
A reminder to check the draft notes is circulated at the meeting every week. Please review and check your WordPress.org ID is listed on collaborations that you have actively contributed too. We rely on this to update the final notes and to put into our charts to show where we need extra contributors, and how we are having an input and impact onto the work assigned / requested from other teams.
Rota for drafting notes:
➤ How can I help?
You can volunteer to contribute to notes for future meetings. Please note that the initial draft is needed by Friday 17.00 UTC each week to help with actions and follow-ups that might be needed. We are super excited that we continue to expand our contributors who are helping draft the notes!
Welcoming new contributors
New Attendees Welcome Thread
Marketing Contributor introductory sessions in 2021 – booking details
Get involved – starter tasks for new and returning contributors, and those who have pledged to support the team and need assistance to get started
Tasks, Working Groups, and Team Celebration
The team is continuing to support a number of initiatives and tasks. Lots to celebrate including work on:
- Learn WordPress meetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. promotion planning
- Follow-ups on Polyglots one plan for 2021
- Progress on the Questions and Answers for releases
- Meetup promotions
- Promoting the latest WordPress release
- Ongoing planning for Newsletters
- People of WordPress series
- Annual review and contributing to Quarterly Reporting
- Supporting Contributor events
- Assisting new Contributors
- Support and partnerships with the Training team
- Ongoing support to the contributor working group in Community
Follow and share our weekly highlight of WordPress Meetup events and news on the Marketing team LinkedIn Page. Keep up with the #WPDiversity and #LearnWP announcements on the WordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. and WordPress Events Twitter and Facebook accounts.
Contributor Support Sessions
Update from the task group by: @maedahbatool
We have 4 biweekly sessions planned starting January 19th.
Contributor support dates announced for 2021
- Session 1 – Tuesday 19 January 2021 at 11:00 am UTC (DONE)
- Session 2 – Tuesday 2 February 2021 at 11:00 am UTC
- Session 3 – Tuesday 16 February 2021 at 11:00 am UTC
- Session 4 – Tuesday 2 March 2021 at 11:00 am UTC
You’ll find more info in this post, and the sign up form.
Online WordPress Meetups
Update from the task groups by: @webcommsat, @meher
- We are working on wider circulation of these on official channels and to tie in with the work we are doing on Learn WordPress.
- You can share our weekly highlight of WordPress Meetup events and news on the Marketing team LinkedIn Page
- Keep up with the #WPDiversity and #LearnWP announcements on the WordCamp Twitter and Facebook accounts.
- Please share our weekly #OnlineWPMeetup roundup on LinkedIn.
Update via co-ordinating team member: @oglekler
- We have new onboarding videos in the playlist on the WordPress Marketing Team channel on YouTube. Thanks to all who have helped create on-boarding videos in different languages.
- If you don’t see your language in this playlist, contact @oglekler to find out how to get started contributing in your own language.
- Hindi, Japanese, Arabic and Persian are in progress.
Workshop Preparation for Developers and Internationalization
Update forwarded for the co-ordinating task member: @nalininonstopnewsuk
- This is a priority item. @MegPhillips91 will arrange a Doodle poll to get a meeting date in the next week or so for all the developers who have agreed to support this task. Thanks Meg.
Monthly WordPress Contribution Resolutions
Update on behalf of co-ordinating task member: @mikerbg and @oglekler
- Due to the global situation, we are updating the new year’s resolutions campaign into a focus on areas you can contribute to or learn about each month in 2021. Thanks to @mikerbg and @oglekler for facilitating this task.
- We will be coming back to this at next week’s meeting, so please do add any more content to this document in the meantime (link in Slack).
- What we are seeking for is content to promote ways people can get involved with the various Make teams.
Update on behalf of the projects and actions group
- We have had some volunteers already, but there are many more opportunities to contribute.
- The priority tasks from this post linked above, are to continue:
- collating / updating the list of WordCamps running contributor events
- creating a resources file to showcase WordCamp promotions and help smaller camps and teams are the most urgent items.
- Can you help with these?
- Please let us know if you can give some time to one or more of these tasks.
Update on behalf of the subtitling task teams: @webcommsat
Social Media Graphics Tasks
This is an urgent task. Do you have photo-editing experience? Let us know. It does not necessarily require previous experience of WordPress, just access and skills for using photo-editing tools, resizing images and compression knowledge.
Action: Add your name to the slack discussion or add a note in the marketing channel itself and include @meher in the message
Update via: @webcommsat
- Thanks to everyone who has volunteered who has experience of marketing personas. If you have not had a chance to add your name, please reply to this thread.
- @herculespekkas will arrange a task group meeting on this starting in early February 2021 [date updated].
Tasks for the Week and Actions
Update from the projects group
- Upcoming Meetup newsletter: We will be working on items for this. If you have any suggestions for it or want to join the task group working on this, please reply to this thread.
- People of WordPress series: thanks to members of the task group working on finalizing the content for January 2021. Can you help with graphics editing and resizing for ongoing promotion? Please reply in this thread or in the main marketing slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. and include @yvettesonneveld
- Release and core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. associated marcomms: if you are a developer who has not already expressed interest in giving time and sharing your skills with these tasks, please let us know as we will be setting forthcoming meeting dates in the coming weeks. @technocrews will co-ordinate a meeting on the work we are doing to help marketers better understand trac Trac is the place where contributors create issues for bugs or feature requests much like GitHub.https://core.trac.wordpress.org/., core etc.
- Plugins-related marcomms: @ugyensupport has offered to help facilitate, building on the work he has been doing on this for the team. If you have a background in this area particularly as a technical writer or developer, please reply in the thread or in the marketing slack channel and include Ugyen’s ID in the message so he can add your details to a list.
- Learn WordPress: lesson plan promotion ideas and mapping meetings are being planned for early February 2021. If you have a background in lesson plans, training or communicating and marketing this type of content, we would value you joining us. You don’t need to have a detailed knowledge of the WordPress space. We will be doing this jointly with the Training, Community and Marketing task group on marcomms. If you are interested in giving time to this on a weekly basis, please reply to this thread.
- There are more tasks coming up in the week, so do check the Marketing Slack for updates.
If you find threads difficult to use, then we have training available on using Slack or you can use the main channel on Slack and just include the Slack ID of the relevant person involved. We use threads to help with asynchronous contribution across time zones and to help those who find it difficult to follow a discussion on a particular task in a busy meeting. But we know threads don’t work for everyone and we are keen to help all get involved.
Collaborations and Planning
Encouraging Pledgers to become Active Contributors
Task: We have more than 700 pledges to the Marketing team, but have a much lower number of active contributors. We want to reach pledgers and encourage them to become more involved.
This is being facilitated by: @harryjackson1221, @meher, @nalininonstopnewsuk and a task group
Collaboration Slack Thread
- We have been expanding some thinking around this since December 2020 with the wider team.
- We have received input on this from other teams/ parts of the project and are continuing research. Please start to jot down ideas in the shared document (link in Slack).
- We will be having separate collaboration sessions for this starting at the end January 2021
- If you are interested in working on this and taking responsibility for particular areas, please reply in the thread so we can include you in the Doodle Poll to find a time across the time zones.
- This means that we can include dates and times in the relevant time zones of those who are able to contribute to this during the next six months. This task group will meet twice weekly, and sometimes more often, with async contribution in between.
Planning and diary
Actions relating to dates
(More details in the main meeting notes)
- Awaiting draft dates and times from the Learn WordPress working group’s meetings. @webcommsat to liaise with @evarlese
- @megphillips91 to liaise with developer task group volunteers to set a date for the planning meeting for the developer resources and workshop on internationalizing strings / preparing your code for translation. Date TBA.
- @technocrews will help co-ordinate a meeting on the work we are doing to help marketers better understand trac, core etc. Date to be set
- @herculespekkas to arrange a task group meeting on personas work in early February 2021
- @ugyensupport to help facilitate plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party marcomms, to help how we break up the Plugin questions. Date TBA
- @meher to send out a Doodle Poll after the Wednesday 20 Jan 2021 meeting for the first two meetings of the task group collaborating on encouraging pledgers to get involved.
- Meher to liaise with @harishanker on publishing dates, from which we can set marketing deadlines for WordPress Meetup newsletter and Month in WordPress deadline dates, into Marketing Team public calendar
- January 2021 – The Month in WordPress: Publishing date: February 3, 2021
- February 2021 – Meetup organizer newsletter: Publishing date: February 12, 2021
- Learn WordPress interview dates – TBA
Forthcoming Diary Dates
Check this separate post which has information related to the forthcoming diary dates.
Change in global meeting times
Following feedback and surveys, we are changing the Global Marketing meeting time to accommodate as many people as possible.
- 6 January 2021 to 24 March 2021 inclusive, 15:00 UTC
- 31 March 2021 until 31st October 2021 inclusive, 14:00 UTC
- 3 November 2021 until Daylight Saving Time change in Europe, 15:00 UTC
Next Marketing meeting
Wednesday 20 January 2021, 15:00 UTC – Global Marketing Team meeting in the #marketing channel on Slack
➤ How to get started?
If you were in the Marketing Team meeting and would like some extra help to get started to contribute to the project, contact @maedahbatool for information on future Contributors Onboarding events.