The Marketing team promotes WordPress to current and future users and contributors. We create and amplify campaigns to support the growth of the WordPress project.
These summary notes focus on key items and actions from the meeting and to assist with an asynchronous contribution to the Global Marketing Team. For those unable to attend a meeting due to timezone issues, please do join the discussion threads and tasks on Trello after the meeting and send your updates.
- The meeting discussions on the Marketing team on Slack can be found at this Slack thread.
- Read the agenda for this meeting.
- Meeting led by: @webcommsat, @mikerbg, @yvettesonneveld
- Meeting notes and follow-up actions: @oglekler, @lmurillom. Thanks to @meher and @webcommsat for support for the follow-up and actions.
A big thanks to @lmurillom for contributing to drafting last week’s meeting notes. Note: Please review and add comments in suggestion mode – link in the Slack. These notes will be updated as appropriate.
23 Dec: @meher
➤ How can I help?
You can volunteer to contribute to notes for future meetings. Please note that the initial draft is needed by Friday 17.00 UTC each week to help with actions and follow-ups that might be needed.
Welcoming new contributors
The new Learn WordPress resource can help you get started
Tasks, Working Groups, and Team Celebration
Celebrating and task updates during the last week:
- Marketing and communications campaign for Learn WordPress
- 5.6 Release and CoreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. – Related Updates
- LinkedIn Updates
- New time for Global Marketing meetings
- New Years Web Resolutions
Marketing and Communications Campaign for Learn WordPress
- Learn WordPress is officially live and the public facing part of this campaign has formally launched on the 15 December 2020
- Read the news story for launch of Learn WordPress
- There is a lot of material planned and going out particularly in the first promotional week of launch, and we appreciate you sharing and engaging with items on the following channels: @WordCamp Twitter, @WordCamp Facebook, @WordPressEvents on Twitter, @YouTube: WordPress Marketing Team channel, Make WordPress Marketing Team LinkedIn
- The social cards and videos will be issued from these accounts and are planned to maximize reach, show the range of teams involved and to promote diversity and inclusion
- We are working on a six month campaign so there will be lots of opportunities for you to get involved and to share it too!
➤ How can I help?
- Help us promote Learn WordPress
- More material is being created. If you would like to work on this and have video editing, photo editing, experience of social media management in a corporate or organizational environment, or can help with monitoring, then let us know in the marketing channel and please tag @lmurillom
- If you have networks which you think would be useful to promote Learn WordPress for launch and during the three to six month campaign we are working on, or if you can help with video and social graphics work, please let @meher and @webcommsat know
- If you can help with the ongoing editing work for the scheduled promotions, please let @webcommsat, @nalininonstopnewsuk and @lmurillom know
- If you can help subtitling videos, please contact @meher and @lmurillom
Thank you to @webcommsat, @lmurillom, @courane01, @azhiyadev, @evarlese, @camikaos, @meher, @hlashbrooke, @harishanker, @marybaum, @melchoyce and @angelasjin for putting in considerable amount of time for the interviews, content, video, graphics and more for Learn WordPress.
Thank you to @meher for organizing the quiz for the Learn WordPress Contributor party, everyone who attended and huge thanks to @nalininonstopnewsuk for organizing and helping with the accessibilityAccessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) support.
5.6 Release and Core-Related Updates
Task Updates from contributing group member: @meher
- We continue to work on follow up materials, social media packs, slides, and images to help meetupMeetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. groups with WordPress 5.6 outreach
- We are working with getting the final updates for the Question and Answers for the release. People who have contributed and worked on these in the last two weeks are @angelasjin @DaisyO @webcommsat @vimes1984 @OGlekler @MegPhillips91 @yvettesonneveld @annezazu @lmurillom @jellypixel @marybaum @nalininonstopnewsuk @marks99 @sabrinazeidan @ugyensupport and all members of the release squad involved in this task
➤ How can I help?
To promote the release, please share social media posts with the hashtag #WPRelease across LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook.
Update from co-ordinating team members: @lmurillom
The marketing team had a busy week of work and planning. Lots of happenings are announcements. Please do follow, share, and like our updates on LinkedIn. It’s quick and helps expand our reach.
- Learn WordPress Celebration: Post Announcement Link
- Discover Learn: Post Announcement Link
- Weekly #OnlineWPMeetup Roundup: Post Announcement Link
- Learn WordPress News Story: Post Announcement Link
➤ How can I help?
- Contribute by sharing the social media posts with the hashtag #LearnWP
- Please share announcements like the ones above, which you can find on the Make WordPress Marketing Team LinkedIn
New time for Global Marketing meetings
We are aware many of our members are unable to join us until 15:00 UTC and we have been holding off on some of our collaborations in recent weeks with the change in daylight saving time to accommodate this.
Around 62% of the people have voted for 15:00 UTC, but the remainder prefer 14:00 UTC.
We will announce the new timings in January 2020.
New Year’s Resolutions for 2021
Update from co-ordinating team members: @mikerbg
- There were some initial comments, and now @mikerbg is working on a new draft broken out with a different resolution for each month
- Next week there will be a chance to work reviewing and editing the document, in addition to the usual async contribution opportunities
➤ How can I help?
- During the marketing meetings and channel, check out for any updates or tasks about creating New Year’s Resolutions relating to WordPress, and collaborate on the shared document
Learn WordPress Social Media
Task: Working on Learn WordPress social media and marcomms and additional support materials for launch.
Led by: @webcommsat
During the collaboration, there was done on subtitling, reviewing and fact checking draft posts and writing lesson plans and workshop posts linked to the current offer.
5.6 Post-release MarComms
Task: Working on WordPress 5.6 social media and marcomms.
- During the collaboration, work continued processing the latest queries relating to Q&As and GitHubGitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ work
- Social media post drafting work continued and formatting work on the eight Q&A sections already on GitHub. If you are a developer familiar with the items in the release and can help finalize items, please contact @meher
Thank you everyone who has joined, attended, updated the meeting, or contributed asynchronously in the last few days.
Forthcoming Diary Dates
If you need accessibility or language support to participate in any of our work and meetings, please let one of the team reps know in the marketing channel. We are keen to try and help and promote inclusion and diversity in the team.
Thursday 24 December 2020 – As it is Christmas eve and most people are out on Holiday, we are not having a Virtual Coffee Break, Marketing. See you in January 2021
We are planning themed Coffee Break sessions for 2021!
Next Marketing Meeting
Wednesday 23 December 2020, 14:00 UTC, in the Marketing Channel on Make WordPress SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/..
Wednesday 30 December 2020, there will be no Global Marketing meeting, see you in 2021.
Thank you everyone who has joined, attended, and updated the meeting, or contributed asynchronously in the last few days.
➤ How to get started?
If you were in the Marketing Team meeting and would like some extra help to get started to contribute to the project, contact @maedahbatool to get information about the next New Contributors Onboarding meeting.