These summary notes focus on key items and actions from the meeting and to assist with an asynchronous contribution to the Global Marketing Team. For those unable to attend a meeting due to timezone issues, please do join the discussion threads and tasks on Trello after the meeting and send your updates.
Attendees Slack Thread (please add your name in the thread and in the Google doc in suggestion mode if you participated asynchronously and missed your name off the thread)
A big thanks to @maedahbatool and @lmurillom for contributing to drafting last week’s meeting notes. Note: Please review and add comments in suggestion mode – link in the Slack. These notes will be updated as appropriate.
16 Dec: @oglekler
➤ How can I help?
You can volunteer to contribute to notes for future meetings. Please note that the initial draft is needed by Friday 17.00 UTC each week to help with actions and follow-ups that might be needed.
Welcoming new contributors
New Attendees Welcome Thread
Marketing Contributor introductory sessions in 2021 – booking details
Get involved – starter tasks for new and returning contributors, and those who have pledged to support the team and need assistance to get started
Tasks, Working Groups, and Team Celebration
Here’s everything that is worth celebrating and task updates during the last week:
- WordPress 5.6 Release
- December 2020 Meetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. Newsletter
- Community Announcements via LinkedIn
- Learn WordPress platform launch
- New time for Global Marketing Meeting
5.6 Release and Core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress.-Related Updates
Task Updates from contributing group member: @webcommsat
- WordPress 5.6 was released on 8 December 2020. Thank you to the people who have been involved.
- There is strong input from the marketing team in the WordPress 5.6 About page, with a number of our team being chosen for notable contributions. Let’s celebrate their contributions as developers and ambassadors for the marketing team.
- We are now working on all the follow up materials such as Questions and Answers, social media packs, slides, and images to help meetup groups with WordPress 5.6 outreach.
- Thanks to @webcommsat and @meher for working on the release social media posts.
- Please share the 5.6 Release post announcement on the Make WordPress marketing team LinkedIn page.
➤ How can I help?
To promote the release, please share social media posts with the hashtag #WPRelease across LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook.
December 2020 Meetup Newsletter
Update from coordinating team member: @webcommsat
- For December’s Month in WordPress, there are updates on Learn WordPress, online WordPress meetups and the 5.6 Release, all of which the marketing team has been contributing to via cross-team collaboration. You can read all the details in the post
- From the meeting, thanks were expressed to @webcommsat, @andreamiddleton and @harishanker for working to meet the revised deadline for this newsletter after the release. Marketing team members were asked to highlight the opportunity to submit questions for the State of the Word This is the annual report given by Matt Mullenweg, founder of WordPress at WordCamp US. It looks at what we’ve done, what we’re doing, and the future of WordPress. https://wordpress.tv/tag/state-of-the-word/., which is featured in the newsletter
- As the cycle continues we will be starting work on the contributions to Month in WordPress for January 2021
Update from co-ordinating team members: @lmurillom
The marketing team had a busy week of work and planning. Lots of happenings are announcements. Please do follow, share, and like our updates on LinkedIn. It’s quick and really helps expand our reach.
➤ How can I help?
PRIORITY: Contribute by sharing the social media posts with the hashtag #WPRelease.
Please share announcements like the ones above, which you can find on the Make WordPress Marketing Team LinkedIn page.
Learn WordPress Platform
There is work being done for the upcoming Learn WordPress platform launch, and we need assistance with graphics work, formatting the social pack, and more.
➤ How can I help?
If you have networks which you think would be useful to promote Learn WordPress for launch and during the three to six month campaign we are working on, or if you can help with video and social graphics work, please let @meher and @webcommsat know.
Global Marketing Meeting Time
Please complete this scheduling form to help us work out if we need to change the Global #marketing meeting time from January.
We are aware many of our members are unable to join us until 15:00 UTC and we have been holding off on some of our collaborations in recent weeks with the change in daylight saving time to accommodate this.
New Year’s Resolutions for 2021
Task: Creating New Year’s online Resolutions for WordPress. This is something fun we can distribute through social media to bring attention to our goals and priorities for next year.
Led by: @mikerbg
Collaboration Slack Thread
- Collaborations during the meeting and async included Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. discussions, ideas into a Google document and a video conferencing call
- @mikerbg will pull together the suggestions and brainstorming work into a first draft, which will be reviewed next week during a collaboration session
5.6 Post-release MarComms & Learn WordPress
Task: Working on WordPress 5.6 social media and marcomms additional support materials and Learn WordPress launch marketing planning
Led by: @webcommsat
Collaboration Slack Thread
- During the collaboration, work was done on the Google docs and processing the latest queries relating to Q&As and GitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ work
- Social media post drafting work continued, follow-ups for the Accessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) Q&A, and formatting work on the eight Q&A sections already on GitHub. If you are a developer familiar with the items in the release and can help finalize items, please contact @meher
- Planning video and social materials, updating messages with latest changes, and discussing connection with the release cycle
Thank you everyone who has joined, attended, updated the meeting, or contributed asynchronously in the last few days.
Forthcoming Diary Dates
If you need accessibility or language support to participate in any of our work and meetings, please let one of the team reps know in the marketing channel. We are keen to try and help and promote inclusion and diversity in the team.
Wednesday 16 December 2020, 14:00 UTC – Global Marketing Team meeting in the #Marketing Slack channel – Latest Promotions Only.
NOTE: Wednesday 16 December 2020, 15:00 UTC – CANCELLED: Staying Connected Poetry Event and Results from our Fun Challenge. This has had to be postponed to support members of our team who are unwell currently.
Wednesday 16 December 2020, 17:00 UTC & 20:00 UTC – Dev Chat meetings in the #Core Slack channel.
Thursday 17 December 2020, 19:30 UTC – Virtual Coffee Break, Marketing. If you need live captioning to participate, please let @meher know and we will use a live captioning tool.
➤ How to get started?
If you were in the Marketing Team meeting and would like some extra help to get started to contribute to the project, contact @maedahbatool to get information about the next New Contributors Onboarding meeting.