The Marketing team promotes WordPress to current and future users and contributors. We create and amplify campaigns to support the growth of the WordPress project.
Updated 1 Dec
What are we working on?
For the next two weeks, we will focus on materials to support the release and the launch of Learn WordPress.
There are lots of ways new contributors can get involved, come along to the weekly global meetings at 14:00 UTC on SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. (more details below) or contribute async in the 48 hours after the meeting if this time does not work for your timezone and other commitments. New dates for contributor support sessions for early 2021. These are also open to those returning to the team and wanting a refresher and to those who have pledged to contribute under Five for the Future.
A weekly highlight of WordPress MeetupMeetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. events and more news can be found on Marketing team LinkedIn Page
You can keep up with the #WPDiversity announcements on the WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Twitter and Facebook accounts.
We will have a number of collaborations to work on at this week’s Global Marketing Meeting on Wednesday 2 November 2020 at 14:00 UTC in the #Marketing channel on Slack. This will be followed by our dev Marcomms task group working on questions and answers after the main meeting at 15:30 UTC.
- Introduction to new people who have joined the channel during this previous week
- Link to meeting notes and actions / task updates from last week
- Celebrating significant achievements and updates
- Form to figure out if we need to change the Global #marketing meeting time
- Collaborations will be segmented into three task group on the day
- Training / Learn WordPress related
- WordPress 5.6 social media and marcomms additional support (Please read the 5.6 Field Guide and dev notes before the collaborations as it will help to get a better understanding of the release which will help draft social media posts)
- Update on forthcoming meetings and Staying Connected socials
- Collaboration on 5.6 (from approximately 15:15)
- Collaboration – actions team (if you would like to shadow or get involved in the project management work we do, let us know)
- End of weekly meeting and collaborations (resume again at devchat at 20:00 UTC for those involved in Release 5.6)
Where I can find other information?
Updates on other tasks and previous meeting notes are in our Google doc. The link is shared in the meeting and is pinned in our Slack channel. Summaries are being posted on the blog, access has recently been re-established to enable this.
Forthcoming diary dates
If you need accessibilityAccessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) or language support to participate in any of our work and meetings, please let one of the team reps know in the marketing channel. We are keen to try and help and promote inclusion and diversity in the team.
Wednesday 2 December 2020, 17:00 UTC & 20:00 UTC – Dev Chat Meetings in Global WordPress #Core Slack channel.
Thursday 3 December 2020, 19:30 UTC – Virtual Coffee Break, Marketing. This will be led by @miker and @harryjackson1221. If you need live captioning to participate, please let @meher know and we can use a live captioning tool.
The task group working on the post release marketing materials and Learn WordPress will also meet.
Wednesday 9 December 2020, 17:00 UTC & 20:00 UTC – Dev Chat meetings in #Core Slack channel
Thursday 10 December 2020, 19:30 UTC – Virtual Coffee Break, Marketing. If you need live captioning to participate, please let @meher know, who will also be facilitating the event.
Wednesday 16 December 2020, 17:00 UTC & 20:00 UTC – Dev Chat in #Core Slack channel
Wednesday 16 December 2020, 15:00 UTC – Staying Connected Poetry Event and Results from our Fun Challenge. This will take place after the main global marketing meeting that day.
Thursday 17 December 2020, 19:30 UTC – Virtual Coffee Break, Marketing. If you need live captioning to participate, please let @meher know and we will use a live captioning tool.
WordPress 5.6 release schedule
- Tuesday 1 December 2020 – WordPress 5.6 Release CandidateRelease Candidate A beta version of software with the potential to be a final product, which is ready to release unless significant bugs emerge. 2
- Monday 7 December 2020 – WordPress 5.6 Release Dry run
- Tuesday 8 December 2020 – WordPress 5.6 Release