The Marketing team promotes WordPress to current and future users and contributors. We create and amplify campaigns to support the growth of the WordPress project.
(updated post for accessibilityAccessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility))
These summary notes focus on key items and actions from the meeting and to assist with an asynchronous contribution to the Global Marketing Team. For those unable to attend a meeting due to timezone issues, please do join the discussion threads and tasks on Trello after the meeting and send your updates.
- The meeting discussions on the Marketing team Slack can be found in this Slack thread.
- The agenda for this meeting
- Meeting notes and follow-up actions: @YashwardhanRana, @lmurillom
- Attendees Slack Thread
Welcoming new contributors slack thread
Each week we have a contributor who has been with us for a while draft notes supported by one of the working groups. This is then worked on further by the wider group by Saturday morning and used to plan follow-ups, report back to linked teams, give feedback, and plan actions by the Monday 11:00 UTC meeting.
We now have a rota of volunteers to help with this initial draft. We are increasingly writing our updates for team meetings in such a way that they make it easier to be used in our new system of notes and actions and simply copied to the draft notes.
➤ How can I help?
You can volunteer to be a note-taker for one of the future meetings. We currently have a rota. Please note that the initial draft is needed by the end of Friday each week
Tasks, Working Groups, and Team Celebration
6. Celebrations Thread
It’s time to celebrate and thank everyone for all their efforts during the last week at this slack thread.
Big thanks from across the project and credit @webcommsat and @meher for leading and a tremendous amount of work to bring WordPress Translation week-long celebrations together. Thanks too to @nao, @evarlese, @carike, @oglekler, @lmurillom, @MajaLoncar, @vimes1984, @MegPhillips91, @technocrews, @maedahbatool, @rahuldsarker, @kau-boy and @harishanker
Welcome to @fikekomala, @jellypixel who have joined the team and been working with the Indonesian Translation Team, and to @samahnasr who is also one of our new contributors. Thanks too to @mbigul, @ugyensupport and others for joining the closing event, and to all the locales, GTEs, panellists and interviewees.
@antialiasfactory translated 100 strings to Persian during WPTranslationDay and also translated and recorded the Persian onboarding video.
And celebrating all of our marketing team members who have spoken at official WordPress events these last two weeks including:
- @mikerbg at WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Virginia Beach
- @webcommsat at translation week, WordPress Accessibility Day and WordCamp Virginia Beach,
- @megphillips91 at WordCamp Virginia Beach and WordCamp Philly
- @michelleames at WordCamp Virginia Beach and WordCamp Philly
- And all the people who spoke or were interviewed as part of translation week celebrations.
For the first-ever 24 hour WordPress Accessibility Day, we had lots of people familiar to the Marketing Team as members, supporters/ from other teams who work alongside us for specific projects. These included Accessibility event organizers @audrasjb, @chaion07, @joesimpsonjr, and we welcome new to the marketing channel inspired by the event, @sailla. We were pleased to be able to help promote the event and liaise with lead organizers including @joedolson. The list of all the organizers and volunteers of WordPress Accessibility Day.
We also welcome some more new contributors to the channel inspired Accessibility Day and some of the other recent WordCamps where we have had a presence. Thanks to everyone and wonderful to keep welcoming new people and renewing friendships with contributors who have been on the team for a while.
Task Updates – deadlines in the next six weeks
7. International Day of Translation update
Update from: @meher
- We had 45 different translators who translated different strings on International Translation Day.
- We have made 7 interviews, these will be published later this week on the YouTube channel.
- The Venezuelan community is having their translation event this Saturday, October 10, 2020 12pm – 8pm UTC.
- We will do a live event on Saturday time to be announced soon. Plans for the event.
- Resources: Recording of the livestream of 30 September on YouTube.
Interviews and onboarding videos are being added to the channel. They will move to WordPress.tv later in the year.
➤ How can I help? additional marketing and communications support is urgently needed to assist polyglots, reply in the Slack thread, below or initially contact @meher in the main #marketing channel. To get involved with onboarding videos, contact @OGlekler in the channel.
8. WordPress Learn Platform update
Update from: @webcommsat
We are finalizing the draft for the Community P2P2 P2 or O2 is the term people use to refer to the Make WordPress blog. It can be found at https://make.wordpress.org/. post to assist with the full launch of the Learn Platform and will be attending the Community meetings later this week to cover this topic.
9. WordPress Meetups promotions for October & November 2020
Update from coordinating team members: @lmurillom
We are all caught up on the spreadsheet until 17 October 2020, but we need more consistent collaborators.
Please like and share our weekly LinkedIn post on the most interesting Meetups this week.
➤ How can I help?
You can help amplify the social media promotions by retweeting/ sharing our posts which can be found on the WordPress Marketing Team’s LinkedIn page, and in other channels – search #OnlineWPMeetup.
In the future, we will also be using the #OnlineWPMeetupNews to help MeetupMeetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. organizers who have replied to our survey. We will be continuing to work with @harishanker on this in the community team.
10. Sustainability marketing/ promotion to WordCamps and Meetups update
Update from coordinating team members: @webcommsat
Nothing further to report, waiting on other teams.
11. WordPress releases marketing resources
Update from coordinating team members: @yvettesonneveld
We have had several planning meetings regarding the WordPress 5.6 About Page and Release Post.
If you’re not following along with the release process, please read these posts:
- WordPress 5.6 Release Kickoff post.
- Josepha Haden’s release update post.
- Mel Choice’s Introducing the WordPress 2021 theme post.
- WordPress 5.6 About Page Ticket on Track.
➤ How can I help?
- Do you understand the release process, can easily explain tracTrac Trac is the place where contributors create issues for bugs or feature requests much like GitHub.https://core.trac.wordpress.org/. tickets or are a developer with a strong interest in marketing and communications? Contact @webcommsat and @oglekler
- If you have some understanding of WordPress releases, we would love for you to help us decide what features and benefits should be highlighted in these pieces of content. You can do that either as a reply to the ticket or a Google Form survey.
12. Diverse speaker training working group promotions for October 2020
Update from one of the co-ordinating team members: @lmurillom
We continue to work with #WPDiversity to promote these workshops on a more consistent schedule, and we are still drafting social media posts.
We started the October event promotions, and the latest workshops are from October 6-8 and there is one on October 24 2020. This month, the format is using the new Learn WordPress platform, watching the workshops at your own time and pace and then joining in for live discussions and feedback.
Thanks to @webcommsat and @meher for promoting the WordPress Diverse Speakers Workshop and the Learn WordPress platform and encouraging non-English language submissions for workshops throughout the WordPress Accessibility Day and WordPress Translation week celebration.
Please engage with our latest posts on #WPDiversity:
➤ How can I help?
Search #WPDiversity on the WordCamp on Twitter, WordCamp Facebook and Make WordPress Marketing Team on LinkedIn, and share the messages.
Staying Connected Events and Activities
The Marketing Team Calendar
Update from coordinating team member: @oglekler
- We have a calendar with our meetings, collaborations and social activities. Add it to your schedule and stay connected and informed!
- Our different social happenings in the month of October will be published as Diary Dates
- Congratulations to the 3 winners for Science Quiz organized by @MajaLoncar during the WordPress Translation min event.
Virtual Coffee Break
Virtual Coffee Breaks are informal 30-minute coffee break gatherings for contributors to the Global WordPress Marketing team.
For this week we have a Virtual Coffee Break planned for Thursday 8 October 2020 at 20:30 UTC
This activity was of interest to a lot of people but most participants did not make the deadline therefore your last chance to submit is 21 October 2020, 17:00 UTC. Get your creative energy running.
- Minimum two verses (stanzas), maximum four
- Can be song lyrics, poem or guzzle
- Can be in another language accompanied by an English translation
- Can work on an entry individually or with one other person
- Fun event
➤ How can I participate?
If you want to participate in the Poetry Challenge, please submit this form before 21 October 2020, 17:00 UTC.
International Day of Translation tasks
Led by: @webcommsat
- The attendees collaborated on the WordPress Translation Week social monitoring document
- Worked on agenda for Saturday October 10 closing event and reached out to participants
- Gathered WPTD visual assets
If you need accessibility or language support to participate in any of our work and meetings, please let one of the team reps know in the marketing channel. We are keen to try and help and promote inclusion and diversity in the team.
- Thursday 8 October 2020, 13:00 UTC – Learn.WordPress.orgWordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/ meeting.
- Thursday 8 October 2020, 19:30 UTC – Virtual Coffee Break on video conferencing. If you need live captioning to participate, please let @oglekler or @marks99 know and we will use an appropriate tool.
- Monday 12 October 2020, TBA – Planning and actions meeting, with a 10 minute coffee break drop-in for team members who are available.
- Tuesday 13 October 2020, 19:00 UTC – WordPress Release 5.6 Marcomms planning meeting – let us (@marybaum @yvettesonneveld @webcommsat) know if you would like to suggest anything for this meeting of those coordinating the marketing.
- Wednesday 14 October 2020, 5:00 UTC & 20:00 UTC – CoreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. Dev Meeting in Global WordPress #Core SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel.
- Wednesday 14 October 2020, 5:00 UTC & 20:00 UTC – Global Marketing Team Meeting in Global WordPress #Marketing Slack channel.
- Thursday 29 October 2020, Around the World Quiz – time tbc
Wednesday 14 October 2020, 14:00 UTC, in the Marketing Channel on Make WordPress Slack.
Thank you everyone who has joined, attended, and updated the meeting, or contributed asynchronously in the last few days.
➤ How to get started?
If you were in the Marketing Team meeting and still don’t know how to get started to contribute to the project, contact @webcommsat (@abhanonstopnewsuk on Slack) to get information about the next New Contributors Onboarding meeting.