The Marketing team promotes WordPress to current and future users and contributors. We create and amplify campaigns to support the growth of the WordPress project.
Diary dates and forward planning as at w/c 24 August 2020. This will be updated after the meeting on 26 August.
The next meeting will take place on Wednesday 26 August 2020 at 14:00 UTC in the Global WordPress SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. #marketing channel.
If you are reading this agenda on another website and not the make.wordpress.org, please note that we may not be aware of any responses or offers to contribute you make on other sites.
If you are reading this from promotion in other Make Teams or are not yet active in the Marketing Team, there are details below of how you can involved.
Introductions and review of notes
We encourage asynchronous contributions in Slack for the 48 hours after a meeting (until 14:00 UTC on Fridays) to help with different timezones.
- A special welcome to new attendees
- Link to notes (including a review of draft summaries and actions in the Google document – thanks to @yvettesonneveld for working on last week’s).
- Quick peek in our daily lives
Task, working groups and team celebration
6. Celebration time – let’s celebrate our WordPress Marketing accomplishments!
This is where we also include highlights from what team members have been doing related to marketing in the WordPress community.
Updates on tasks with deadlines in the next six weeks
7. Diverse speaker training working group promotions for August and September 2020
Get involved: Can you help amplify the social media promotions? Search #WPDiversity on the WordCamp on Twitter, WordCamp Facebook and Make WordPress Marketing Team on LinkedIn, and share the messages.
8. WordPress 5.5 Q&As and marketing resources
9. International Day of Translation update
Get involved: additional marketing support needed to assist polyglots, reply in the Slack thread or initially contact @meher
10. Staying Connected events and activities – latest diary dates
Reminder of shared calendar and how to use it: from @oglekler
11. Collaboration time
- Diverse Speaker Training Workshop – let’s write some social media messaging
- Video conferencing call for those supporting the Q&A and social media preparation tasks (from 15:15 UTC)
We will use Google Meet with live captioning if needed, Slack, Make WordPress.orgWordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/ coreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. and tracTrac Trac is the place where contributors create issues for bugs or feature requests much like GitHub.https://core.trac.wordpress.org/., GitHubGitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ and Google Docs
More on our Questions and Answers work to help promote WordPress Releases
Any other business/ awareness of other related Make WordPress tasks
You can also suggest to one of the team reps the day before the meeting if you have an idea for inclusion at a future meeting.
The meeting will be formally closed at the end of the collaborations session.
If you need accessibilityAccessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) or language support to participate in any of our work and meetings, please let one of the team reps know in the marketing channel. We are keen to try and help and promote inclusion and diversity in the team.
Thursday 27 August 2020, 19:30 UTC – Virtual Coffee Break on video conferencing. If you need live captioning to participate, please let @webcommsat or @marks99 know and we will use an appropriate tool.
Monday 31 August 2020
– 19:15 UTC: Marketing Q&As and social media for WordPress 5.5.
Wednesday 2 September 2020, 14:00 UTC Global Marketing Team Meeting. Note, there will not be a collaboration session at 15:15 UTC on 2 September. It will be rescheduled to another day.
Thursday 3 September 2020, 19:30 UTC – Virtual Coffee Break, on video conferencing and Slack for those unable to join on video.
Staying Connected – advance event dates
Poetry competition now open
- Entries now open
- Closing date 31 August 2020, 17:00 UTC
- Minimum two verses (stanzas), maximum four
- Can be song lyrics, poem or guzzle
- Can be in another language accompanied by an English translation
- Can work on an entry individually or with one other person
- Fun event
Wednesday 26 August 2020, 17:00 UTC (NEW TIME) – fun social quiz for the team, organized by @majaloncar
Thursday 17 September 2020, 17:00 UTC – Around the World quiz organized by @meherand promoting different cultures and countries in the WordPress community. Followed by a short virtual coffee break.
- WordPress.org Quarter 2, 2020 Update including the Marketing Team
- Marketing Team update – 14 July 2020
- Marketing Team update – 2 June 2020
- Resources to help you get started contributing – we are expanding on these, could you help with this?
- Marketing Team Handbook