Marketing Team Notes – February 27th, 2019

Today’s Meeting

Meeting Attended By: @siobhanseija, @maedahbatool, @joostdevalk, @yvettesonneveld, @harryjackson1221, @joelobo, @michelleames, @abhanonstopnewsuk, @jonoalderson, @newyokerlaura

Notes Taken By: @maedahbatool

Slack Timestamp

Celebration/Achievements in the Last Week

  • @siobhanseija — I joined the organising team for WordCamp Nijmegen, which should be a lot of fun!
  • @joostdevalk@jonoalderson and I had our first requests for analytics data from other teams, that was nice.
  • @michelleames — Personally, I was announced as Keynote for WordCamp Kent. And asked to keynote another that isn’t public yet.
  • @newyokerlaura — Working with the WCUS team to onboard new folks.
  • @abhanonstopnewsuk — Sponsorship post is all finished after review, feedback phase with sponsors, editing etc. With @siobhanseija for final steps. Great team input on all aspects. A good example of how all our skills come together.

Task Lead Updates

  • @joostdevalk:
  • Still thinking about what the history page should be and discussing that with Matt and others.
  • The design of /mobile/ will be discussed in the #design meeting tonight.
  • The design of the showcase has been discussed in the #design meeting last week, it needs some updates.
  • @jonoalderson and I are still working on getting better analytics measurements across the board.
  • We’re also working on improving SEO, we’ve had some nice changes this week with titles of WordPress themes and plugins now actually containing “WordPress Theme” & “WordPress Plugin”.
  • @siobhanseija: https://trello.com/c/CPcpxveZ/201-first-time-at-contributor-day-heres-what-you-need-to-know
  • I just didn’t get around to this before but I’m hoping to kick-start it this week
  • I just discussed with @joostdevalk that posts like this one may need a different place or input from a different team. But we’d like to at least start writing from the perspective of joining the marketing team.
  • @abhanonstopnewsuk — There are lots we have been doing at WCEU which will help with information and cross-links too.
  • @abhanonstopnewsuk:
  • What to expect as a contributor feature including interviews with a number of contributors is all finished bar one photo.
  • @newyokerlaura — This is awesome. I will pass this info to Aaron Campbell who is spearheading the WCUS Contributor Day Team. It (why contribute post) for the marketing blog as the first step, but think this would work well promoting it on the “make community”. I would suggest it for WordCamp.org news and can speak to Hugh there about it if you’re happy @joostdevalk.
  • @joostdevalk — Sounds good @abhanonstopnewsuk. Speaking to Hugh would be a good thing. I think the make marketing blog is great for our internal communication, but for stuff that deserves more eyes, and a lot of this does, we should be looking at better places to publish it.
  • @siobhanseija — Yes, the team has been creating some valuable content, nice work! Especially @abhanonstopnewsuk, you’re on a roll and I love how you get so many people involved on the docs!
  • @joelobo:
  • A couple of months back we spoke about getting this post which I wrote on .org in some form: https://make.wordpress.org/marketing/2018/11/07/how-to-create-a-business-website-with-wordpress/ What’s the best way to approach this?
  • @joostdevalk — Joe, I’m working on a plan for a wordpress.org site structure that allows for this type of content to exist. I think almost everyone agrees that it’s needed, but we don’t have a logical place for it to “live” yet.
  • @abhanonstopnewsuk — This post has had a lot of contribution and writing team as a whole and getting direct feedback which meant we were able to get a great package together.
  • @joelobo — Agreed. I’d argue it could on as it is on .org with a few minor tweaks. Perhaps I’m wrong.
  • @yvettesonneveld — The fact that so many now agree that it’s needed already is a huge win. We will find that gorgeous home, I’m sure!
  • @abhanonstopnewsuk:
  • The what to expect as a sponsor has had a lot of work on it and feedback from WordCamps and sponsors, so it could be a real benefit for sponsors teams at WordCamps if available via the handbook too.
  • @yvettesonneveld — I wonder if it would be helpful to repurpose this blog post into a pdf document that organizers in charge of sponsoring could share with potential sponsors too. Like an e-guide.
  • @newyokerlaura — There’s a lot that could benefit from being in PDF format.
  • @abhanonstopnewsuk — Sounds excellent. We would need to get community ok on content first, I suggest. Happy to talk to the team there as I had to check items with them for this and WCLDN sponsors recently, which fed into this document too.
  • @siobhanseija — Yeah, I’ve been discussing this with Joost as well. A lot of the posts we did over the last months are valuable and should have a different place!
  • @newyokerlaura — I know this may sound crazy, but having a document respiratory. Like a Library divided by topic might help. Can grab what they need.
  • @joostdevalk — Well the handbooks are meant to be that. But more and more I’m coming to the conclusion that we probably need to be maintaining sections in other team’s handbooks.

New Business

  • @joostdevalk:
  • I’ve been talking to @johnparkinson about getting some of the awesome posts about videos by @siobhanseija and @abhanonstopnewsuk to be cross-posted to blog.wordpress.tv
  • @yvettesonneveld — Maybe the design team could help them create a slide template. With some slides and a free Zoom account, it’s easy to turn the blog posts into video as well.
  • @harryjackson1221:
  • We are still working on organization and submission requirements for the Showcase, and have a Doodle to help us set a meeting up to allow for the most people to attend. Feel free to plug in in some availability on that here: https://doodle.com/poll/n6462yvsmtcmd2s5
  • We have identified a few action items last time, and hope to flesh those out further the next time we meet – which will hopefully be in the next few days. Once we have a list of people wanting to attend, we can create a DM and share the agenda and other items we have come up with so far.
  • @siobhanseija — I think I’d like to join! I’ll fill out the Doodle later on.
  • @joostdevalk:
  • I’d love all your input here: https://make.wordpress.org/marketing/2019/02/20/gutenberg-page-changes/
  • @siobhanseija — Yes! Actually, this is something I meant to touch on today. So anyone can chime in, Joost asks for input on the make/marketing blog, like the post above. He also shares the posts in this channel, but you might have missed them. If you have any input, please do comment on the post! This is also great if you just don’t have your opinion ready right at the moment you see the question. You can think about it a bit more and still share your two cents.
  • @joostdevalk — Yeah the goal here is to make larger decisions based on input that people can give when they have time, not on whether they show up for the meeting.