The Marketing team promotes WordPress to current and future users and contributors. We create and amplify campaigns to support the growth of the WordPress project.
Notes Taken By: @maedahbatool
Celebration/Achievements in the Last Week
- @siobhanseija — We published this blog post by @abhanonstopnewsuk: https://make.wordpress.org/marketing/2019/02/13/video-roundup-organizing-a-wordpress-contribution-event/
- @abhanonstopnewsuk — Thanks everyone who worked this last week on reviewing, answering questions and adding sections in response to feedback on what can sponsors accept the article, especially to @Kate Bolin and @yvettesonneveld.
- @harryjackson1221 — It may not be a part of the work we are doing for this team specifically, but it is something to celebrate. We were able to successfully get our MeetupMeetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. scheduled: https://www.meetup.com/WordPresshr/events/259101587/
Task Lead Updates
- @siobhanseija — The Social Media Plan for WordCamps publication has stalled. Question for Joost to help move this forward again to its various publication locations. https://trello.com/c/Z9uQJlQk/21-creating-a-social-media-plan-for-wordcamps
- Why You Should Contribute to WordPress? https://trello.com/c/xSdYhWbQ/243-why-you-should-contribute-to-wordpress. @abhanonstopnewsuk — Contributor DayContributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/. piece – just final elements. Any joy finding a US pics? Siobhan, anything further you want to add? Thanks, everyone for all the work on this and the reviews. @siobhanseija will check this week and check with colleagues for pics.
- @miker — 5 for the Future Email Template for Contributors to Use to Approach their Company https://trello.com/c/V7dAnfne/220-5-for-the-future-email-template-for-contributors-to-use-to-approach-their-company. We’ve had the card on the 5 for the future messaging for a while, but I think it’s fair the focus has shifted pretty dramatically away from recruiting since we had the initial conversations last year. It would be worth a conversation in the near future on our overall priority level for it.
- That being said, I am still working on this. Part of what I see us needing is some shareable content to go along with it. We have put out a lot of text-based content, but have limited options with that.
- I am working on a proof of concept video (as a personal contribution) that I think could generate some attention. I have a voice artist I’ve worked with before record some audio which was completed this week. I am working on the video now, but have it largely complete. I am hoping I will have a finished version for next week.
- @siobhanseija — Sounds like exciting stuff @miker! I’m curious to see what comes of it!
- @miker — I want to improve on the video side, so figure this would be a good way to kill a couple of birds with one stone.
- @abhanonstopnewsuk — What can sponsors expect at WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more.? https://trello.com/c/f4iXxZqb/203-what-should-new-sponsors-expect-at-a-wordcamp
- @yvettesonneveld and @Kate Bolin have reviewed and added considerably to the Sponsors piece. Two additions are being incorporated this afternoon. Thank you both. Siobhan your previous questions have now been answered too.
- In answer to the one remaining question on the document, we have decided to link directly to the community guidance for sponsors to ensure it is up-to-date. This will be updated today and ready for the publication queue, completing four rounds of edits.
- Pictures – if anyone has group sponsor shots from a WordCamp which could be used, please add them to them to the TrelloTrello Project management system using the concepts of boards and cards to organize tasks in a sane way. This is what the make.wordpress.com/marketing team uses for example: https://trello.com/b/8UGHVBu8/wp-marketing. card with credit details.
- @harryjackson1221 — There is work for a new person to do here. Met with @abhanonstopnewsuk, @Rubio and we really made some progress on fleshing out the showcase organization, and requirements for entries. We identified some action items, and I am going to be moving those up in the agenda if anyone wants to pitch in on the task. Just pingPing The act of sending a very small amount of data to an end point. Ping is used in computer science to illicit a response from a target server to test it’s connection. Ping is also a term used by Slack users to @ someone or send them a direct message (DM). Users might say something along the lines of “Ping me when the meeting starts.” one of us, and we can add you to the DM, and update you on the previous discussions! https://docs.google.com/document/d/10k6WNb2wCOU5yJHDqE1KGiJwrpWDu9pfzQ-hnxV2QCk/edit#
- @harryjackson1221 — I am creating a Trello card for this right now, and will update with a list of action items and milestones later today. https://trello.com/c/SdIcVK6q/257-showcase-redesign-organization-and-requirements
- @Rubio — Sounds good! I’ll look into it later today. Thanks for doing that. I think we can really nail down what’s needed for the new submission form and hopefully make getting the showcases out more effectively and with a better production value/game plan.
- @harryjackson1221 — I think we should create another doodle and we can map out another meeting that more people can attend.
- @harryjackson1221 — If anyone wishes to help out with the Showcase Redesign project, @Rubio has created a Doodle to help us decide on the best time to meet. Feel free to join the conversation: https://doodle.com/poll/n6462yvsmtcmd2s5
- @Rubio — Here’s the doodle: https://doodle.com/poll/n6462yvsmtcmd2s
- @abhanonstopnewsuk — Global WordPress Translation Day 4 – this will take place on 11 May 2019. Please do share the dates and add them to your diary.
- Would anyone like to write (or help write) a short promotion on this for the marketing blog? This could be a task for someone who is also a polyglot or wants to learn more about being a translator.
- @maedahbatool — I’ll write a small post on the marketing blog.
- @abhanonstopnewsuk — WPTV has a story which can do with some marketing help. It has lots of statistics. If you are keen on stats, please reply to this thread and we can link you with the information. There will be lots of support available from marketing and WPTV, so great for new people to work on too. @siobhanseija and I have been working alongside WPTV during the last year and they have some very good community stories to share and very friendly team. We have many in this team who also contribute to WordPress.TV.
- @siobhanseija — At WordCamp London (first weekend of April), I’ll lead the marketing table at Contributor day. I’ll be preparing it so that we can make optimal use of our time and resources there. If any of you has a specific project you think would fit the bill, let me know! There is where quite some people there last year, albeit mostly new contributors, so I think we can get a lot done in one day! https://trello.com/c/lehg6Aho
@siobhanseija — @mcdwayne has left this SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel. I wanted to take a moment and thank him for all the time, effort, and wisdom he brought to this team! He’s decided his passion now lies in other areas and is looking into contributing to the subjects that spark his joy now, so to say thanks for everything you did Dwayne! Hope to see you soon.