The Marketing team promotes WordPress to current and future users and contributors. We create and amplify campaigns to support the growth of the WordPress project.
Meeting Attended By: @joostdevalk, @maedahbatool, @jenblogs4u, @harryjackson1221, @meher, @michelleames, @yvettesonneveld, @Jayman, @aaroncampbell, @jonoalderson, @luehrsen, @zetaraffix, @kenshino, @PriscillaBocage, @abhanonstopnewsuk & @dhuruvpandya
Notes Taken By: @yvettesonneveld
- @joostdevalk has initiated a redesign for the WordPress showcase that will also include case studies. Pragmatic from the UK is donating design hours. Wireframes for the design have been created already.
- WordPress has reached a 33% market share.
- @Miker attended a WP meeting in Richmond last week and received some positive feedback on the work of the marketing team.
Task Lead Updates
Short History of WordPress
TrelloTrello Project management system using the concepts of boards and cards to organize tasks in a sane way. This is what the make.wordpress.com/marketing team uses for example: https://trello.com/b/8UGHVBu8/wp-marketing. Link: https://trello.com/c/gA79CUOg/249-a-short-history-of-wordpress
- @joostdevalk will be reviewing this and will try to move it to the next step, hopefully, this week.
- @harryjackson1221 mentions that the case studies could use some love. Add yourself to the card, reach out to him. This is a great project to get started on if you’re new here and looking for something to do. @joostdevalk shares he’d like to get a case study done on the github.blog site.
- So far we have not reached out to publishers actively. @kenshino inquires after the reason to truncate case studies and leaving out names. @harryjackson1221 refers to the guidelines on the Trello card and also shares he gladly makes sure people / companies get a proper attribution.
- The new Case Study wireframe will include room for agency tags, so that agencies can link to an overview of case studies published on the WordPress blog.
5 for the Future Email Template for Contributors to Use to Approach Their Company
- @miker shares that he has removed the deadline from this card, as that deadline related to WCUS. This is a long term project and still is in progress.
- @miker is recruiting contributors to help out spreading the message on social and someone to participate both in the hosting and in the marketing team to improve communication between those two teams.
- @joostdevalk mentions that he is in touch with the hosting team regularly and is willing to take on that role for now. Also, @maedabatool offered help.
New Business Thread
- @birgitpaulihaack posted a comment on last weeks meeting note requesting social media sharing buttons.
- @joostdevalk, @kenshino, @maedabatool, @harryjackson1221 agree that nobody’s using them anymore and they add they make web pages bulkier than necessary.
- Mobile can easily share anything from their phone and @jonoalderson adds that the Chrome native share dialog makes sharing without on-page buttons a breeze too.
Next Weeks’ Meeting
- Our next meeting is planned for February 6th, 2019 at 7 am PST, or 15:00 GMT.
- @joostdevalk won’t be able to attend due to YoastCon, some of the other team reps may not be able to attend either. Please keep an eye out for the blog and the marketing channel for an update.