The Marketing team promotes WordPress to current and future users and contributors. We create and amplify campaigns to support the growth of the WordPress project.
Marketing Team Vision
Our vision for the Marketing Team is to be the go-to resource on strategy and content for other WordPress teams. We reiterate our mission each week so that everyone who is new to the team understands what our goals are. This helps with onboarding.
We’d love you to join the Marketing Team. If you have any questions or feel lost (all of us do at some point), please feel free to pingPing The act of sending a very small amount of data to an end point. Ping is used in computer science to illicit a response from a target server to test it’s connection. Ping is also a term used by Slack users to @ someone or send them a direct message (DM). Users might say something along the lines of “Ping me when the meeting starts.” any of us in SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/.. We’re here to help guide and mentor you. xoxo ~ Bridget (@gidgey on Slack)
Everyone is welcome and encouraged to join in, comment on posts, and participate in meetings and on projects. And, yes, you can add yourself to any Trello Card you’d like to work on.
Meeting Attended By: @slobhanseija, @yvettesonneveld, @miker, @RobertH, @harryjackson1221, @jenblogs4u, @DianTankov, @abhanonstopnewsuk, @vasiathess, @coachbirgit, @scottjones, @Brean McDede, @jnovakfl, @Joseph Dickson
Last Week’s Successes
- @miker – WCUS contributor dayContributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/. was a great success! We got a lot of really exciting projects completed and had a lot of conversations with other teams. A big theme was on ways to improve communication and coordination within teams. I think this is going to lead to some great things in 2019!
- @abhanonstopnewsuk – We continue to receive marketing videos from WPTV and this week some from Japan
Task Lead Updates
- @miker – Highlights a task on TrelloTrello Project management system using the concepts of boards and cards to organize tasks in a sane way. This is what the make.wordpress.com/marketing team uses for example: https://trello.com/b/8UGHVBu8/wp-marketing. (WCUS Contributor Day Recap). During the meeting it appears that needed input is missing. We decide to archive the task.
- @Abhanonstopnews and @siobhanseija are completing the next round of edits for the VideoBlog
- @harryjackson1221 mentions that 2 new case studies have been submitted. These are great opportunities for newscomers to get involved. @scottjones offered to help out
- @miker – There has been a *lot* of work done on various initiatives for 5 for the Future.At WCUS we spent a significant amount of time discussing ways to promote 5ftF in 2019, and I have been working to consolidate that into a marketing proposal for the year. There are a couple of objectives for this initiative this week. I would appreciate feedback this week, and will add it back to the agenda next week for further discussion and publication in our notes. I also think it would be good to start discussing ways to start consolidating a number of the other cards for this initiative, as we are starting to drown in 5ftF cards.
- @scotjones – Work was done on learn.wordpress.orgWordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/ during the contributor day, @Breann McDede smashed it alongside me. The Training team have been working on new pages/designs with the design team though since the copy was finished, plus we decided to add extra sections into the home page, so this is still in progress with more copy needed, which I can crack on with now that the designs are finished:https://trello.com/c/QCUfsrav/234-learnwordpressorg-landing-page-copy
- @siobhanseija – Abha came to me with a great idea: to give our blog post about subtitling for WordPress some more attention. So anyone can help with this, will only take a couple of minutes! Help us share this blog post so more people see it. Details on the card
- @abhanonstopnewsuk – The designers continue to work on this and testing is ongoing to see if Google Slides can be a suitable tool for people to adapt the template to use their own picture, location etc. It would be free and accessible to use on this platform, and the template could be available on the marketing google drive. Commitments to some WordCamps in December etc and the holidays have naturally delayed this slightly. Will report back when the template is back from the designers. We thank @zetaraffix and colleagues for their ongoing help and expertise, and for exploring the best way of creating this template so other teams could adapt it too.
- @abhanonstopnews – This blog has gone through quite a few updates and testing, and is now being finalised. Thanks to everyone involved particularly @Maziar who pulled the initial draft together, has been sourcing photos and lots more. It is great working together. What we need help with is anyone who can give a quote about their experience of contributing at a Contributor Day outside WCEU. Just reply to this thread if you can help or write a quote we can adapt. If you have a picture we could use of you at a Contributor event, that would be useful too to market this blog. We have asked WCUS and a two other camps for a picture to use with this blog as currently all our pictures are from WCEU.
- @harryjackson1221 – My thoughts are that we come up with a shareable blurb each week, and everyone from the group shares it to see what kind of engagement we can have, whether it be a case study, or other type of deliverable, getting the word out like this would be an easy target. Its worked so far to get additional case study submissions, and the glossary was a hit on social media as well.
- @miker – I think our biggest opportunity in 2019 is going to be better communication of our initiatives. We have lots of great stuff, but we have struggled at times to get it to the appropriate teams and partners. As far of that, we are going to have more regular and formal outreach and coordination with other teams – especially Hosting Community. Each week during these meetings, I am hopeful we can use some of the time to consolidate _what_ we want to communicate each week, and _how_ we are going to distribute the content. So please think about your projects and what you would like to communicate, and bring those updates each week! We have a great opportunity to drastically expand the reach of our marketing efforts without really changing our workflow. We do some great work as a team, we just need to be more consistent in telling everybody about it
- @abhanonstopnewsuk – Video interviews with members of the WordPress community. @Rubio and I have made a start on editing three of the interviews filmed at WCLDN, which with Dan and the team we are setting up as a single Trello card. Done will be edited videos, published on WPTV, subtitled, and with a blog on the marketing channel highlighting these three videos. These are from the collection of video interviews which have been filmed, storyboarded and which we are working through. Thanks to the other editors who have started looking at a couple of the other interviews too.
Our next meeting will be Wednesday January 16th, 11am EST.