The Marketing team promotes WordPress to current and future users and contributors. We create and amplify campaigns to support the growth of the WordPress project.
Marketing Team Vision
Our vision for the Marketing Team is to be the go-to resource on strategy and content for other WordPress teams. We reiterate our mission each week so that everyone who is new to the team understands what our goals are. This helps with onboarding.
We’d love you to join the Marketing Team. If you have any questions or feel lost (all of us do at some point), please feel free to pingPing The act of sending a very small amount of data to an end point. Ping is used in computer science to illicit a response from a target server to test it’s connection. Ping is also a term used by Slack users to @ someone or send them a direct message (DM). Users might say something along the lines of “Ping me when the meeting starts.” any of us in SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/.. We’re here to help guide and mentor you. xoxo ~ Bridget (@gidgey on Slack)
Everyone is welcome and encouraged to join in, comment on posts, and participate in meetings and on projects. And, yes, you can add yourself to any Trello Card you’d like to work on.
Today’s notes taken by: @siobhanseija
- @coachbirgit: Thanks to last week’s conversation, the local German team created a dedicated TrelloTrello Project management system using the concepts of boards and cards to organize tasks in a sane way. This is what the make.wordpress.com/marketing team uses for example: https://trello.com/b/8UGHVBu8/wp-marketing. board and Drive folder.
- @abhanonstopnewsuk has been talking to a lot of WP agencies about filling in the case study survey. A lot of positive reactions!
New Person Thread
- @gidgey would like to reiterate that work can (and should) be done outside of the meeting. If you cannot attend, that doesn’t mean you cannot contribute!
Task Lead Updates
Write a “How to Create a WordPress Business Website” Guide on WP Marketing
Task Lead: @joelobo and @abhanonstopnewsuk
Status: Red Circle
- @gidgey feels this is probably too long (2600+ words), that’s too much copy to get accepted to WP.org. Might be publishable as is on the Marketing blog.
- @abhanonstopuk says publishing on the marketing blog is fine and isn’t clear yet about what it means to add it to the tracTrac Trac is the place where contributors create issues for bugs or feature requests much like GitHub.https://core.trac.wordpress.org/. board for MetaMeta Meta is a term that refers to the inside workings of a group. For us, this is the team that works on internal WordPress sites like WordCamp Central and Make WordPress.. @joelobo asks if they need to work on a landing page for dot org as well?
Case Study for Land Trust Alliance by 2 Dogs Media
Status: Red Dot
- @gidgey has pinged @goldsteinmedia for this card, as they were looking for a task to pick up. @abhanonstopnewsuk offers to add it to the list to work on at WC Milan.
Social Media Poster Template for Contribution Event
Task Lead: @abhanonstopnewsuk (marketing) and @zetaraffix (design)
- @mcdwayne would like to know what the goal of this card is. Is it making a Canva template?
- @gidgey says it cannot be.
- Cleared up by @abhanonstopnewsuk and @zetaraffix: they suggest the template to be on the Marketing Google Drive and a blog posted on the marketing blog. It’ll probably be a .psd (Photoshop file) that organizers can use to drop in pictures and hashtags, while using the incorporated branding. Abha and Raffaella are meeting in person soon, they’ll clear things up then.
Studio Z/Miedziak Regional News Site Case Study
Status: Red Circle
- @gidgey needs more information and has emailed Studio Z (again).
- @abhanonstopnewsuk has brought in some new cards from contributor days and marketing videos. They are in the wish list on Trello for anyone who wants to take them on.
- @mcdwayne’s new card: sharing (i.e. on Twitter) the efforts of the WP Training team. He’s chosen a repository to share and the card is completed when that’s been tweeted about by marketing team members 10 times. See card: https://trello.com/c/ke6SpQWt/221-tweet-the-training-resource-wptrainingteam-choosing-and-installing-themes-10-times.
- @joelobo sent in a question about attributing writers when we publish on the Marketing blog. There’s no way of adding users/giving more people access. Consensus: adding a line at the end of each blog stating who’s contributed to it. Important: it’s your own responsibility to add your name to a working doc, or you won’t be mentioned!
- The link to share the form for submitting a case study: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe9cYQRDtJCcI1nphPTfO_Lb7qAGJP68l0_ceyj0uMNzOwI2g/viewform.
- @gidgey registered http://bit.ly/SubmitWPCaseStudy as a vanity URLURL A specific web address of a website or web page on the Internet, such as a website’s URL www.wordpress.org. This makes the link easier to remember and share!
- @gidgey has a note: There are a lot of projects going on and we’d like to keep our done = ______ as concise and achievable as possible.
- My request is that we only each lead one active Trello task at a time. Active = in progress.
- This will help us from not being overwhelmed as task leads, not overwhelming the project leads and the Team Reps.
- Can we, as a team, agree to this?
- @gidgey also states: I’d also like to remind that done = will be one of the following 95% of the time.
- done = published to our blog
- done = uploaded to WordPress.TV
- done = turned in Google Doc to another team