The Marketing team promotes WordPress to current and future users and contributors. We create and amplify campaigns to support the growth of the WordPress project.
Marketing Team Vision
Our vision for the Marketing Team is to be the go-to resource on strategy and content for other WordPress teams. We reiterate our mission each week so that everyone who is new to the team understands what our goals are. This helps with onboarding.
We’d love you to join the Marketing Team. If you have any questions or feel lost (all of us do at some point), please feel free to pingPing The act of sending a very small amount of data to an end point. Ping is used in computer science to illicit a response from a target server to test it’s connection. Ping is also a term used by Slack users to @ someone or send them a direct message (DM). Users might say something along the lines of “Ping me when the meeting starts.” any of us in SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/.. We’re here to help guide and mentor you. xoxo ~ Bridget (@gidgey on Slack)
Everyone is welcome and encouraged to join in, comment on posts, and participate in meetings and on projects. And, yes, you can add yourself to any Trello Card you’d like to work on.
Today’s notes taken by: @harryjackson1221
Meeting attended by: @gidgey, @mcdwayne, @miker, @harryjackson1221, @maedahbatool, @jenblogs4u, @westcounty.media, @goldsteinmedia, @coachbirgit, @Breann McDede, @Josh B, @abhanonstopnewsuk, @siobhanseija
We celebrated a few wins today, including the following:
Polyglots Infographic Copy
TrelloTrello Project management system using the concepts of boards and cards to organize tasks in a sane way. This is what the make.wordpress.com/marketing team uses for example: https://trello.com/b/8UGHVBu8/wp-marketing. Link: https://trello.com/c/cTnKhdtE/196-polyglots-infographic-copy-3-infographics
- @gidgey finished one of the 3 docs linked. As a team we discussed the next steps needed for the remaining 2 docs, to help others get started with the work needed.
Case Study – Land Trust Alliance
- This case study was presented to the group as a way for newcomers to get involved easily. @harryjackson1221 advised the doc is laid out with the headings and submission, needing that to be converted to copy.
Proposal for Workflow of Local Marketing Teams
- @coachbirgit brought up a proposal to have a low barrier for all local contributors in their native language but under the hood of the global project structure.
- This was helpful to the group because some in Marketing were not aware of the http://dewp.slack.com/ instance, so it brought visibility to how some of the other local teams are operating.
- @coachbirgit and @phil were both made Trello admins to help get this proposal up and running, and allow for the local team to have communication with the make.wordpress.orgWordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/ Marketing team.
Fundraising Policy for the Handbook
- @miker created a draft policy on fundraising for the Marketing Team and moved the card to Needs Approval for inclusion in the handbook. Bridget approved it and moved it to the needs publishing column.
We finished the meeting with some WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. US Idea brainstorming for Contributor DayContributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/. (CD).
- @gidgey would like to see some more case studies submitted and worked on.
- We also want to avoid items that cannot be completed during CD which will allow us to achieve some wins.
- @mcdwayne proposed creating tweets about the work other teams are doing, and Instagram.
- @harryjackson1221 proposed having some canned blurbs for social media sharing set up prior to the WordCamp.
- @Jenblogs4u proposed finishing the polyglots infographic we have been working on.
- @abhanonstopnewsuk asked if the needed steps could be added, as it is not clear what is needed still for the infographic project, and @jenblogs4u suggested breaking it up into bits that can be worked on one page at a time.
- @abhanonstopnewsuk provided a suggestion for working on interviews with WordPressers for our blog.