Marketing Team Vision
Our vision for the Marketing Team is to be the go-to resource on strategy and content for other WordPress teams. We reiterate our mission each week so that everyone who is new to the team understands what our goals are. This helps with onboarding.
We’d love you to join the Marketing Team. If you have any questions or feel lost (all of us do at some point), please feel free to ping The act of sending a very small amount of data to an end point. Ping is used in computer science to illicit a response from a target server to test it’s connection. Ping is also a term used by Slack users to @ someone or send them a direct message (DM). Users might say something along the lines of “Ping me when the meeting starts.” any of us in Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/.. We’re here to help guide and mentor you. xoxo ~ Bridget (@gidgey on Slack)
Everyone is welcome and encouraged to join in, comment on posts, and participate in meetings and on projects. And, yes, you can add yourself to any Trello Card you’d like to work on.
Today’s notes taken by: Machielle Thomas
Meeting attended by: @mcdwayne @harryjackson1221 @jenblogs4u @brenneradams @cjross @mikerbg @westcounty.media @gidgey @vishalmukadam
We published the survey about where people get news.
We put the accessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) section in the handbook.
How to Get Help for WordPress
Trello Project management system using the concepts of boards and cards to organize tasks in a sane way. This is what the make.wordpress.com/marketing team uses for example: https://trello.com/b/8UGHVBu8/wp-marketing. Link: https://trello.com/c/HSPTIU1j/147-how-to-get-help-for-wordpress
- What is going well? @cjross said that he reached out late to Design for an image, but once that is complete, this can be pushed forward.
Close Marketing Case Study
Trello Link: https://trello.com/c/qGqAA6G5/165-closemarketing-case-study
- What is going well? Waiting for final review and @GIDGEY took on the task of getting a design image from the screenshots.
Human Made Case Study: Capgemini
Trello Link: https://trello.com/c/RJqX0JfQ/182-human-made-case-study-capgemini
Task-Lead: Task-lead: @mcdwayne
- All work actually done by: @anafransilva
- What is going well? @harryjackson1221: Made an editorial pass and added some suggestions – needs a couple of other eyes on it, but this is wrapping up nicely
- What can someone new in Marketing help with? @gidgey: Offered to take a final pass and @harryjackson1221 dropped in a screenshot as the featured image A featured image is the main image used on your blog archive page and is pulled when the post or page is shared on social media. The image can be used to display in widget areas on your site or in a summary list of posts..
Differences between WP.com and WP.org better
Trello Link: https://trello.com/c/4cXuaTeB/79-differences-between-wpcom-and-wporg-better
Task Lead: @bseekins / @gidgey
- What is going well? @gidgey: Taking over as the task lead since Alex is busy. @mcdwayne updated the Trello card.
- What can someone new in Marketing help with? Needs approval
Create a Style Guide + Brand Book for Marketing
Trello Link: https://trello.com/c/eEjbgIGl/87-create-a-style-guide-brand-book-for-marketing
OWNER: @gidgey / @jayman
- What is going well? @gidgey: I’m not sure if @Jayman has the bandwidth for fonts and colors but I’m fine with anyone contributing to that section. Also, I need to write out (or am open to help with) the brand voice section. The SEO section is done. Quite a lot is actually done. But I will be at WordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Nijmegen’s Contributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/. along with Jen and Yvette so if it’s still not done August 30, we’ll spend time working on it there, too.
- What can someone new in Marketing help with? @Gidgey: I’d love some color and font suggestions. Anyone can suggest that.
Survey for /download page
Trello Link: https://trello.com/c/ZAzzDRzj/186-survey-for-download-page
- What is going well? @mikerbg: I think we resolved the confusion on this card, and will hopefully be moving forward today. I posted an update on the card, but we will get the poll daddy account set up today. @harryjackson1221 will create the account – if it doesn’t current exists (as we believe). He’ll share it within the marketing lead channel. I messaged @chanthaboune yesterday to say hello and talk about it a little.
Video interviews on WP Marketing
Trello Link: https://trello.com/c/ke8Uq4jV/166-video-interviews
Creating a social media plan for WordCamps
Trello Link: https://trello.com/c/Z9uQJlQk/21-creating-a-social-media-plan-for-wordcamps
Task-Lead: @webcommsat Formerly: @DustinNay
- What is going well? Still need some help with subtitling. Work ongoing on editing the video. Many thanks to the team. We are waiting on video files fron WordCamp London. Had 20 emails with lot more video practice interviews. We are also sending responses for video spec and draft questions to all WordCamps or attendees who have requested it. Fabulous response. Thank you
- Awaiting answer from WordCamp Central Website for all WordCamp activities globally. https://central.wordcamp.org includes a list of upcoming and past camp with links to each. as highlighted previously. Will all be resent on Friday. Google and Facebook have come back on three of the questions. One answer opens up a second question on sponsorship mentions on community pages. @gidgey depending on the answer I may appreciate a quick chat with you. Instagram new info is being incorporated. Thanks to all my colleagues who have assisted in gaining answers to queries raised from WordCamps, Meetups and reviewers of the document.
End-User Persona Doc on WP Marketing
Trello Link: https://trello.com/c/xOu9de8h/75-end-user-persona-doc
Task Lead: @RachelPage / @gidgey
- What is going well? There are some corrections and removal of specific companies etc
- What is at risk? @RachelPage is out sick and was working on an office expansion last week. Not much has been completed. She will be on PTO next week so not expected to have much change over the next few weeks.
WordPress.TV potential marketing videos
Trello Link: https://trello.com/c/N7me1xaT/145-wordpresstv-potential-marketing-videos
- What is going well? @webcommsat : I have received 25 new video suggestions in non English language. Would someone on the marketing team who is fluent in Spanish could help with some of these, this would be very good and can be a standalone sub task? Do any of the volunteers from the last few weeks of meetings need any help with the videos they are reviewing? If so, please get in touch. Please do add you
- What can someone new in Marketing help with? It will be really helpful if reviewers can sign into Google or add their slack id to videos you are reviewing. It also means we can thank you and add you to the list of marketing team contributors. In the last two weeks, an additional 10 videos have been reviewed as useful by volunteers and 4 suggested for potential follow up areas. Thank you.
(ADDED) Launch WordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/ surveys on WP Marketing
Trello Link: https://trello.com/c/PlDVWfy7/175-launch-wordpressorg-surveys
- This is the parent ticket for implementing surveys to .org via the Polldaddy account
Read and Format Case Studies (from Survey Answers)
Trello Link: https://trello.com/c/ZnT2LCjn/58-read-and-format-case-studies-from-survey-answers
Task-Lead: task-lead: @harryjackson1221 @siobhanseija @brenner22
@harryjackson1221 if you are looking for something to help with
Individual Case Studies
- Network Rail Case Study (To Do)