The Marketing team promotes WordPress to current and future users and contributors. We create and amplify campaigns to support the growth of the WordPress project.
The Marketing to Agencies & Clients (+enterprises) team was convened and led by @skarjune.
Slack Backscroll has details and links
- Contributor DayContributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/. Followup
- TrelloTrello Project management system using the concepts of boards and cards to organize tasks in a sane way. This is what the make.wordpress.com/marketing team uses for example: https://trello.com/b/8UGHVBu8/wp-marketing.
- Surveys Response Update
- Surveys Promotion
- Case Study Survey Issues
- Other topics
Contributor Day / Trello
There were many in attendance for Make WordPress Marketing at the WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Europe (WCEI) Contributor Day, with more people than had been expected, so existing and new contributors met, shared ideas, and worked together. The group went over current projects, reviewed assets in the Google Drive, and @mcdwayne started up a Trello Board for project management. Working remotely @skarjune launched the two surveys with an Open Call post.
There is much interest in gathering Agency Cases, though there is some concern and confusion about the survey process and its constraints. Some members want to use cases that already exist on Agency or other vendor websites, but they did not want to redo the cases in the survey format, and there was concern about having to get a client’s permission to use their name.
Given the potential hurdles for Case Studies, we discussed the need to encourage agencies to submit cases and how to best do that. Rather than have the group create a list of targeted top agencies, members will individually contact agencies about the opportunity. There was much helpful discussion by team members about what kinds of cases to solicit, ways for getting agencies interested, and how to repurpose existing cases through our process. We need to highlight the incentive that sharing cases will promote WordPress and educate the community, along with highlighting the agency’s great work. We should create a new post to explain and promote the Case Studies project better.
We were reminded us to use the Agency Survey Tracker to record who has contacted which agencies. We don’t want to duplicate efforts, and we want to be transparent about how we assembled our cases, as some will come in organically while some will come via invitation from members. @andonette and @skarjune have client cases to use as sample cases to mock up as examples to demonstrate the format and how the cases will be used, and @gidgey is helping with the mockups.
@andonette volunteered to take the lead on the Case Studies project.
WordPress Usage Survey
We have received nearly 50 WordPress Usage survey responses starting with the launch at WCEU, with Facebook and Twitter sharing, and from a blog post by @pollyplummer on WP Tavern. Unfortunately we also saw some adverse comments about the Marketing Team from a cynical agency owner, and various Team members responded to that thread. This reminds us that as a WordPress.org team we want to follow ethical guidelines and use transparency in our work for the WordPress community, lest anyone suspect there’s some hidden agenda.
- Members will continue to work on both Survey projects, updating information on the Trello board and in Google Drive.
- The surveys will remain open for responses through July, and we’ll review progress at the end of the month.
- Our next meeting for Marketing to Agencies and Clients will be on July 26, 2017 (see schedule to confirm date & time).