In our May 3, 2017, meeting, the Marketing the Community subgroup spent our time building a list of projects for Contributor Day. These are our meeting notes as well.
My goal for this day is to align your passion as a contributor in teams of two or three people. Let’s be agile.
What are we missing?
Tell us in the comments.
- Coordinating subgroups suggested by @davidvee
- Soliciting financial support for marketing WP by @davidvee
- Creating amazing content to use in those marketing efforts @jenblogs4u
- Changing time of Marketing Channel to 9am PDT and letting each subgroup have their own Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel to collaborate throughout the month @gidgey
- Cross-Team Info Sharing @mcdwayne
- Clearer ‘getting started’ notes for newcomers (especially since the monthly slack meetings are a tad chaotic) @mcdwayne
- A project management board (Trello Project management system using the concepts of boards and cards to organize tasks in a sane way. This is what the make.wordpress.com/marketing team uses for example: https://trello.com/b/8UGHVBu8/wp-marketing. vs Asana vs Jira, etc) @mcdwayne
- Clearer goals and timelines for deliverables @mcdwayne
- Moving to a video call system for the monthly meetings. Slack is awesome for points of data but group discussions tend to become unfollowable at some point. @mcdwayne
- Move to an Agile approach with a SCRUM master leading each meeting @mcdwayne
Action Plan for WCEU:
- Change time to 9am PDT and discuss implementing Google calls to enhance meeting structure.
- Austin meetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. will record WP testimonials and donate video to ad/marketing efforts.
- Discuss personas and how to engage
- Review and discuss funding operations for the WordPress Community regarding nonprofit versus commercial activities and how that has evolved, organized, and for sponsor rules at WordCamps. Maybe it should be addressed differently for marketing needs.
- Discuss involving sponsors in marketing efforts.
- Create a guide for new folks on how to approach local businesses for sponsorships.
#contributor-day, #marketing-the-community, #wceu