The Marketing team promotes WordPress to current and future users and contributors. We create and amplify campaigns to support the growth of the WordPress project.
- Those present decided it was fine to continue to have a monthly meeting, with impromptu / further discussion happening on the P2P2 P2 or O2 is the term people use to refer to the Make WordPress blog. It can be found at https://make.wordpress.org/. and in the SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel.
- Next month’s meeting will be Tuesday, March 15th, 8pm GMT. Timezones here and this link (suggested by Ryan McCue) will show you the meeting in your time.
First we had a clarification of the aim of the Marketing group:
On the p2 I say:
This team oversees materials which help people sell and market WordPress the software to potential clients and users.
and further defined it as:
The marketing team will focus on what resources we can provide to people to sell WordPress, so they can focus on their own custom solutions and information, vs. teaching freelancers/agencies how to market their WordPress businesses.
Here are the things we talked about, the people who expressed interest in working on them further, and next steps for each. If you missed the meeting and would like to join any of the initiatives, please speak up in the comments!
Objective #1: #ILoveWP
- Expressed interest in working on further: @abrudtkuhl, @melindahelt, @iviolini, @sptorabi, @andymci
- Next Steps: We can put nominated ones in this GDoc – please put your handle next to each suggestion so we can follow up if needed. Some ideas / suggestions for selecting: not strictly self-promotional, a good mix between people making their living building/customizing WordPress, and those using it as end-users (I also include this in the doc).
Objective #2: Moar WordPress Whitepapers!
Aim: Have more white papers available in the public domain for the WordPress community-at-large like the WordPress Security White Paper.
Ideally, we could work with the bigger WP hosts like GoDaddy, WP Engine, Bluehost, Pantheon, Dreamhost, etc., who are already creating or have created this content make select white papers available via public domain license so that the larger community can benefit, manipulate, and translate as needed. The .org Marketing team can assist the companies in readying content for public domain licensing and sharing on WordPress’ GitHubGitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ and the .org site, and can help manage and approve translations.
- Expressed interest in working on further: @abrudtkuhl, @melindahelt, @sptorabi, @tomwillmot, @andreazoellner, @andymci
- Next Steps: Let’s scour the web for some good papers, decide which one(s) might have the most impact, and we can reach out to companies about donating these to the community directly (in case they’re not already following along or are nominating some directly). You can nominate / mention a white paper in this GDoc.
Objective #3: Other Pages to Redesign / Enhance
Aim: Are there other pages we can improve or add which can be good marketing tools on WordPress.orgWordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/?
- Expressed interest in working on further: @abrudtkuhl, @melindahelt, @iviolini, @kevinabarnes
- Next Steps: Worth revisiting the /features page redesign we proposed at WCEU 2015. Can we move this forward / build on this? Secondly, let’s brainstorm a shortlist of other pages to redesign or add – feel free to brainstorm in the comments of this post.
Objective #4: WPDay
Aim: Create a global awareness / community day around WordPress, timed around WP’s birthday in May, with a goal of increasing word of mouth and general awareness around WordPress. You can read my proposal from last year here.
- Expressed interest in working on further: @melindahelt, @iviolini, @kevinabarnes, @andreazoellner, @andymci, @sptorabi.
- Next Steps: @rosso99 will chat with @petya and @miss_jwo about interest in this from the polyglots as we’d need help spreading the word and getting organized internationally. If we can’t get agreement on / oks by next month’s meeting, I would say it’s too late to be planning it.
WordPress Open SourceOpen Source Open Source denotes software for which the original source code is made freely available and may be redistributed and modified. Open Source **must be** delivered via a licensing model, see GPL. Presentation
Started in 2014 at WCEU, this is a presentation about WordPress in general, aimed at consultants and agencies to be able to explain/show off WordPress modularly and translate it, too. It’s done in reveal.js so easily modifiable and basically HTMLHTML HTML is an acronym for Hyper Text Markup Language. It is a markup language that is used in the development of web pages and websites.. I estimate it’s at about 70% complete for a first pass.
- Next steps: @rosso99 will upload it to her personal GitHub so the team can take a look and decide if it’s something worth pursuing at next month’s meeting.
- Next steps: @rosso99 will try to get this added to the WordPress GitHub repo moving forward. We should also request/investigate linking to it from the .org site (or embed the content directly?)