Last Wednesday we had a meeting, and this is a summary of everything that happened there.
Team Goals for 2024
Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. conversation.
Testing Project with the Hosting A web hosting service is a type of Internet hosting service that allows individuals and organizations to make their website accessible via the World Wide Web. Tests
- Continuation Plan: Enhancing our PHPUnit test runner and PHPUnit test reporter by adding new capabilities and moving it to the latest tech stack.
- Community Involvement: Inviting more hosting companies to participate and share their insights to enrich this project.
- Improve communication: Contact all the testers to see if the team can help improve the information and feedback.
- Advanced Admin Documentation: Updating and expanding our resources to cover the latest trends and best practices in WordPress administration.
- Hosting Handbook: Continually refining our handbook to make it an even more comprehensive guide for both new and veteran WordPress hosts.
- Migrate content: There is some documentation in the Hosting Handbook that should be in the Advanced Administration or, maybe, other handbooks.
The Hosting Event 2024
- Event Planning: Organizing a hosting-centric WordPress event in June 2024 (before WordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Europe 2024).
CloudFest Hackathon 2024
About this last…
Some ideas that people asked in the past for the “test-runner”:
- WP-CLI WP CLI is the Command Line Interface for WordPress, used to do administrative and development tasks in a programmatic way. Unit testing Unit testing is a software testing method by which individual units of source code—sets of one or more computer program modules together with associated control data, usage procedures, and operating procedures—are tested to determine whether they are fit for use.
- test the WordPress + some “blueprint” (some themes and plugins)
and, for the reporter:
- list “by provider”
- list by “php-extension” / versions
We will publish soon a more detailed post about the Cloudfest Hackathon project.
WordPress Hosting Team event
- Event about hosting, security, performance, and sustainability.
- Event date: 2023-06-12 (so, Wednesday before Contributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/. / WCEU)
- Event time around 0800-1400 (this will leave the afternoon free, so there is time to visit the city or go to WCEU sponsor events)
- One track, but two kinds of talks: “Community” and “Professional”. “Community” from the community to the attendees, so we can show WordPress projects and how Host can benefit and contribute. “Professional” so professionals can give us some great talks about what they are doing around hosting, security, performance, and sustainability…
When we have some OK from different parts involved, and we can start, officially, we will announce everything and start detailing more. We already have a location in Torino that would be available.
We will probably have 80-100 attendance… so, we may need to limit the people from the same company, so at least, 40-50 different companies can attend… some ideas came in.
Future meetings will be these for the first trimester:
- 2024-01-10 1800 UTC (this meeting)
- 2024-01-24 0900 UTC
- 2024-02-07 1800 UTC
- 2024-02-21 0900 UTC
- 2024-03-06 1800 UTC
- 2024-03-20 0900 UTC
- 2024-03-27 0900 UTC (tentative, WordPress 6.5 release)
Same as we are working on reducing the weekly meetings, the focus for this 2024 is to increase the work on Documentation and Tools, and support for Hosting providers.
We will propose a calendar for those meetings.
The idea is to have at least a weekly meeting about one of these topics.
General hosting-related tickets
The next meetings are scheduled with the following details:
Participants on the Five for the Future for this meeting.