Summary of Docs Team Meeting Feb 8, 2022

Housekeeping

  • Next Meeting: Tuesday, 22 February 2022
  • Next Meeting Facilitator: @estelaris

Project Updates

Yoast Contributor DayContributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/.

The Documentation table was led by @milana_cap

The following people worked ​​on updating the blockBlock Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. editor end user docs for 5.9 and made good progress: @mikes41720 @jaz_on @agnieszkaszuba @hannaw93 @darkavenger @nilovelez @mrkdevelopment

@milana_cap worked on migrating issues from TrelloTrello Project management system using the concepts of boards and cards to organize tasks in a sane way. This is what the make.wordpress.com/marketing team uses for example: https://trello.com/b/8UGHVBu8/wp-marketing. to GitHubGitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ and reviewing what’s been done.

If anyone wants to work on the block editor end-user docs, here are the open issues: https://github.com/WordPress/Documentation-Issue-Tracker/projects/3

WordPress Glossary:

@estelaris worked on updating terms in the glossary. The overview is on a GitHub project so we can keep track of the new words we are updating.

A couple of terms are not yet in there, as we are waiting for clarification from @annezazu.

Global Styles to be changed to Styles as per the new language we are following.

@estelaris to open an issue seeking an explanation for the difference between Block Styles, Local Styles, and Global Styles

Create HelpHub Block Editor articles list:

@milana_cap proposed creating a list of all the HelpHub block editor articles for managing future updates.

@bph had a google spreadsheet with the list of articles. @milana_cap suggested it would be a good idea to have the contents of this list in GitHub.

@femkreations proposed creating a GitHub Project with the list of articles and volunteered to create the project and move the contents from the spreadsheet into the Project.

#summary

Summary of Docs Team Meeting Jan 25, 2022

Attendance

@estelaris, @kafleg, @milana_cap, @atachibana, @femkreations, TC, @kenshino, @themiked

Housekeeping

Project Updates

A full transcript can be found in the #docs channel in the Making WordPress SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/.

HelpHub page titles and urls

In the future, we should be able to be able to change page titles/urls /301s. For more detail refer this discussion and @estelaris‘ two tickets:

Now, we should keep current page titles and urls.

WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. EU 2-4 June

@milana_cap will lead the Documentation Team at Contributor Day.

Do contribution and get a cookie!

#summary

Summary of Docs Team Meeting Jan 11, 2022

Attendance

@milana_cap, @daisyo, @atachibana, @kafleg, @mburridge, @estelaris, @jdy68, @wizzard_, @utz119, @juanmaguitar, @mitchblue006, @femkreations, @kenshino, @sukafia

Housekeeping

Project Updates

A full transcript can be found in the #docs channel in the Making WordPress SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/.

  • HelpHub content
    • thanks to @annezazu, HelpHub is getting new pages relating to V5.9. Those pages will be translated via #polyglots team.
    • @atachibana highlighted the need for auto-changelog – this is a topic for future discussion.
    • future plans: re-design of HelpHub, adding TOC or index into side bar area – however global design changes are coming.
  • BlockBlock Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. editor end user docs
    • currently without lead in case anyone wants to volunteer.
    • a large amount of work is still outstanding here, tasks need to be moved from TrelloTrello Project management system using the concepts of boards and cards to organize tasks in a sane way. This is what the make.wordpress.com/marketing team uses for example: https://trello.com/b/8UGHVBu8/wp-marketing. to GitHubGitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ while filtering out what’s no longer relevant and keeping what is still relevant.
    • @milana_cap will start working on that this week and allocate some time each week until a new lead volunteers to own the project and can then continue the work themselves.
    • @atachibana will also help with this.
    • @jdy68 expressed interest in helping.
  • HelpHub feedback curating
    • currently without lead in case anyone wants to volunteer.
    • comments are coming in but someone is needed to curate them, filterFilter Filters are one of the two types of Hooks https://codex.wordpress.org/Plugin_API/Hooks. They provide a way for functions to modify data of other functions. They are the counterpart to Actions. Unlike Actions, filters are meant to work in an isolated manner, and should never have side effects such as affecting global variables and output. out the spam and support and move the relevant ones to GitHub.
    • @esteleris has been helping out.
    • if anyone wants to be responsible for managing these comments, @milana_cap is willing to explain everything in detail.
  • PluginPlugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party handbook
    • future plans: needs to be updated with the style guide.
    • it has been “blockified” already but still needs external linking.
    • @themiked plans to create a plugin which will form the basis for a progressive tutorial – this is still in the preliminary stages.
  • Theme handbook
    • in addition, some typos, old links, and other minor things have been updated.
    • @milana_cap asked whether there is any content on converting a classic theme into a block based theme, but @kafleg reports that content on block themes has not been started on yet. There are, however, plans to create a list of topics.
  • Common APIs handbook
    • @milana_cap stated that she has ideas for this one and will create a GitHub issue for it.
  • Reference handbook – curating user contributed notes
    • there are currently 38 pending comments.
    • please pingPing The act of sending a very small amount of data to an end point. Ping is used in computer science to illicit a response from a target server to test it’s connection. Ping is also a term used by Slack users to @ someone or send them a direct message (DM). Users might say something along the lines of “Ping me when the meeting starts.” @milana_cap  if help is needed on this.
  • Docs team handbook
    • there’s a requirement to go through this handbook and see what’s missing/outdated/etc…
  • Onboarding 
    • @sukafia acknowledges that this has been on hold for a while. Previous work will be reviewed and next steps decided on.
  • Coffee breaks
    • @sukafia acknowledges that this has been on hold for a while. Previous work will be reviewed and next steps decided on.
  • Design
    • WP.org is getting a full redesign, @estelaris now has access to the style guide and will change the previous design of HelpHub and hopes to present the new redesign at WCEU.

The following projects were not addressed, either because the lead was not present or because we ran out of time.

Would the leads of those project please reply in comments on the agenda, thanks.

#summary

Summary of Docs Team Meeting: 7th December 2021

Attendance

@sukafiai, @estelaris, @mkaz, @atachibana, @kulsum, @mitchblue, @femkreations, @themiked, @milana_cap

Housekeeping

  • Meeting Facilitator: @estelaris
  • Note Taker: @sukafia
  • Next Meeting: Tuesday 14 December 2021
  • Next Meeting Facilitator: N/A
  • Next Week: Docs Issue Triage

The meeting started with a warm welcome from @estelaris and the focus was on projects progress, blockers and next steps. Here are the project updates:

Helphub update

@estelaris informed the team that MetaMeta Meta is a term that refers to the inside workings of a group. For us, this is the team that works on internal WordPress sites like WordCamp Central and Make WordPress. and the design team are working on a full redesign for WP.org and that she’ll be working with them to follow the new design style guide for HelpHub.

She mentioned she also needs to do a review on the article-page requirements since some things have changed, e.g feedback at the end of an article: are we still using it or are we expecting users to report feedback in GH?

@femkreations indicated she’ll b collaborating with @estelaris since she’s currently working on moving the technical details from the HelpHub document and updating the articles.

BlockBlock Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. editor

@Mkaz reported the primary focus is on WP 5.9 release. He added there’s a lot to do such as tracking the progress of user docs and dev notes.

He mentioned the biggest blocker is that most of the engineers who need to write the Dev Notes are still doing finishing touches around bugs, so haven’t circled back to the docs.

Team handbook

@Mkaz informed the team he and @milana_cap will be having a meeting tomorrow with the Theme’s team to discuss what the docs team can do for the Theme handbook with regards to the upcoming WP 5.9 release and its major change to block themes. He added that anyone who’s interested in joining the meeting should see this thread and pingPing The act of sending a very small amount of data to an end point. Ping is used in computer science to illicit a response from a target server to test it’s connection. Ping is also a term used by Slack users to @ someone or send them a direct message (DM). Users might say something along the lines of “Ping me when the meeting starts.” @milana_cap for an invite.

Docs Style Guide

@estelaris mentioned that applying the new style guide to all previous articles is happening as people including her, @femkreations, etc. are reviewing the articles and adding them to the issue tracker in GithubGitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/.

It was concluded that whoever is rewriting articles, should apply the style guide and @atachibana and @milana_cap should be contacted for articles reviews.

Open Floor

  • New meeting time@femkreations asked if 14:00-15:00 UTC is a good meeting time for everyone and if members would be open to 15:00-16:00 UTC? Most members indicated that 14:00-15:00 is a good time for them and it was agreed that this should be added to the meeting summary so other members can air their views.
  • New members onboarding@milana_cap asked about the status of the new members onboarding project and @sukafia responded he’ll check with @chaion07 since he’s been absent for a while.
  • Holiday break@estelaris asked if the team will be taking a break during the holidays and @milana_cap responded that this should be discussed in the December 21st meeting.

#summary

Summary for Docs Team Meeting: 23 November 2021

Attendance

@chaion07, @Femy, @mitchblue, @milana_cap, @bedas, @mkaz, @Courtney, @peteringersoll, @estelaris.

Housekeeping

  • Meeting Facilitator: @chaion07
  • Note Taker: @bedas
  • Next Meeting: 07 December 2021, Tuesday
  • Next Meeting Facilitator: N/A
  • Next Week: Docs Issue Triage

Project Updates

@mkaz continues working on this issue https://github.com/orgs/WordPress/projects/11/

@milena_cap continues her work on Common APIAPI An API or Application Programming Interface is a software intermediary that allows programs to interact with each other and share data in limited, clearly defined ways. handbook.

@Femy continues to work on Removing technical details from user docs and rewriting them.

@mkaz mentioned tweets in regards to requirements to update DOC (themes) in regards of Blocks, this issue is forwarded to @poena, @acalfieri and @kafleg.

@mitchblue has started working on screenshots. Additional help is welcome to tackle the issues listed at https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3A%22%5BType%5D+Documentation%22 or https://github.com/WordPress/Documentation-Issue-Tracker/issues.

@estelaris mentioned that a new video would be required to explain the purpose of a Blog better and in a more up-to-date fashion. TrelloTrello Project management system using the concepts of boards and cards to organize tasks in a sane way. This is what the make.wordpress.com/marketing team uses for example: https://trello.com/b/8UGHVBu8/wp-marketing. task here https://trello.com/c/cfDu3rtG/358-blogging-with-wordpress.

@peteringersoll is introduced as new member of training team and being in charge of relaying information across DOC and Training Teams.

Thanks to @bedas for preparing the notes. Unfortunately he wasn’t available to publish the notes which is why I am publishing this on behalf of him.

#meeting-notes, #meetings, #notes, #summary

Summary for Docs Team Meeting November 9, 2021

Attendance

@milana_cap @mkaz @juanmaguitar @chaion07 @muhammadfaizanhaidar @kafleg @atachibana @mitchblue006

Housekeeping

Find the complete Transcript of the meeting on Slack.

Please note: Next week (16.11.2021) shall be  “Issues Triage Meeting” and thereafter (23.11.2021) “Docs Team Meeting”.

@chaion07 will facilitate this meeting and the agenda will be revision of projects that were put on hold.

Project Updates

5.9 Release (Documentation)

@mkaz is the Docs Lead for WP 5.9 https://github.com/orgs/WordPress/projects/11/. Integration of custom spreadsheets may be used for future releases as default. 

@mkaz made “Doc Type” properties to filterFilter Filters are one of the two types of Hooks https://codex.wordpress.org/Plugin_API/Hooks. They provide a way for functions to modify data of other functions. They are the counterpart to Actions. Unlike Actions, filters are meant to work in an isolated manner, and should never have side effects such as affecting global variables and output. by Dev Note, User Docs, or Dev Docs.

Additional help welcome as @audrasjb  @milana_cap @annezazu are also working on this release.

@milana_cap also mentioned today is feature freeze, and closed tracTrac Trac is the place where contributors create issues for bugs or feature requests much like GitHub.https://core.trac.wordpress.org/. tickets as well as planning in writing docs should be considered.@mkaz is the go to regarding this.

Open Floor

@muhammadfaizanhaidar  is awaiting response with https://github.com/WordPress/Documentation-Issue-Tracker/issues/47, @milana_cap suggested waiting for @estelaris to respond.

@milana_cap mentioned that content from Themes handbook could be combined and updated https://developer.wordpress.org/themes/theme-security/using-nonces/.

#meeting-notes

#docs, #meetings, #summary

Summary for Docs Team Meeting October 26, 2021

Attendance

@kenshino @mkaz @mburridge @juanmaguitar @chaion07 @ashiquzzaman @donaldwmoorejr @muhammadfaizanhaidar @kafleg @atachibana @femkreations @sasiddiqui

Housekeeping

Find the complete Transcript of the meeting on Slack.

Open Floor

5.9 Release (Documentation)

@mkaz will be the Docs Lead for WP 5.9 with help from @audrasjb and @zzap on coreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. docs, and @annezazu for user docs

@femkreations @mburridge offered to help with these docs

Design refresh for Org sites

@mkaz comments the MetaMeta Meta is a term that refers to the inside workings of a group. For us, this is the team that works on internal WordPress sites like WordCamp Central and Make WordPress. team is working on a design refresh for Org sites starting with /News, see work-in-progress here: https://wordpress.org/news-test/

They are building them as blockBlock Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. themes, with the idea of other handbooks would be child themes off them.

Licensing Legal Text

 @chaion07 comments a few weeks back we were discussing on Licensing Legal Text with Josepha to assist us (saw this in the #team-reps channel)

@kenshino says the text is expected to be with the lawyers this week because GutenbergGutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ docs are also on WordPress.org, it makes things slightly more complicated

The main issue is that general contents are CC0 and code is GP, but Gutenberg is also dual-licensed – GPLGPL GPL is an acronym for GNU Public License. It is the standard license WordPress uses for Open Source licensing https://wordpress.org/about/license/. The GPL is a ‘copyleft’ license https://www.gnu.org/licenses/copyleft.en.html. This means that derivative work can only be distributed under the same license terms. This is in distinction to permissive free software licenses, of which the BSD license and the MIT License are widely used examples. + MIT, so this info has been passed to the lawyers for them to sort out

#meeting-notes

#docs, #meetings, #summary

Summary of Docs Team Meeting Sep 21, 2021

Housekeeping

Project updates

@tacitonic:  The WordPress Documentation Style Guide has been completed. This includes all the remaining articles, the word list, and the usage dictionary.

15 min repo triage:

Issue 1(labeled needs-discussion): Some end-user docs are too technical

@milana_cap: Agrees we shouldn’t have technical details in the end-user docs. But raises the question – where, in DevHub, should that info live?

End-user docs are for people who don’t code and most likely don’t deal with hosting/server issues but rather contact support. We need a place in DevHub that will be dedicated to tasks like .htaccess, internationalization, localization, etc that are shared throughout developing with WordPress. These are neither pluginPlugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party/theme topics nor common APIs but also are not the end-user concerns. 

She suggests we collect all the articles in the support section that are technical. This will help to get a better picture of the dedicated space we will need to create in DevHub.

@basilh  – Suggests hyperlinks to a dedicated space on wordpress.org for topics related to ApacheApache Apache is the most widely used web server software. Developed and maintained by Apache Software Foundation. Apache is an Open Source software available for free. and NginxNGINX NGINX is open source software for web serving, reverse proxying, caching, load balancing, media streaming, and more. It started out as a web server designed for maximum performance and stability. In addition to its HTTP server capabilities, NGINX can also function as a proxy server for email (IMAP, POP3, and SMTP) and a reverse proxy and load balancer for HTTP, TCP, and UDP servers. https://www.nginx.com/., etc. 

@milana_cap: Agrees to move all such info to another location on wordpress.org. And maybe say something like “For more advanced server settings take a check out this link”

ACTION ITEM: Please add your thoughts in the comments for the issue in GitHub.

Issue 2 (labeled good-first-issue): Update links inside the posts-screen DOC

  • @muhammadfaizanhaidar is unable to recreate the issue and will update in the comments for that issue. 
  • @TC to take a look at the issue, if needed.

#summary

Summary for Docs Team Meeting September 14, 2021

Housekeeping

Attendance

@atachibana, @mburridge, @TC , @ashiquzzaman , @femKreations,  @kmhazari , @estelaris , @Basil, @joyously , @danfarrow , @Kenshino (Jon) , @themiked ,

Where: #docs channel on Slack

Find the complete Transcript of the meeting on Slack.

Meeting Facilitator: @TC

Note Taker: @ashiquzzaman

Project Updates

From @atachibana For contents side, all issues in the repository were labeled and active discussions are on going.
Stats: 18 Open / 9 Closed.

Open Floors

estelaris highlighted on using both Google Spreadsheet and GitHubGitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ for different issues. Upon discussion it was agreed that we

#meeting-notes, #summary

Summary of Docs Team Meeting Sep 7, 2021

Housekeeping

Attendance

@TC, @femkreations, @milana_cap, @atachibana, @kenshino, @themiked, @joyously, @estelaris, @kartiks16, @kafleg, @kmhazari 

Where: #docs channel on Slack

Find the complete Transcript of the meeting on Slack.

Meeting Facilitator:  @TC

Note Taker: @femkreations

Next Meeting Facilitators: @kmhazari  and @TC

Project updates

@milana_cap – Work in progress on the P2P2 P2 or O2 is the term people use to refer to the Make WordPress blog. It can be found at https://make.wordpress.org/. post about the doc team’s new workflow that we can share with other teams.

@atachibana – From the content site, processing as many related issues as possible. 

@femkreations: Added labels to the existing issues in the repo.

Handling issues across all documentation

Discussion on adding a dedicated time for repo triage :

by @milana-cap

The easy and straightforward issues don’t need triage but for issues that need discussion and the team’s decision, we could add a label like “discussion” or “needs discussion”.

Based on the number of issues under that label we can plan the meeting time for triage.

@kenshino: The triage is required so we can build the habit and for people to pick up issues.

DECISION: Dedicate 15 mins to triage issues during the weekly doc meetings. Depending on the number of issues we can make changes to the triage time if needed. Keep this in mind when making meeting agendas.

Discussion on adding labels to issues requesting new document/article:

by @milana-cap

This is related to the PR – issue template that’s requesting a new page/article.

@milana-cap has added labels for 5.6, 5.7, 5.8, and 5.9 for releases.

@kenshino: At some point, we should have documentation tied to specific releases.

DECISION: Add “new document” label to the issues requesting new document/article, for now. @femkreations to update the issue template with the label.

#summary