Biggest challenges from previous periods:
- Slow processes, mainly in making decisions, even with simple things.
- Lack of response from other contributors (e.g. commenting on p2 posts)
This post should serve as a rough (or not so rough) focus plan and set of goals for the Docs team in the first quarter of 2021.
@atachibana – Contents migration Moving the code, database and media files for a website site from one server to another. Most typically done when changing hosting companies. team will complete the task (hooks In WordPress theme and development, hooks are functions that can be applied to an action or a Filter in WordPress. Actions are functions performed when a certain event occurs in WordPress. Filters allow you to modify certain functions. Arguments used to hook both filters and actions look the same. and classes migration) within a Q1.
End User Block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. Editor team
- We are triaging Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ Changelogs 9.3 – 9.9 for End-User relevant changes in “Features” and “Enhancements” coming to 5.7
- Beginning of February – A team sprint to prepare next set of tasks
- Replace “More Options” section with link to “More Options”-page
- Outline of Full-Site-Editing documentation for 5.8
- Ongoing recruiting and onboarding of new contributors
- Team checking on current workload.
- Fielding Feedback from readers.
@estelaris – design proposal:
- P2 P2 or O2 is the term people use to refer to the Make WordPress blog. It can be found at https://make.wordpress.org/. new reqs – week 4
- p2 new classification – week 6
- p2 on final navigation – week 8
- p2 on templates draft – week 10
- p2 proposal new design for documentation – week 13
Plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party Developer Handbook
@themiked – Based on the discussion here (1), the Plugin handbook will develop a way to indicate obsolete docs on both a page-level and a section-level. This will be done with an eye towards it being used elsewhere.
The modernization of the handbook is ¼ of the way done. There are four primary steps in this process:
- Convert content to blocks – done
- Edit content for clarity and consistency of tone
- Confirm that every code snippet conforms to best practices (phpcs PHP Code Sniffer, a popular tool for analyzing code quality. The WordPress Coding Standards rely on PHPCS., phpcbf, proper naming, good use of comments, and that it actually does what it says it does)
- Revisit of the writing to conform to the style guide, whenever that is finished.
(1) What to do with old/obsolete documentation – Make WordPress Documentation
Block Editor Handbook
@justinahinon – improving the structure of the block editor handbook: https://make.wordpress.org/docs/2020/08/13/plan-proposal-for-a-new-better-structured-gutenberg-developer-documentation/
- Improve the structure and the design of the homepage – done
- Reorganize the handbook table of content (in progress – https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/28460)
- Find a place for FSE documentation
- Overall, add design improvements were needed in the handbook
Keep up with Gutenberg: https://make.wordpress.org/core/handbook/references/keeping-up-with-gutenberg-index/
More Info (DevHub)
User Notes (DevHub)
@audrasjb, @crstauf – stay on top of pending user notes: check regularly and optimize process for handling feedback for doc changes.
They also regularly open Trac Trac is the place where contributors create issues for bugs or feature requests much like GitHub.https://core.trac.wordpress.org/. tickets when the comments raise issues located in WordPress Core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. docblocks.
Common APIs Handbook
External Linking Policy
@themiked, @milana_cap – Finish first and the second phase of reviewing Plugin Developer Handbook: https://make.wordpress.org/docs/2020/12/01/external-linking-policy-1st-review-of-plugin-developer-handbook/
This project was neglected in the past quarter. We should make some time to review it and pinpoint spots that need updating.
After having two videos published we neglected this project as well. Perhaps we could plan for a couple of more in this quarter.
Google Season of Docs
- Finalize and complete the Style Guide by March 1, 2021.
- Write the project report.
- Parse the GitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ repo to make.wordpress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org//docs/style
- Initial public release of the Style Guide.
Onboarding New Members
- Set up an automated slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. bot to welcome new members with links to relevant resources.
- Add the mentorship team to the handbook
- Call word for mentorship (a word people can use in the slack channel that automatically ping The act of sending a very small amount of data to an end point. Ping is used in computer science to illicit a response from a target server to test it’s connection. Ping is also a term used by Slack users to @ someone or send them a direct message (DM). Users might say something along the lines of “Ping me when the meeting starts.” members of the team)
@audrasjb: the French Documentation Team nominated two team leads (@jdy68 and @chaton666) and we’re now at 50% of coverage. In early 2021, we started to create our own original contents.