Summary for Docs Team Meeting 30 September 2019

Attendance

@kenshino @atachibana @nao @pieter @milana_cap @leogermani @softservenet @aion @estelaris @pascal

Content Migration (from Codex to HelpHub & DevHub)

@atachibana reported we are now redirecting Functions in Codex to Code Reference (DevHub). 210/849 25.8% (last week 24.5% accomplished)
Details stats are here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15hpEbbnuWJZ0DJafyCeG3CFRMtSxX1gY-RObrrjzzdw/edit#gid=1576070270

Anyone can join these tasks by following below steps:
https://make.wordpress.org/docs/handbook/code-reference/editing-articles/

@kenshino suggested due to the volume that we work on picking up the pace and push to accomplish progress at the coming WCUS

@milana_cap suggested we might be able to create a Documentation Twitter and push requests for assistance and updates there to encourage more participation. @kenshino affirmed that this is a nice idea and will check with @chanthaboune first before we proceed.

@kenshino reported he will be at WordCamp Tokyo and @atachibana suggested that that his thoughts were to encourage work on the Japanese Codex Migration.

@leogermani reported he will be at WordCamp Sâo Paulo next week and would be able to encourage participation at the Dev Day there.

@leogermani reported he is slowly working on hooks content and some functions and has 4 actively in process at the point of the meeting.

@leogermani QUESTION:
If the examples that were in the hook/function in the codex were migrated to the User Contributed Notes, I’m leaving the hook/function explanation without the examples. Unless the function/hook has a very atypical usage that I find important to be added in the Explanation…

Some people already migrated the examples in the codex to the user contributed notes. So if added to the explanation they would be duplicated.

@milana_cap suggested for filters we could add examples, otherwise open the code itself and see what can be filtered.

@kenshino asked if this was related to the “More Info” section and suggested @juliobox is the rep for that.

@atachibana expressed thoughts that duplication is too much. Original concept was moving examples to User Contributed Notes.

@milana_cap expressed she’s not for duplication either, but if there’s no example at all
the generated docs doesn’t show what you can filter, more often than not she had to open code for that.

@kenshino also expressed that it should be understood that the User Notes could at some point be pulled into the Core “More Info” section if they’re written well and also expressed concerns about losing attribution. @leogermani confirmed that this is the reason for his being in favor of maintaining the User Notes and we are losing attribution on the text produced in the wiki that is being copied to DevHub.

@kenshino expressed that this is a topic that needs more discussion and feedback on P2.

HelpHub Development

@milana_cap reported we are on waiting for @netweb’s workflow and design changes from @estelaris and it doesn’t make sense to move on without design, as we might have to change things. There are already things that should be changed, such as the home page.

@kenshino will follow-up with @netweb

Inline Docs

No discussion.

Docs Team Handbook

@milana_cap reported that there is supposed to be a Zoom call on this to set responsibilities for different sections, so that reps maintain their parts of it (and for an overall review)

Design Update

@estelaris gave a quick update on design (the #design team reviewed the files and requested few changes. Last week was difficult as there was a major Beta focus. She also requested feedback on existing tickets.
https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/4491
https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/4493

She reported that the new design changes accomplish:
1. all articles show in one page.Could be set up to 2 pages max (easier for user to find article needed)
2. no more issues with number of rows for long/short excerpts and we don’t need to rewrite them
3. less distracting
4. breadcrumbs allows easy going back to home page without clicking back on the browser

@softservenet asked about the previous Icons on the Grid Design. @kenshino asked if the Icons could be put next to the title.

@estelaris reported she would work on a version with Icons and @kenshino offered we can reach out to the Dashicons Team to get SVGs for this.
https://github.com/WordPress/dashicons

HelpHub Localisation

@kenshino asked @pascal about progress. @pascal reported he’s waiting for a GO from someone to deploy all Rosetta sites that have support.

@nao reported she’s finished the Handbook:
https://make.wordpress.org/docs/handbook/helphub/translating-helphub/

@milana_cap reported the Serbian team started creating empty articles to be sure the URLs are correct, categories, personas etc. After that’s done they’ll start actual translating and call more volunteers to join. They’re also looking into a separate Contributor Day to do that.

Common APIs Handbook

@milana_cap reported she reviewed and updated Dashboard Widgets API during WordCamp Nijmegen Contributor Day, a week ago.

@atachibana provided the API Handbook Links Spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1S5HO0889uMB6veCpAHphdDzbL15UOpPVBtBhodPyjiE/edit#gid=0

Changing the Nature of Docs Team Meetings

@kenshino suggested that the two meetings, Docs team and HelpHub again be combined to one as it seems that will be more productive after trying the other.

EXAMPLE FORMAT
• Docs Team: HelpHub (40 mins) and other issues (20 mins)
• Docs Team: DevHub (40 mins) and other issues (20 mins)
• Docs Team: Docs Team Handbook (40 mins) and other issues (20 mins)

@pieter suggested to ping for status the morning of the meeting and adjust agenda accordingly.

@milana_cap brought up that DevHub and the Handbook are not getting enough attention

@kenshino suggested that with a pre-ping, stats could be supplied right at the start of the meeting.

@kenshino will work on P2 post to lay out some ideas and a possible change implementation time might be October 15 if we do in fact change the format.

Summary for HelpHub Meeting 23 September 2019

Attendance

@FahimMurshed @atachibana @tomf @zzap @ibdz @estelaris @Kenshino (Jon) @leogermani

Content

@atachibana informs: Now we are redirecting Codex to Code Reference (DevHub). 210/858 24.5% (last week 23.3%) was done.

Link to the spreadsheet where migration is being monitored: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15hpEbbnuWJZ0DJafyCeG3CFRMtSxX1gY-RObrrjzzdw/edit#gid=1576070270

Anyone can join these tasks by following below steps:
https://make.wordpress.org/docs/handbook/code-reference/editing-articles/

@leogermani says Last week we had less than 1% of hooks redirected and now we have 2% \o/

Design review

@estelaris has been working on a new design to the support home page. There was a review with the design team and they would like to get rid of the grid and use a list instead.

The screenshot of the work in progress was shared in the related ticket: https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/4493#comment:8

Related tickets https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/4492 and https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/4491 were also updated and any feedback on the design can be given there.

Development

@milana_cap updates:

  • We are still waiting for @netweb’s setup if I haven’t miss anything last week.
  • during Contributor Day I did review and updated the Dashboard Widgets page in Common APIs Handbook
  • we had @Jaap Wiering working on concept for adding Accessibility notes and instructions where ever possible in DevHub and HelpHub

@milana_cap adds that with all the design changes being worked, it should be better to wait. @estelaris says that today #design and #accessibility teams should be free and I will get approval for both designs. “Will do my best to have them ready for development next week”

HelpHub rosetta release

@atachibana says “Japanese HelpHub migration does not have good progress ;-( 7 of 166 (4.2%) was done. We’ll encourage volunteers.”

@milana_cap says “Serbian team has momentum but then we’ve got it enabled on wrong website and waited for fix. It’s fixed now so I’ll make sure we start working on it this week. I’m trying to encourage others to lead the project”

Open Floor

@leogermani asked if there were any previous discussion on adding a “send feedback” or “inform error” button on the articles on HelpHub, to make it easier for people to contribute. Some people currently open trac tickets or send messages in the slack channel directly.

Apparently there is not and he might open a trac ticket to discuss that.

Transcript

You can take a look at the meeting transcript via this link: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C02RP4WU5/p1569250806082400

Summary for HelpHub Meeting 26 August 2019

Attendance

@estelaris @kafleg @FahimMurshed @wizzard_ @softservenet @ibdz @felipeloureirosantos @justin @bph @kenshino @felipeelia @milana_cap @samikeijonen

Development

We discussed several issues today.

Excerpts on Archives

Last year it was proposed to replace auto generated excerpts with ToC list items. On today’s meeting discussion it’s been decided to use manually created excerpts which would contain the point of the article in one sentence. Short and concise. more meaning, less space.

Join discussion here: https://github.com/WordPress/HelpHub/issues/239

Posts Order on Archives

This was unsolved for a long time. We decided it’s important to order posts according to its content complexity so it resembles “Step 1, Step 2..” format or, if this doesn’t apply, to order according to post’s “importance”. As this is difficult to apply automatically to all categories we decided to use Post Attributes order and intentionally create order which we will specify in WP_Query.

As some articles have more than one category assigned, in which it might have different “importance” and order, we decided to make larger steps between posts using the same logic as menu items in dashboard. So two posts in a succession would have 10 places in between, rather than 1. This should also help with ordering articles published in the future.

Join discussion here: https://github.com/WordPress/HelpHub/issues/237

Single article mobile view

Viewing single article on smaller devices reveals the sidebar throughout the whole visible area. The rest of Handbooks solve this by hiding the sidebar altogether. @milana_cap suggested to place search form and single posts navigation instead of sidebar. For this single posts navigation to be useful, the order of posts (above) should be logical and intuitive.

@estelaris said that she’s working on templates and will discuss this issue on #design team meeting this Wednesday, as this is effecting all WordPress.org Handbooks.

Join discussion here: https://github.com/WordPress/HelpHub/issues/236

Design

@estelaris is working on overview of HelpHub design. Her analysis can be found in Google Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZnhtiLxqjXviFlnWsDE5L8YRiBXtkmanvM8doIc1lrg/edit?usp=sharing

After we agree on design template we need to have #accessibility review and usability test. @samikeijonen kindly accepted to perform these testings once we have everything ready.

Content and Rosetta Releases

We skipped these due to absence of key people.


Next Docs meeting is in #docs channel on

Monday, September 02, 2019, 15:00 UTC

You can take a look at the meeting transcript via this link: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C02RP4WU5/p1566831612366600

Agenda for Helphub Design Meeting 24 Jan

Hello!

Time/date: Tuesday, January 24, 2017, 15:00 UTC in #docs

  1. Attendance
  2. Progress on Tasks
  3. AOB

You can find the main Helphub meeting’s agenda here.

Pinging @krogsgard @versatility @mapk @wizzard_

If I have missed any usernames, it’s not on purpose and do consider yourself invited to the meeting.

#agenda, #design

Agenda for Helphub Design Meeting 10 January 2017

Hello!

Time/date: Tuesday, January 10, 2017, 13:00 UTC in #docs

  1. Attendance
  2. Progress on Tasks
  3. AOB

You can find the main Helphub meeting’s agenda here.

Pinging @krogsgard @versatility @mapk @wizzard_

If I have missed any usernames, it’s not on purpose and do consider yourself invited to the meeting.

#agenda, #design

Summary for Helphub Design Meeting January 2

Attendance

@krogsgard @versatility @wizzard_ @kenshino attended

As previous efforts towards user research were largely undocumented, we’re making a renewed approach to understanding user needs and behaviour.

We will be doing the following

  1. @versatility will be documenting the various components of Helphub
  2. @versatility will build various prototypes of those components and use them for feedback/research
  3. We will work the ‘single’ views (e.g. how we perceive users would want to view the articles) before we build the journey on the Homepage that will lead them to those articles.
  4. 2 surveys will be created
    • One for the Support Team – likely an open ended question to gain sentiment on how they think users would approach help documentation
    • One for the end users – @wizzard_ will work on the questions with @versatility
  5. All efforts will be tracked and documented on Trello

A few considerations (possibly)

  1. Search should be a global and obvious element
  2. No sidebars as it lacks consistency with mobile

Search Use Cases

  1. Searching for a specific problem
  2. Searching for a general guide (e.g. total guide from installing to securing WordPress)
  3. They’re on Helphub but don’t know what search terms to use (so they’re just clicking on what looks right)

Some reference

  1. A discussion from the Support Team about personas and common topics

Next Meeting

Tuesday, January 10, 2017, 13:00 UTC – One hour before Helphub Meeting

#design, #summary

+make.wordpress.org/design