Howdy WordCamp Sofia Contributors!
Thanks a bunch for helping with WordPress documentation – we all really appreciate your help!
We’ve been focusing a lot on the Theme Developer Handbook and Plugin Developer Handbook, which both need a good deal of work.
For most people, the toughest roadblock to contributing is just getting started, so hopefully this will help.
Where to Go
The jumping off point for all docs-related efforts is: make.wordpress.org/docs/ – In the sidebar, you’ll see links to the Handbooks along with the Spreadsheets we use to track their progress.
- The Theme Developer Handbook is at: http://bit.ly/WPThemeHB
- . . . and the spreadsheet that we use to track Theme Developer Handbook progress is at: http://bit.ly/WPThemeHB_Content
- The Plugin Developer Handbook is at: http://bit.ly/WPPluginHB
- . . . and the spreadsheet that we use to track Plugin Developer Handbook progress is at: http://bit.ly/WPPluginHB_Content
- The IRC channel we use is at #wordpress-sfd on Freenode.
- This is a great place to ask questions, post links to docs for review, and cheer each-other on.
If you haven’t already, you’ll want to:
- Read the Handbook Style Guide
- Review the Handbook Tutorial Template
- Find a topic in the Theme or Plugin developer spreadsheet that interests you
- Check the Needs column of the spreadsheet to see if there are specific things that are needed in this document
- Add your name to the Responsible column in the spreadsheet
- Write or edit in HTML or Markdown and give it to Mario Peshev or email it over to me at eric [at] ivycat.com and we’ll post for you.
What if I’m not a Writer?
If you’re not comfortable writing or editing, you can also help by:
- Creating code snippets for examples
- Taking relevant screenshots
- Reading existing documentation and making comments regarding improvements
If you’re completely overwhelmed and not sure where to start, you might start by reading through the Handbook and, when you’ve got questions, find missing content, or see improvements, please feel free to work on the document, or make comments in that document’s comment section.
I’m here to help in any way I can, so feel free to ping me (@sewmyheadon) or Mario (@no_fear_inc), or post to the #wordpress-sfd IRC channel if you have any questions.
Thanks again and have a great WordCamp!