Docs Chat 17th January
Thanks everyone who came to the support & docs chat! We had nearly 30 people, which is a record for SFD.
Here’s what we discussed:
- @ipstenu started a discussion about tools that will make moderating forums easier. You can get involved with the discussion on support P2.
- Handbooks – handbooks are ongoing.
- Core Contributor Handbook – I shared the spreadsheet with the of the current content. We agreed that pages such as Submitting a Patch are in dire need of help. There should be information so that non-coders know how to make a patch.
- Network Admin Help Text – @drewapicture reported that this is ongoing. He’s going to try to get through 2/3 pages of text a week and will post here for feedback.
- Communication – punted to next week
- Documentation Roadmap – we discussed the documentation roadmap, which was an action from the summit. I asked what people would like in an ideal world. There was a consensus among developers that the current function reference isn’t adequate. I asked Rarst to come along to the chat to discuss Query Posts. We agreed that this is an improvement on the MediaWiki function reference. Rarst will be open sourcing most of the components of QP. We will carry out a documentation survey to try to get a sense of what other WordPress users would find useful.
As an aside: @jane – Ryan McCue came along to the chat because I asked him to in an email. He said that he wasn’t aware that this chat took place every week, and suggested posting something about it on make/core to see if other people are interested. I think this is a great idea – even just a one-off to alert people. It might also be worth listing the other chats that take place – Mobile, Polyglots, bbPress, BuddyPress (I’m assuming they know about UI)