These are the weekly notes for the design meeting that happens on Wednesdays. You can read the full transcript on our Slack channel and find the meeting’s agenda here. You can join the Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel by following the instructions in our handbook.
First up, @noahrshrader updates us on the progress of the Design Library in Figma.
Since last week:
- Revised current components to get them closer to specification
- Updated the Getting Started page to reflect current workflows
- Improved some of general aesthetics
- Adjusted the main text font to be closer to what’s in the product (now SF Pro Text; was SF Pro Display)
- Added new components: Card, Color pickers, Blocks (a couple of the common ones)
- Revise approach to the Proposals page. With the combined library, I’d like for it to be inclusive of all scenarios
- Add missing components (from the list on the Components page in Figma)
- Add additional starter blocks
- Clean up organization of Components (some of this has already been started)
In the queue:
- Incorporate Core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. patterns
Next up, another Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ update from @michael-arestad.
Gutenberg 8.6 RC A beta version of software with the potential to be a final product, which is ready to release unless significant bugs emerge. was released two days ago. Expect the release today. Highlights: Video position controls for the Cover block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience., updated block patterns, and tons of fixesThe WordPress 5.5 deadlines are approaching. We have a potential patch next week to update block patterns before RC1.
In progress work:
Then, the docs team is looking for help making new videos of all the Gutenblocks for the documentation. If you want to help, reach out in the #meta-helphub channel.
Next, discussion centered on the 5.5 About page design @estelaris is working on. Check out those drafts on Figma and leave comments if you have more suggestions!
Next week is another Show and Tell Zoom meeting instead of a regular design meeting, if you have something to show, leave a comment below.