Design Team Meeting Notes November 18, 2020

These are the weekly notes for the design meeting that happens on Wednesdays. You can read the full transcript on our Slack channel and find the meeting agenda here. You can join the SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel by following the instructions in our handbook.

Housekeeping
  • We have an open call for note-takers and triage facilitators. These both are great ways to get involved for new contributors but everyone is welcome to help out. Let us know if you are interested in the comments.
  • There is a call for team rep nominations. @karmatosed is rotating out of this role, but she’ll still be contributing so it’s not a goodbye! The call is for one team repTeam Rep A Team Rep is a person who represents the Make WordPress team to the rest of the project, make sure issues are raised and addressed as needed, and coordinates cross-team efforts. who will join @estelaris.
Updates

@hedgefield drew attention to efforts being given to the WP notification center project where developers are discussing and making some early designs. The current focuses are on the admin bar, settings page etc. Feel free to check it out and leave some feedback on the Github page.

@mapk shared the link to the WordPress “Hallway Hangout” a few days back regarding blocks in the CustomizerCustomizer Tool built into WordPress core that hooks into most modern themes. You can use it to preview and modify many of your site’s appearance settings.. A lot of conversation has revolved around the ‘UXUX UX is an acronym for User Experience - the way the user uses the UI. Think ‘what they are doing’ and less about how they do it. with prototypes’ and mock-ups shared. If anyone would like to jump in and provide feedback, they can do so in the post comments or on the actual issue in Github.

Discussion

@clorith published a p2 titled Changing up the forum front page and invited folks from Design to provide feedback to improve the overall user experience of the forum. Please feel free to leave comments on the post.

Open Floor

@hedgefield tried to put a spotlight on the ‘log in’ experience when contributors wishing to check their ‘five for the future‘ pledges. The interface would bring them right back to the WordPress.OrgWordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/ homepage with no indication if you are logged in or not including no option to get to your profile. @karmatosed suggested to investigate the path and start documentation for it.

#meeting-summary, #meeting-notes

Design Team Meeting Notes September 16, 2020

These are the weekly notes for the design meeting that happens on Wednesdays. You can read the full transcript on our Slack channel and find the meeting agenda here. You can join the SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel by following the instructions in our handbook.

Housekeeping

  • We can still use more volunteers for note-taking. Along with this, there are opportunities to participate by running triage sessions. This includes both the CoreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. and GutenbergGutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ triage. Please leave a comment below if you’re interested.
  • Our meetings have changed a little to be as close to 30 minutes as possible, as an experiment. This won’t stop conversation if it’s flowing. With daylight savings affecting different time-zones, we would like to know your thoughts on the current timing for the meeting. We would love to hear from you if you think that we need to make adjustments. Please leave a comment with your thoughts.

Updates

@estelaris is running an audit on metaMeta Meta is a term that refers to the inside workings of a group. For us, this is the team that works on internal WordPress sites like WordCamp Central and Make WordPress. tickets to check if there are any that could be resolved by the new WP.org design style guide proposal. Here is a link to the working document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZL2mzJzCjxBt0hPOtRCzvFlgBsTeU90u3bMFNNI0h7s/edit

@noah has been continuing to work on global styles considerations including present and future explorations, and have been in the process of reining it back into what we can incrementally do from this point on. Also have a plan on an open, casual jam session (via Zoom) this Friday around 13:00 UTC.

@paaljoachim is working on New design for revisionsRevisions The WordPress revisions system stores a record of each saved draft or published update. The revision system allows you to see what changes were made in each revision by dragging a slider (or using the Next/Previous buttons). The display indicates what has changed in each revision. panel here: https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/25270 and also made a link control suggestion here: https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/24021#issuecomment-691917035 

@michael-arestad is designing a blockBlock Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. directory page. Essentially a plugins directory focused on blocks and block patterns. Ideally, he’d like to show the block or block pattern itself, but technical challenges aside, it is complex for other design reasons as blocks can do all sorts of things.

@karmatosed has mostly been focused on WP 5.6 and catching all the awesome little tickets for design. Also she’s been working on some designs for options in Gutenberg which is yet to be posted.

Discussion

@paaljoachim suggested having an hour long triage session at least once a month. He has held a bunch of triage sessions and feels that having the one hour Gutenberg triage session once a week has in general worked pretty well. @estelaris suggested about doing them randomly like the Zoom sessions. @karmatosed pointed out that there are a few problems with a burden of setting up another meeting just with one person doing. It holds to a time and place. If you perhaps see it as an occasional opportunity not something you have to do each week, which may give a better opportunity. She also added by saying, anyone can spin up a Zoom or ask a team repTeam Rep A Team Rep is a person who represents the Make WordPress team to the rest of the project, make sure issues are raised and addressed as needed, and coordinates cross-team efforts. to set up one. @estelaris emphasized on the fact that it would be a good idea to announce it in the #design channel some time before each session. Can work the day before or few hours before, so people are aware because we have visitors at random hours.

Open Floor

@karmatosed brought the topic of ‘Learn WordPress’ initiative and if any working session leads to a workshop then we can definitely take advantage of the crossover opportunity provided by the #training team. Here is the p2 post: https://make.wordpress.org/community/2020/08/12/learn-wordpress-is-live/ and the official site: https://learn.wordpress.org/ This can definitely be a good way to turn casual things into resources.

@estelaris also introduced @manzwebdesigns who recently joined the team and asked if anyone was willing to mentor him for a bit to which @paaljoachim gladly accepted.

#meeting-summary, #meeting-notes

Design Team Meeting Notes September 9, 2020

These are the weekly notes for the design meeting that happens on Wednesdays. You can read the full transcript on our Slack channel and find the meeting agenda here. You can join the SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel by following the instructions in our handbook.

Housekeeping

  • We can still use more volunteers for note-taking. Along with this, there are 2 opportunities to participate by running triage sessions. This includes both the coreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. and GutenbergGutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ triage. Please leave a comment below if you’re interested.
  • With daylight savings affecting different time-zones, we would like to know your thoughts on the current timing for the meeting. We would love to hear from you if you think that we need to make adjustments. Please leave a comment with your thoughts.

Gutenberg

Gutenberg 8.9.3 is here. @michael-arestad shared notes from the #core-editor chat:

  • @karmatosed is working on iterating the options panel.
  • Custom CSS is on the horizon for the Group blockBlock Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience..
  • @nrqsnchz is working on a feature to allow users to upload subtitles for a video.
  • The Navigation screen has a few more proposals.
  • The Widgets screen is ready to be implemented.
  • @mapk is starting designs for the query block.

Updates

@ibdz reported that he is working on creating a WP-Admin Core library in Figma. Perfect timing to work along with #core-css that focuses on CSSCSS CSS is an acronym for cascading style sheets. This is what controls the design or look and feel of a site. Audit and CSS Scheming. Any update will be posted in the future meetings. ~180 unique colors in WP-Admin Core will be updated soon.

Discussion

@karmatosed suggested this meeting experiments with being 30 minutes for a few weeks. The idea like any could iterate and of course no time should stop conversation. Upon discussion she further suggested that we begin with the following changes:

  • Move meeting to Tuesday only for Triage, combined.
  • Try to have it focus on release this week: doing both in 30 mins.
  • Make sure it’s just Triage, only issues need attention, not discussion.
  • Move discussion issues to this meeting.
  • Change this meeting to 30 mins from next week.

@michael-arestad asked, Are these updates useful? Most of the folks involved are in this meeting. Perhaps we could just do it like the #core-editor meeting where folks all share their update task-coordination-style.

@mapk and @nrqsnchz both like the idea of removing any burden from folks. Also it’s fine if each person comments what they’re working on and any feedback they need. This will get posted in the notes so more folks can chime in.

Other suggestions given:

  • Posting the shortlist of tickets 30 min before Triage? So, there’s more room to read before discussion.
  • Invite Ticket owners to the meeting, this could work if we manage to have a list before Triage.
  • ASync Design Discussion, where an issue is pinned to the channel, that becomes the Async topic for say 6 hrs, where people can comment on a thread of that topic, etc.  Then the issues could wrap up discussion during a regular scheduled meeting.  This way, there are constantly new issues that can be discussed throughout the day/week.

@cameronduncalfe asked if there is a single file that has all the default Gutenberg blocks (frontend) in Figma? @mapk and @michael-arstad confirmed that Gutenberg blocks being complex and we don’t have a single file like that.

@aristath raised the following points for discussion:

The 1st one will be nice for global-styles so users can select the font-families they need, while the 2nd one is necessary if users want to build a side-headerHeader The header of your site is typically the first thing people will experience. The masthead or header art located across the top of your page is part of the look and feel of your website. It can influence a visitor’s opinion about your content and you/ your organization’s brand. It may also look different on different screen sizes. layout in FSE.

@karmatosed suggested taking conversations to the issues probably is good, but great to keep eyes on in this regard.

Open Floor

@estelaris suggested to keep the impromptu Zoom meetings. Those are good when they are not on schedule and have a specific goal.

@karmatosed suggested to perhaps start APAC Triages or office hours? We have to consider that as a team we focus a lot on a certain timezone, as we grow how can we adapt?

@estelaris further added by emphasizing to consider that we elect team reps who are not both in the same time zone? That would help keep other time zones involved.

#meeting-summary, #meeting-notes

Design Team Meeting Notes September 2, 2020

These are the weekly notes for the design meeting that happens on Wednesdays. You can read the full transcript on our Slack channel and find the meeting agenda here. You can join the SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel by following the instructions in our handbook.

Housekeeping

  • We can still use more volunteers for note-taking and triage leading. Leave a comment below if you’re interested.
  • We welcome @karmatosed back from sabbatical.

GutenbergGutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/

@michael-arestad brings Gutenberg updates: A new Gutenberg release is happening shortly. The blockBlock Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience.-based widgets screen will no longer be experimental this release.

  • Global styles work is ramping up with @noah leading the design.
  • Proposals for font family and font weight picking. It was the source of discussion during a triage yesterday.
  • @mapk is starting design work on the Query block.
  • @q continues to masterfully improve the G2 Components project. This post about a Style System is particularly interesting.
  • A prototype for searching the block directory within the inserter was proposed last week. We’ve received good feedback as @michael-arestad is working up the next iteration.

Open Floor

@snaushads initiated some work on the wp-admin>Gutenberg update and asked what should be the starting point of the Admin>Gutenberg iteration, is it a UIUI UI is an acronym for User Interface - the layout of the page the user interacts with. Think ‘how are they doing that’ and less about what they are doing. refresh or a complete overhaul? Explorations of which can be found here: https://www.figma.com/file/5guogx5ebxfqJgUQNj5hta/Core-Navigation?node-id=518%3A20969 He had a chat with @michael-arestad and they both agreed that it should be incremental. @snaushads further posed the question on What should be the starting baseline inclement?

  • Form Fields
  • Color Schemes, or 
  • Other areas.

@ibdz suggested he is currently working on the Figma WP-Admin CoreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. library. According to his suggestion we can start with:

  • Colors
  • Text Styles
  • Grid
  • Effect Styles

Then experiment on the components along with views. From current 5.5, there’s a lot of inconsistency shade of grey using hex mixing with rgba.

@michael-arestad suggested that Colors would be an excellent starting point. He further suggested dropping into #core-css weekly chat tomorrow if possible.

@estelaris added saying It is important to collaborate with other teams that relate to the project we are working on. He will need input from Core, CSSCSS CSS is an acronym for cascading style sheets. This is what controls the design or look and feel of a site., AccessibilityAccessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility). Regarding the question about what is the concern with the a11yAccessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) issues from last year’s audit she said that is a good question to take to the #accessibility team in their next meeting. They may have a better answer.

#meeting-summary, #meeting-notes

Design meeting notes for Thursday April 26, 2018

You can find this weeks design meeting transcription here on Slack, or jump to different topic discussions by using the links in the document following.

Housekeeping

Design team related

  • On our about page for make.wordpress.orgWordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/ it says “pixel perfect designer.” Can we update that as it feels a little outdated?
    We discussed that this term is not very inclusive, and that it would be nice if we could convey “design” a little more broadly, since, besides the visual aspect, there’s also UXUX UX is an acronym for User Experience - the way the user uses the UI. Think ‘what they are doing’ and less about how they do it.. After a short discussion, we decided on just ‘designer’ would do for now. New text is available on make.wordpress.org
  • What belongs in the Design Resources column of Trello?
    After an extensive discussion last week, we felt the need to give this a bit more attention. Initially we thought TrelloTrello Project management system using the concepts of boards and cards to organize tasks in a sane way. This is what the make.wordpress.com/marketing team uses for example: https://trello.com/b/8UGHVBu8/wp-marketing. would be a good place to store assets, but we revisited that idea. We talked about integrating GithubGitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/, or go back to basis and use the handbook for both assets and resources. @hugobaeta joined the conversation and had some good ideas: If they are static assets – like logos, sketch pattern libraries, etc – they could live in handbook. If it’s a project-based asset – like a .org page redesign, etc – they could be in a repo.
    The team thinks it’s worth exploring a design Github repo under WordPress. @karmatosed will investigate how we can get one.
    We also tried to find out if we could extend the file types we can upload to our handbook, keeping version control and file management in mind. *Incoming:zip and psd were already possible. Added ai and sketch, and svg only for admins.” This means we can add assets to the handbook and keep that as a first to go for designers who want to contribute to the project.

Triage Inbox

See Inbox column on Trello board. Calls for design made via the Make blog, SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/., etc. should be transferred to Inbox each week, along with any new cards that need to be acknowledged.

  • Nothing today

Calls for design

See Calls for Design column on Trello board. Anything to be archived? Follow up on in-progress cards, etc.

  • There’s an in-progress one about Design templates related to the Design Resourced discussion above

Items labeled ready to be a meeting topic

Filter Trello board for ‘meeting’ label which means that some work has gone into the card, and we have enough detail to make a decision on it.

  • Nothing today

Requests to review existing tickets

Typically from Trac or GitHub

  • Nothing today

If time allows, follow-up on older cards

Filter Trello board for ‘needs discussion’ label. If none, triage any Trello cards that are not yet owned.

  • No time left

Thanks all for attending this weeks meeting and let’s continue on improving our structure and documentation for future reference. It’s not easy, but worth spending time on!

#meeting-summary, #meeting-notes

Design meeting summary for Thursday April 19, 2018

You can find this weeks design meeting transcription here on Slack, or jump to different topic discussions by using the links in the document following.

Housekeeping

>Design team related

  • No new topics

Triage Inbox

See Inbox column on Trello board. Calls for design made via the Make blog, SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/., etc. should be transferred to Inbox each week, along with any new cards that need to be acknowledged.

  • Improve Trello board Organization
    Mindmantra says that currently, the design trelloTrello Project management system using the concepts of boards and cards to organize tasks in a sane way. This is what the make.wordpress.com/marketing team uses for example: https://trello.com/b/8UGHVBu8/wp-marketing. board is divided in silos without any predefined workflow. And is somewhat murky if someone without history with it arrives on it. @karmatosed says that the way we use the Trello board, is a little different from a project / product and that both systems can be hard for new contributors to handle. We have an extensive discussion on this topic, concluding this is part of the Onboarding ‘problem’ we have and should be worked on. @boemedia mentions the fact that onboarding in design isn’t a quick thing and we need to set expectations that it takes time to start actively contributing.
  • Dark mode
    Design eyes are requested for the WordPress dark mode plugin, which now is a pluginPlugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party, but in the near future hopefully a coreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. feature. More info on the plugin can be found on either Github or Trac.
    A few good examples of dark mode are discussed, like Instapaper or Twitter. The thought is, that this isn’t that much of an accessibilityAccessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) thing, but more about the looks. A turn on/turn off switch would be a really nice thing to have.

Calls for design

See Calls for Design column on Trello board. Anything to be archived? Follow up on in-progress cards, etc.

  • do any cards need discussion?
    We discussed the Design templates of wp-admin for plugin devs, and figured we’d need a place to keep templates for others to use. First idea is the Trello board, with maybe a link from the design handbook. We have a discussion on version control, and whether GithubGitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ may be more appropriate for this. @mindmantra suggests Prototypr, but this is probable a paid solution. Worth checking out anyway.
    For now we decide on keeping the Trello column and creating a link from the handbook. Setting up a Github repo goes in the Trello roadmap as a to do under ‘handbook’

Items labelled ready to be a meeting topic

Filter Trello board for ‘meeting’ label which means that some work has gone into the card, and we have enough detail to make a decision on it.

Requests to review existing tickets

Typically from Trac or GitHub

There wasn’t enough time to give proper feedback on both tickets, so we decided on starting next Monday’s ticket triage with these two.

If time allows, follow-up on older cards

Filter Trello board for ‘needs discussion’ label. If none, triage any Trello cards that are not yet owned.

  • No time to go through older cards.

Thanks everyone for actively attending the meeting, especially first timers. It was a constructive and productive meeting and we hope to see everyone again next week, same time!

 

#meeting-summary, #meeting-notes

Meeting summary for 8/14

Note: meeting on 8/7 did not really happen, as many were traveling or otherwise out of commission post-WCSF.

Meeting was largely focused on status check of various items and really bearing down on assignments and breaking down tasks into what can be realistically accomplished within a given time period (the next week) so we can regularly check in. Setting the goal is not the maximum that can be achieved – only the minimum. Things finished early or with aplomb are highly encouraged 🙂

  • Welcome screen/panel refinements are still chugging along after @lessbloat‘s paternity leave (CONGRATS). Latest iteration at https://make.wordpress.org/ui/2012/07/24/welcome-screen-design-v2/#comment-22349. Discussed possibly having different paths based on whether or not a static front pageStatic Front Page A WordPress website can have a dynamic blog-like front page, or a “static front page” which is used to show customized content. Typically this is the first page you see when you visit a site url, like wordpress.org for example. is assigned. @lessbloat, @melchoyce, and @chexee are looking at the UXUX UX is an acronym for User Experience - the way the user uses the UI. Think ‘what they are doing’ and less about how they do it./language side. @sabreuse and @georgestephanis are on the dev side. Would like UX/language nailed down before next meeting and rough patch started. Testing can start anytime there’s something testable. Dev-wise, all hook-ability issues should be addressed this go-round. Tickets: #21368, #21331
  • Color picker. @mattwiebe and Devin Price worked on this at WCSF dev day, going with integrating Automattic’s open source Iris color picker, and will continue to work together toward a patch. @mattwiebe worked with us directly on some UIUI UI is an acronym for User Interface - the layout of the page the user interacts with. Think ‘how are they doing that’ and less about what they are doing./UX picking and will continue to refine. Designers welcome to take a look and give feedback as well. @koopersmith is on JS consult. We should be able to knock out the consistency issue while we’re at it. Would like to see basic implementation in at least one place (settings screen or customizerCustomizer Tool built into WordPress core that hooks into most modern themes. You can use it to preview and modify many of your site’s appearance settings. – both are needed for final product) by next week. Tickets: #21206 and #19616
  • Cookies are on offer for a solid patch on #16379. There are some finer details that need consideration, such as editing screens and title + slug. More details in the IRC log: https://irclogs.wordpress.org/chanlog.php?channel=wordpress-ui&day=2012-08-14&sort=asc#m51505
  • @tddewey put up a nice big patch for the remainder of the admin UI images needing HiDPI treatment on #21019. Leaving this to @azaozz for review and dropping in, now that gradients are in and extraneous images have been deleted.
  • I (@helenyhou) am on #21391 as my singular dev task – using the post edit screen for attachment editing, and any CPT support and edit screen enhancements that come with. It is quite full of rabbit holes. Would love a dev partner or two (or more) on this – have some leads now thanks to dev chat.
  • Media. @koopersmith is working on making those lovely wireframes a reality. @azaozz working on preview in the editor: #21585
  • Bonus item: UI/UX guidelines for plugins and themes. Discussion stemming from http://wp.smashingmagazine.com/2012/08/08/help-us-help-wordpress/, with a rough potential document started by @melchoyce at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZWPeUSFVYlMxClmHFjuAXuekXcZsLso49G3bDRquHcs/edit. Would just like to see how this might pan out in terms of a publishable document. Will be leaving my own comments over on Smashing Mag.

Reminder: devs should ideally be focused on one large item at any given moment. Working on your own pet projects and roaming around is always fine, but would prefer to stay away from overcommitment, especially for point people. This includes me 🙂

#meeting-summary

Meeting summary for 7/31

Logs: https://irclogs.wordpress.org/chanlog.php?channel=wordpress-ui&day=2012-07-31&sort=asc#m49644

  • Media wireframes: look at them if you haven’t yet, and leave feedback. Development breakdowns and work will happen in #wordpress-dev when we get there, for the development-minded. WCSF dev day will also be a forum for more discussion for those who are there, and we will be vigilant about sharing those conversations publicly. Tickets to keep an eye on: #21390 and #21391
  • AccessibilityAccessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) is still a big need in terms of expertise and hands on deck, and there are plenty of tasks with UI implications. Discuss on the post if you’re interested or have knowledge when it comes to making things accessible on the web (screenreaders and non-mouse users, for instance) or hit up @sabreuse, who is helping shepherd efforts. Also keep an eye on Make Accessibility.
  • Welcome screen v2 is also still in wireframe and copy feedback stage. We need to drop the Spotlight/Alfred/Quicksilver search thing in terms of coreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. development this cycle (sorry, we know how cool it is) and focus on iterating on the panel that is there. We also need go back to focusing on new user experience (NUX) and initial walkthroughs/links for now. The ideas have been great, and are not being thrown away by any means – we just need to focus so that we can actually get something done in time. Who knows, if we move fast, and get user testing rolling, we might be able to look at more iterations (and toss in a hook to make a pluginPlugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party for the Spotlight thing possible) 🙂

And finally, a reminder that open office hours are every weekday at 19:00 UTC (3PM EDT). #wordpress-ui is always open for discussions, but if you’re a little more nervous about just poking your head in or want to schedule something with a group, it’s a great time to do just that!

#meeting-summary

Meeting Summary, 7/3

What we talked about today:

  • Briefly touched on @lessbloat‘s post about an advisory group. We should discuss that more right there in the comments of that post, especially if you are linking to resources. Basic consensus is that it’s a great idea.
  • The things we’ve observed and learned from the three user tests that have been done so far. @lessbloat is also going to run some tests focusing on the CMS-type tasks. We discussed low hanging fruit as well as bigger things we can approach, whether for 3.5 or 3.6. More details on those will come in follow up two separate discussion posts. We need to be disciplined about being data-informed rather than data-driven (especially in these small sample numbers), the prioritization of tasks, and being realistic about effort levels and commitments.
  • Pre-flight checklists for things that should always have eyes on them before a release, or rather, before a cycle nears betaBeta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process.. This includes things like the about page and welcome panel as well as process lists for things like patch review/testing. Ideally we’d formalize a few of these. As @jane said, checklists save lives, really!
  • A very quick discussion about the process of UIUI UI is an acronym for User Interface - the layout of the page the user interacts with. Think ‘how are they doing that’ and less about what they are doing. in WordPress coreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress., from design-y side things like graphics and mockups to turning them into TracTrac Trac is the place where contributors create issues for bugs or feature requests much like GitHub.https://core.trac.wordpress.org/. tickets and code/plugins/patches. We need to get back to the way things were/supposed to be and dig up an old post on the process. Briefly, this means that design iterations can happen right here on Make UI rather than Trac, as Trac can be intimidating for some folks and often does devolve into linear discussions about details and code. As a team repTeam Rep A Team Rep is a person who represents the Make WordPress team to the rest of the project, make sure issues are raised and addressed as needed, and coordinates cross-team efforts., I (@helenyhou) will be happy to summarize for #wordpress-dev chats or on Trac as crucial points are hit. For those who aren’t as comfortable with code and/or SVNSVN Apache Subversion (often abbreviated SVN, after its command name svn) is a software versioning and revision control system. Software developers use Subversion to maintain current and historical versions of files such as source code, web pages, and documentation. Its goal is to be a mostly compatible successor to the widely used Concurrent Versions System (CVS). WordPress core and the wordpress.org released code are all centrally managed through SVN. https://subversion.apache.org/., we should buddy up in pairs or small teams and work together to get working code and then turn that into a patch. For example, a design and front-end type can work with a dev proficient with SVN to get their idea turned into a nice clean patch, or a design-type can work with a dev who’s still learning about contributing along with a seasoned contributor. Again, I’ll facilitate folks getting set up to work together as needed, but since we’re all very friendly, there’s a good chance it’ll happen naturally. There are also going to be clearer paths for discussion and review.

I would like to note here that we encourage plugins for proposals that involve UI changes because not all people (or realistically, the minority of people) know how to apply a patch or have an environment in which to do so. A pluginPlugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party, whether or not it’s actually in the .org repo, is a better way to get non-coding types to have a go at testing. I think this is sometimes not well communicated or understood and can come across as a brush-off, so I thought I would write it out here again.

Things to do:

  • Discussion posts here on Make UI – coming shortly. These are going to function sort of as writing prompts.
  • Yet another survey post about contributors so we can have a reference point for teaming up.
  • We should write up some documents like “Getting Started with Contributing to the UI Group”, guidelines for things like QA/testing, RTL, and accessibilityAccessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility), and some of those checklists mentioned above. Remember that we strongly encourage iteration 🙂

#meeting-summary, #summary

Meeting summary, May 8

We made quite a bit of progress on creating unified CSSCSS CSS is an acronym for cascading style sheets. This is what controls the design or look and feel of a site. Coding Standards, which continue to be documented on this Codex user page. We are currently seeking comment format suggestions, especially for section headers and flag methods for ease of searching/navigating. Please leave suggestions as an edit of the Codex page in the Comments section, and sign your proposal (just so we avoid accidentally editing somebody else’s work). We are teasingly calling it a homework assignment 🙂

We’ll also need to remember to update the table of contents for wp-admin.dev.css at some point.

Finally, don’t forget to take the UI Contributor Survey that @jane posted. She makes a very good point about what the various areas of UIUI UI is an acronym for User Interface - the layout of the page the user interacts with. Think ‘how are they doing that’ and less about what they are doing. are and that newcomers are often put off if the focus of the moment is outside their comfort zone.

#meeting-summary, #summary