These are the weekly notes for the design meeting that happens on Wednesdays. You can read the full transcript on our Slack channel and find the meeting agenda here. You can join the Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel by following the instructions in our handbook.
Attendees: @reachmazharul @adampickering, @chaion07, @kristengunther, @FahimMurshed, @hedgefield, @mukesh27, @kellychoffman, @critterverse, @paaljoachim, @aurangajeb, @hnew, @joyously, @estelaris, @karmatosed, @rashedul007, @annezazu, @ravipatel
WordPress 5.7 Esperanza is available! You can read about the post by Matt following this link: https://wordpress.org/news/2021/03/esperanza/
The highlights for WordPress 5.7 are:
- The new editor is easier to use
- Font-size adjustment in more places
- Reusable blocks
- Inserter drag-and-drop
- Do more without writing custom code
- Full-height alignment
- Buttons block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience.
- Social Icons block
- A simpler default color palette
- From HTTP HTTP is an acronym for Hyper Text Transfer Protocol. HTTP is the underlying protocol used by the World Wide Web and this protocol defines how messages are formatted and transmitted, and what actions Web servers and browsers should take in response to various commands. to HTTPS HTTPS is an acronym for Hyper Text Transfer Protocol Secure. HTTPS is the secure version of HTTP, the protocol over which data is sent between your browser and the website that you are connected to. The 'S' at the end of HTTPS stands for 'Secure'. It means all communications between your browser and the website are encrypted. This is especially helpful for protecting sensitive data like banking information. in a single click
- New Robots API An API or Application Programming Interface is a software intermediary that allows programs to interact with each other and share data in limited, clearly defined ways.
- Lazy-load your iFrames
- Ongoing cleanup after update to jQuery 3.5.1
Kudos to @hedgefield Tim Hedgefield for serving the role of the design lead for WordPress 5.7 release.
Core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. Blog Highlights
To get involve:
– Core Editor weekly Wednesdays @ 14:00 UTC in #core-editor focused on all-things Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/.
– Block-Based Themes meeting twice monthly on Wednesday @ 16:00 UTC in #themereview focused on preparing for Full Site Editing.
With the release of WP 5.7 also comes an end to this term of release lead The community member ultimately responsible for the Release.. @hedgefieldand was confused during this time as there wasn’t much documentation for guidance. He learned a lot from talking to previous leads – @estelaris and @karmatosed. With the learning of the process, he compiled a guide for the design Handbook.
During the 5.7 release, the design team ran joint meetings between the design and accessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) teams. Since they were helpful, the team agreed to run them monthly during quiet times and weekly during releases.
Full Site Editing
Testing Call #3 is about Creating a fun & custom 404 page: https://make.wordpress.org/test/2021/03/09/fse-program-testing-call-3-create-a-fun-custom-404-page/ props to @annezazu
@chaion07 is continuing a conversation with @estelaris on the Triage Summary Format. Expect a p2 on as soon as the draft is ready. The tentative timeline for the p2 is 2 weeks from now.
Timezone and Daylight Savings
@cbringmann posted in a p2 recently in the Update Blog mentioning the time changes: https://make.wordpress.org/updates/2021/02/09/2021-daylight-savings-time-planning/
The dates are:
- March 14 – US/CA starts DST
- March 29 – UK/EU starts DST
- April 4 – AU ends DST
As for the DST time, last time the team decided to follow the UTC time and didn’t change the meeting time as it is very confusing for everyone.
@estelaris will make a post before the end of the week regarding DTS time, if anyone objects or has any other ideas, please add them there.
@estelaris mentioned PR #29709, although it has been closed now, she believes it is food for thought regarding the impact every small change to the block editor is making on users.