I did a usability test on the recently updated image and gallery features in the editor using WordPress r27502 with a beginner user.
- Drag and drop to add an image is not discoverable
- Resizing an image by dragging is not discoverable
- Extensive inline help needed to figure out cropping
- Unable to find “medium” size setting
- Difficulty replacing an image, but only because she didn’t insert one to start with
- No trouble rotating, deleting, re-adding images
- No trouble adding, deleting, or changing columns in a gallery
You can download the full video here: bf80a9a3.mp4 (Length: 19:00)
Points of Confusion
Drag and drop to add an image is not discoverable (Length: 3:01)
Task given was to resize an image (trying to get them to drag the corner), but she scales it instead (Length: 1:05)
Difficulty cropping, had to use inline help to learn how it works (Length: 1:18)
Unable to find the setting to change an image to medium size (Length: 1:41)
Difficulty replacing the image because she never actually inserted it in the first place (Length: 3:22)
See more highlight reels after the jump.
#editor, #images, #media, #usability-testing-2
Problem: If a graphic file is white in color AND has transparent background, as often a case with PNG and GIF files, there is no chance for it to be visible as icon in Media Library. It will always be white on white.
Need to figure out best approach to solve this problem while not introducing bloat for displaying images that don’t have this issue. Brainstorm in the comments.
#backgrounds, #css, #images, #trac