Call for Design: PHP Upgrade Page

What is it?

As we all know that the PHP 5.5, 5.6 and 7.0 has hit the EOL (End of Life) and is no longer actively supported, PHP 7.2 and 7.3 are now actively supported. The #core-php team is working on a page that spreads awareness about upgrading the server to supported PHP versions for the purpose of performance and security.

What is the current status?

Work has been going on for a while, the #core-php team is working on this and they have built a page right now which can be viewed here.

There were a few designs that were created back in May 2018 and will have to be reworked on to accomodate the new fresh content. The page has a chunk at the top which gives a clear message if the server needs to be upgraded or not.

What is to be improved?

The current design is single column and does not have the ‘Table of Contents’ like the one implemented in the live page. There also needs to be a more design-wise seamless integration of the chunk at the top which gives a clear message if the server needs to be upgraded or not.

What is the plan?

This page is currently live but needs improvement in terms of how it educates the user by clearly telling that the upgrade is required. @flixos90 and myself are working on this page. Contributions and thoughts are welcome and you can reach out to us or #design channel to discuss this.

#core-php

Design meeting notes

A new week, a new meeting in the WordPress design team. Woo hoo! You can follow the posted agenda here.

Update PHP page

First up, we chatted about the update PHP page in WordPress. Felix Artnz shared the need for design support.

He is representing the #core-php team, and has been working on helping site owners update outdated versions of PHP. Link to the Slack chat conversation.

The update PHP page is an important part of all this. They’re looking for design help on the page, updating visual assets and the copy. Jayman Pandya volunteered to help and give updates back to the channel with Felix.

Site Health Check project

Earlier today Tim Hengeveld shared a call for design to join on an exciting project. I want to use the nifty embed feature in this post, check it out!

Communication within Design

We also briefly walked through preferred methods of communication in the Core Design team. Often the question comes up about where information should be shared. Should it be put into Trac, Trello, Github, Slack? The Make WordPress blog?

Any of these can work, but in general try to put discussions in a place available to all team members, and reference those back to the Slack channel when possible.

That’s what Slack is for, an open communication avenue for anyone to jump in and follow!

Accessibility and design

Luke Pettway and Meagen Voss have been working hard recently to build a bridge between a11y (accessibility team) and design. Tammie shared a few questions with the channel:

  • How can we continue to build things together?
  • What steps can we do to bring a11y into our workflow at all stages?
  • What would people like to learn about a11y to be more enabled?

We discussed the need for more understanding of the needs of the a11y team. Luke Pettway volunteered to share a walkthrough (potentially as videos) of ways we can help!

Accessibility and handbooks

Luke Pettway and Meagen Voss have also been looking at updating the handbooks for each team in WordPress to include accessibility information. They could see various accessibility plugins created for the tools the design team uses (Sketch, InVision, and maybe Figma)

It’s important to consider a11y early on since some of the biggest problems can arise during the planning stage, before anything is even designed.

We also discussed ways that we can continue to communicate and connect more closely so that we’re all working together with a single focus.

Luke Pettway also shared a link to resources, as a starting point for anyone interested in learning more.

The a11y team would love to help in anyway that’s needed!

#meeting-notes

Design meeting agenda for Wednesday 16th January

This week’s meeting will be at 19:00 UTC tomorrow in Slack #design. Here are the suggested topics:

  • Trello board check.
  • @flixos90 noted designers are needed for updates page (from #core-php team). Let’s discuss.
  • Bridging with the accessibility team. @luke_pettway and @vossiboss have been helping there, how can we continue building together?
  • Open floor.

If there is anything you would like to see added to the agenda, please leave a comment.

#meeting-agenda

Design meeting agenda for Wednesday May 9, 2018

The weekly design meeting has moved to Wednesday at 17.00 UTC (see it in your time). We’ll be discussing the topics below. If you have anything you want to discuss, please add it to the comments of this post, or mention it on our Slack channel.

Housekeeping

Design team related

Triage Inbox

See Inbox column on Trello board. Calls for design made via the Make blog, Slack, etc. should be transferred to Inbox each week, along with any new cards that need to be acknowledged.

Calls for design

See Calls for Design column on Trello board. Anything to be archived? Follow up on in-progress cards, etc.

  • Several are in-progress. Any need for discussion?
  • PHP Meeting is revived

Items labeled ready to be a meeting topic

Filter Trello board for ‘meeting’ label which means that some work has gone into the card, and we have enough detail to make a decision on it.

  • Nothing today

Requests to review existing tickets

Typically from Trac or GitHub

  • from @flixos90: I’m not sure if this fits in your meeting today, so please let me or the #core-php channel know when there’s time for it. We’re also around to help with contextual questions of course. For feedback, please comment on the meta ticket for the page https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3609

If time allows, follow-up on older cards

Filter Trello board for ‘needs discussion’ label. If none, triage any Trello cards that are not yet owned.

#meeting-agenda