Since there have been some questions about CEUX recently, as announced in our 10/22 meeting, CEUX has been put on hold until there are more available developers interested in working on the project.
Thanks to @joen for collaborating on concepts with me, everyone who pitched ideas here and in our weekly chats, and @diegoliv and @briandichiara for their hard work on the CEUX plugin. Diego has expressed interest in working on the plugin some more in his spare time. If anyone else is interested, I’m happy to give commit access.
’til next time. See you, space cowboys.
Couldn’t make it last week? Check out the chat log.
This past week, we’ve had some new designs pop up:
@joen presented these in chat:
- I made some quick riff on them:
@joen worked on some more mockups based on his earlier idea:
- I tried a different approach:
- @diegoliv made an alternate version to that approach:
UX feedback is welcome, though keep in mind these are still ideas. We’re looking for big-picture issues. 🙂
Getting stuff done
We’re going to continue to work on smoothing out these ideas, then will need some people to help us prototype them. To help that along, we’ve put together a spreadsheet of tasks. If you’re interested in claiming a task, let me know.
We’re pretty deep into various design concepts, but I think I want to also take a step back and evaluate what we’ve done so far. Are we on the right track? To help this, I’ve put together a survey:
Writing Posts in WordPress
Please take this when you have a moment and share it along. The results will be used to help us figure out if we’re solving the right problems, or if we need to step back and try out some different ideas. It will also help us determine if there are any “quick wins” we can implement prior to adding content blocks.
Chat is tomorrow, Tuesday the 24th at 17:00 UTC in #wordpress-ui. I’ll be on a plane, so I might not be able to make it, so @joen has agreed to lead in case of my absence.
We had a pretty exciting chat last week! Here’s what happened:
- Briefly went over our initial wireframes and Jen’s feedback. @joen is planning on working on some wireframes based on her suggestions.
- Next, we talked a lot about @diegoliv’s WIP prototype and agreed it’s a great start to move forward from.
- @JustinDGivens and @wonderboymusic worked on moving Diego’s prototype into plugin form, then merged it into the content blocks plugin, which now generates a new “add post (prototype)” page for testing out content blocks. Diego will continue work on the prototype in this plugin.
This upcoming week sounds like it’ll be a work week, so I’m thinking the meeting will just be a check-in. Come with your questions, comments, and any progress you’ve made with sketching or developing. As always, chat is Tuesday at 17:00 UTC in #wordpress-ui.
This week’s chat was uneventful — not a lot of progress this week as people continue to work on wireframes.
This morning, I touched base with @jenmylo to get her feedback on some wireframes I’ve been working on. She had a lot of great UX, usability and accessibility feedback that’ll help shape how we move forward with this project. She plans on typing up her notes and posting them here when she has a chance.
One thing we quickly figured out was wireframes are a really bad method for communicating interaction. She suggested I join forces with a developer skilled in jquery to quickly prototype our ideas instead of trying to wireframe them moving forward. Any jquery-savvy developers interest in pairing up? Otherwise, I’ll look into storyboarding as a method for communicating interactions.
If anyone else has worked on some wireframes, this would be a great place to post them.
Next chat will take place next Tuesday, 17:00 UTC in #wordpress-ui, but please feel free to post and comment here if you have ideas or questions.
Sorry guys, I’d meant to get this out earlier. Here’s last week’s meeting log.
- Chatted a bit about embeds WordPress core currently supports, and how we can start grouping similar content types together
- Decided on including a generic “embed” block
- Explored different ideas for how you could move blocks around
- Talked about using an “agile” development approach
For this week
- Start wireframing out block scenarios (for example, what happens when I click a video block? What pops up? etc.) and then present them during chat
- Explore text as “just another content block”
- Continue developing the initial plugin functionality
Next meeting is tomorrow, 17:00 UTC in #wordpress-ui. Bring your wireframes. 🙂
We kicked off CEUX with our first meeting this past Tuesday, August 20th. Couldn’t make it? Check out the IRC logs.
Some meeting notes:
- We elected a team lead (me)
- We defined the objective of this project, which is improving the user experience around adding content to posts and pages.
- Next, we chatted about scope, and determined the following items are in scope:
- Improved text formatting (aka making changes to the format bar and how users select things like bold or italic, make lists, add links, etc.)
- Content blocks
- Improved html mode with syntax highlighting (later iterations)
- Autodetection of post formats based on post content (later iterations)
- We also talked about what is not in scope:
- The publishing experience (saving a draft, scheduling, etc.)
- Creating advanced page layouts (like defining widget areas on your page, etc.)
- Widgets, menus, appearance, etc. Anything that isn’t specifically about writing or editing posts and pages.
@wonderboymusic has set up a plugin for us here. Feel free to install it and start playing around. You can also check out our initial mockups here. Please remember both of these are very much early stage works-in-progress, and that nothing is final yet.
Additionally, @wonderboymusic will be acting as the team’s developer lead. This means that he will have the final say on all development matters moving forward.
For next week:
- I’d like us to start putting together a list of all content blocks we should include by default. I’ll get us started thinking about these in the comments.
- Once we start getting a list together, I want us to start sketching or wireframing what each of these blocks will look like — what fields do we need for each? How should they be displayed in the post? Etc. In addition to our starting mockups, @joen has some great mockups which we can liberally steal from. 🙂
- @wonderboymusic will take a chunk of our meeting to go over how plugin development will be structured.
Our next meeting is Tuesday 17:00 UTC in #wordpress-ui. Hope to see you then!
This group will be focused around streamlining and improving the overall content editing experience in WordPress. We’ll be exploring better methods for curating and formatting content within the post and page editors. We have a preliminary set of mockups that we’ll be expanding and iterating on as we start. Here’s the plugin we’ll be building.
Our first CEUX meeting will be taking place on Tuesday 17:00 UTC in #wordpress-ui. Providing this works for most people, we’ll continue meeting at this time each week.
During our meeting, we’ll elect a team lead and discuss our process moving forward.
Our initial team is: @melchoyce (me!), @wonderboymusic, @saracannon, @DavidHickox, @georgestephanis, @helen, and to a lesser extent, @joen will be contributing feedback and ideas. We’ll also be communicating closely with the Page + Menu team as content blocks move into pages. @jenmylo has graciously agreed to advise this group. If you’re interested in getting involved, come by on Tuesday!