If you’re running trunk, you’ve probably noticed some new icons being tried on for size. There’s ticket #23333 on Trac for them, but it’s quickly becoming overwhelming and I’d like to give design-minded folks a chance to focus in on the icons themselves and discuss without as much distraction regarding the rest of the admin (see #23415, which absolutely goes hand-in-hand), SVG-vs-font-vs-plugins oh my, developer rabbit holes, etc. Trac just isn’t a great fit for some of the discussion, anyway.
I’m seeing a few focal points for discussion:
- Icons themselves, from a graphic design standpoint. What works, what doesn’t, what might make this style of icon “WordPress-y”, other things that I personally (as a non-designer) can’t prompt very well.
- What kind of treatment flat/vector-style icons need to really work in the WordPress admin, e.g. hover states, colors, etc. Size is also perhaps a part of this, although do keep in mind that we can play with the sizing and styling of other elements as well.
- What other icons we need beyond the admin menu – post formats is definitely one, and perhaps we can also start thinking of other places that could use icons as a part of the visual vocabulary.
Some helpful links from the 88 and counting comments on the ticket:
- The current icons in a 2x menu sprite, just to view on its own: https://core.trac.wordpress.org/attachment/ticket/23333/menu-2x.png
- The above icons as a font: http://bendunkle.com/wp-admin-icons/
- Another set of icons, including post formats, from @melchoyce: https://core.trac.wordpress.org/attachment/ticket/23333/icons-18-24-32.png