These are the weekly notes for the design meeting that happens on Wednesdays. You can read the full transcript on our Slack channel and find the meeting agenda here. You can join the Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel by following the instructions in our handbook.
Attendees: @estelaris, @chaion07, @manzwebdesigns, @paaljoachim, @ibdz, @karmatosed and Andrew Rulnick.
- We have an open call for note-takers and triage facilitators. These both are great ways to get involved for new contributors but everyone is welcome to help out. Let us know if you are interested in the comments.
- Contributions to the Design Team is always welcomed. Please ping The act of sending a very small amount of data to an end point. Ping is used in computer science to illicit a response from a target server to test it’s connection. Ping is also a term used by Slack users to @ someone or send them a direct message (DM). Users might say something along the lines of “Ping me when the meeting starts.” @estelaris or @chaion07 and they will guide you through.
Work is underway for WordPress 5.7 release. Read the p2 titled: WordPress 5.7 Planning Roundup on the #core blog. If you want to learn more about how the release process works then attending the dev chat in the #core channel would be a great idea which takes place at 6:00 AM UTC (for APAC) and at 8:00 PM UTC (for America).
- @estelaris is working on the design for the documentations section. Last year we finished the work on the reclassification of articles that will help us create a new navigation. She has a full plan to finish the new design by the end of the first Quarter of 2021.
- @ibdz will continue focusing on Iterating on Admin Color Schemes with #core-css.
- The team would like to congratulate @hedgefield for being the Design Lead for WordPress 5.7 release.
Discussion on ‘Productive Triage Session’
The team went through a few Github GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ issues and Trac Trac is the place where contributors create issues for bugs or feature requests much like GitHub.https://core.trac.wordpress.org/. Tickets in the most recent working session. A lot of us felt that the triage resulted in a productive session as we want to have more folks joining so that we can move more tickets. During the last session we’re able to move forward a few tickets and pass a few that was focused towards WordPress 5.7 to @hedgefield. Last year we tried to reduce the ‘meeting fatigue’ factor for contributors and tried to reshape the way design team communicates.