These are the weekly notes for the design meeting that happens on Wednesdays. You can read the full transcript on our Slack channel and find the meeting agenda here. You can join the Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel by following the instructions in our handbook.
First, Housekeeping. We can still use more volunteers for note-taking and triage leading. Leave a comment below if you’re interested.
Now, @michael-arestad brings Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ updates: The next Gutenberg release 8.5 to be released on the 6th of July will be the one included in WordPress 5.5.
- @itsjusteileen and @annezazu have been working on the #fse-outreach-experiment – It’s a great opportunity to get early regular feedback on our progress in FSE.
- There is an experiment to improve drag and drop shepherded by @joen that We’re particularly excited about.
- Reusable blocks are likely to get their own tab in the inserter
- @nrqsnchz and I are starting work on designs for creating a new template. Stay tuned!
Meeting Between Core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress.-CSS CSS is an acronym for cascading style sheets. This is what controls the design or look and feel of a site. and Design Team
- The Meeting is on Thursday 17:00 EDT in the #core-css channel; find your local time
- We will be chatting about Color Name Conventions, in specific colors.
- Some time is needed to get organized as far as categorizing colors/etc.
- Color naming convention is a huge item and we will continue discussing with the #core-css until we reach our goal.
The Trello Project management system using the concepts of boards and cards to organize tasks in a sane way. This is what the make.wordpress.com/marketing team uses for example: https://trello.com/b/8UGHVBu8/wp-marketing. board is an item brought up in discussion as the team would like to know if the process is still working to track design requests from other teams. For the moment, the team had no suggestions so we decided to keep it as is.
- @sageshilling is working on a reusable image block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience.. She will start a PR and bring it to the team for feedback.
- @noah is working with @ibdz on organizing the Figma libraries and asked for feedback on the document. If anyone needs access to Figma, send a PM to @estelaris. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vhj4uxXk6wn6L5i_R1F5GIu3OU3WzeE_0kTx89SWbI0/edit?pli=1#heading=h.d8dn9qwdokto
- @estelaris brought up the duration of core/meta Meta is a term that refers to the inside workings of a group. For us, this is the team that works on internal WordPress sites like WordCamp Central and Make WordPress. triage as an issue. The original meeting lasts only 30 minutes. This week, she ran core triage for a full hour and managed to cover 2 full tickets. She will write a P2 P2 or O2 is the term people use to refer to the Make WordPress blog. It can be found at https://make.wordpress.org/. on this to ask the design team members if anyone agrees to increase the time to a full hour.