These are the weekly notes for the design meeting that happens on Wednesdays. You can read the full transcript on our Slack channel and find the meeting agenda here. You can join the Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel by following the instructions in our handbook.
First, Housekeeping. We can still use more volunteers for note-taking and triage leading. Leave a comment below if you’re interested.
Now, WCEU 2020 Contributors Day Experience.
- We had between 20 and 30 new contributors at all time
- We had a lot of great comments about @michael-arestad ’s JAM
- Overall it was a success.
Meeting Between Core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress.-CSS CSS is an acronym for cascading style sheets. This is what controls the design or look and feel of a site. and Design Team
- The Meeting is on Thursday 17:00 EDT in the #core-css channel; find your local time
- We will be chatting about Name Conventions, in specific colors.
- Anyone interested is welcome to attend.
Next, @michael-arestad brings Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ updates
- 5.5 work is ramping up. If there is anything editor-specific you would like to see in 5.5, please let me know.
- @annezazu has been working on some documentation and wrangling proper feedback tools for the FSE outreach program. This will be a great program to get early feedback on the work we do.
New to Gutenberg:
- New design tools are coming to the next release of Gutenberg that include padding controls for the cover block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. and link color controls for paragraph blocks (and a few others).
- Blocks now get a nifty parent block selector courtesy of @shaunandrews
- Block categories in the inserter have been updated.
- @karmatosed is out on sabbatical and will be back on 1st September.
- The handbook pages were recently re-organized to be more coherent and there are a few pages that need to be written or revamped. Here is the link to the Trello Project management system using the concepts of boards and cards to organize tasks in a sane way. This is what the make.wordpress.com/marketing team uses for example: https://trello.com/b/8UGHVBu8/wp-marketing. Board https://trello.com/c/vtK848vz/167-new-handbook-pages-edit-and-iterate
- If you have any comments on the handbook pages or would like to collaborate with the design team, please leave a message in the comments or ping The act of sending a very small amount of data to an end point. Ping is used in computer science to illicit a response from a target server to test it’s connection. Ping is also a term used by Slack users to @ someone or send them a direct message (DM). Users might say something along the lines of “Ping me when the meeting starts.” @idbz or @estelaris on Slack
- Suggestions by @ibdz for adding new pages in Handbook:
- @ibdz further suggested considering Components Library for G2 design in Figma for discussion
- @michael-arestad finds the following sensible for Libraries: