We need more people to take notes so we can rotate on a schedule. @nrqsnchz and @estelaris offer to help, great!
@mapk brings gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ updates:
- An inner container for the group block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/15210 seems like a big improvement for theme devs. There is some conceptual hesitancy based around the fact that eventually the `entry-content` could be treated just like a “Group” block too. And in that case, there’s no container inside of `entry-content`, so there shouldn’t be one here too. But based on the way theme’s are made today, this makes sense. So we just need to sort it out one way or another. It’s just an empty div.
- Improved block drag and drop https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/15741
@melchoyce brings block directory updates:
@karmatosed wants to get a head start on the WCEU contributor day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/., starting with how we include those who won’t be there on the day.
- Maybe we run a few triages (or one) online and that could be open to anyone.
- We have roving reporters from groups focusing on work who collaborate into a post we then put on make/design.
- We as a group agree to not make decisions at WCEU but post summaries if one needs to happen and include async input.
The concensus is we are not convinced synced remote contribution would really work that well. If people feel left out perhaps there is a better way, like getting remotes to work on some specific task and have someone report on slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. the goings-on.
Making sure mentoring happens for new contributors that are on-site is important too. More discussion in the coming weeks.
@sarahmonster is taking point on reorganizing the Figma library. https://make.wordpress.org/design/2019/05/17/discussion-how-do-we-organise-figma-libraries/ Feedback is welcome.
- Shall we split the library into three?
- How should we name components?
- What about organising components?
- Who will moderate consistency (if anyone)?
Add comments to the post and we will discuss next week.