You can read the full transcript of this meeting on our Slack channel. You can also read the agenda for this week.
The first week in April this meeting moves like most .org meetings, ahead an hour.
Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/
Gutenberg 5.3 was released! Congrats to all the amazing work designers have been doing!
You can read more about it on the release post. It will also coincide with the release of WordPress 5.2. Some things to point out:
- Resizing the text and media columns in the Media & Text block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. is being discussed.
- For any CSS CSS is an acronym for cascading style sheets. This is what controls the design or look and feel of a site. gurus, @joen has been reorganizing stylesheets. You can see the Pull Requests.
- The Section block is going to get (or already has) some updates for inner block alignments. This is super tricky but @getdave @kjellr and others have been trucking away on it.
- There’s research sessions going on this week around the Navigation block. Please jump into the #research channel if you’re interested in helping out.
Feedback and reviews
The Improved Fatal Error Protection
The intention is to give users the ability to access their WordPress admin when a plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party or theme is causing a fatal error. We’ve been asked to give design feedback on:
- Crafting the email message itself and making sure the user understands what is going on
- Giving meaningful updates within the admin to help walk through problems
Feedback is welcome! Feel free to jump in and share your thoughts.
Site Health plugin design
The work has wound down. There has been an exploration of what the Gutenberg styling would look like in other areas of the admin. Further work is intended to explore what this could look like.
As an interesting note, the team chose 16px for the main font size with this plugin. Much of the WordPress admin uses 13px, but from an Accessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) perspective that seems to be pushing the limits of what’s reasonable.
As a site note, the team did a Contributor day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/. at Yoast last week, and it went well! The design table had 3 first-timers, and the team gave feedback on about 8 open issues, even one long-dead one about Gutenberg annotations.