There were several items this week that were not on the original agenda, so see the below notes and refer back to Slack
Design for page “Create a Website” on WordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/ on Design team
- there will be 2 versions of create a website — one longer and more involved and the other with a lot less copy
- cathibosco will be looking into this and how to reuse some of the ideas from her work for “Create a Blog“
#43028: Remove numbers before month in dropdown, it makes user confused when drowdown is not opened
- comment added: I can see how this could help for scanning and also accessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility). Are there any examples of how other sites do this we can lean on?
Calls for Design: follow-ups
Plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party icons are complete and @cathibosco is doing a review. Last steps:
- gather everything up and thank the contributors.
- Also where to send the final package? Ask in #meta Slack and update issue https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/596
Create a new trello Project management system using the concepts of boards and cards to organize tasks in a sane way. This is what the make.wordpress.com/marketing team uses for example: https://trello.com/b/8UGHVBu8/wp-marketing. card for the headers? Same way of working?
@estelaris wonders where to store the Training Team infographic native .ai file she recently finished
- Should be stored in their GitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ repo. That makes the most sense in this context.
Items labeled ready to review in the meeting
What will be the main focus for the next months for WordPress design?
- @karmatosed: I wanted to suggest we start each month/ few months focusing on an aspect that needs work. My suggestion is we start with on-boarding. Suggested homework
- give your feedback at in the shared doc
- Think of an idea for an onboarding project and bring it to next week’s meeting.
Improve Trello board organization on Design team
- Do we need this or can we close now? We can iterate later.
- Some agree, but as part of our onboarding/documentation, the info on the Trello board it shouldn’t be confusing for new people
- @boemedia: columns onboarding, handbook and outreach refer to the overview in the roadmap card in the team structure column
- For those of you that haven’t been we do triage at 16:30 UTC in this very channel. We focus through issues for just 1/2hr but it’s a great toe dip into contributing.
- @karmatosed is happy to train people up who feel ‘hmm leading triage is something I’d like to learn’.
Onboarding for tickets
- Many people are confused or intimidated by tickets in Trac Trac is the place where contributors create issues for bugs or feature requests much like GitHub.https://core.trac.wordpress.org/. or GitHub, especially those who are not developers.
- @karmatosed will be running a ‘non dev’ ticket onboarding session for trac and GitHub – covering Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ also.
- It will happen in the usual triage slot on Mon Aug 6, but note that it will be an hour long that day. Blog post announcement with details coming soon.