The next few weeks are going to see a lot of posts as those of us that went to the Community Summit and WordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Europe update you all. This is the first of many, this time focusing on the weekly meetings and way we keep up to date with each other.
During the summit communication and support were strong themes, along with how we can all work across teams, making design better for the entire project. A few decisions were made and we would like to try them. As with anything, we should consider this something that can be iterated on.
- Weekly meetings will cease to happen for now: over time attendance dropped on these. We tried a lot of methods but issues came from the time, format and nature of work we do. We all often have to attend meetings we focus on and meeting fatigue was an issue.
- Weekly individual update post: each week a post will be made asking for an update as a comment from all designers who want to contribute – we want everyone to. Our goal is to automate this, but at least for a few weeks this will be manual. This will be posted every Monday and more details on that today with a delayed first post. We will also encourage in this post anyone to bring up design issues that are needed help with.
- Weekly update post for design team: this post will come from the individual updates. These will be posted every Friday on the update blog, giving time for posts all week from people.
- Monthly hangouts: we will have subject focused hangouts each month. The details of there will be worked out, but they will be announced with enough time to get involved. The goal of there is to keep the momentum of the summit and allow support and cross team working.
- Weekly triage meetings of UI UI is an acronym for User Interface - the layout of the page the user interacts with. Think ‘how are they doing that’ and less about what they are doing./UX UX is an acronym for User Experience - the way the user uses the UI. Think ‘what they are doing’ and less about how they do it. feedback tag on trac Trac is the place where contributors create issues for bugs or feature requests much like GitHub.https://core.trac.wordpress.org/.: there will happen Mondays at 16:00 UTC, starting next week. @melchoyce and myself in #design on Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. will go through the queues. Everyone is welcome to join in, its a great way to learn about triage and also all areas of the project. We will begin with this being 30 minutes, but flexible to review that.
Wow that’s a lot we are going to do! The hope is this really gives options for people to join in. The #design on Slack is not going anywhere, you at any point can drop in there and ask for help or discuss design – please do!
As already mentioned, lets see this as an experiment and review in a few months.