This is the summary from the Design Chat on May 5 (Slack log)
Attendees: @zetaraffix, @afercia, @adamsilverstein, @ocean90, @michaelarestad, @eric, @johnragozzine, @frozzare, @rousseln, @mjcoop, @shramee, @voldemortensen, @andg, @aduth, @codeart, @tddewey, @mikehale, @macmanx, @katzwebservices, @ruknaree, @mgratch, @melchoyce, @arush, @beatstore, @ueli, @helen, @karmatosed, @danw33, @chriscamplejohn, @timothybjacobs, @eightbits, @paaljoachim
- The Shades of Gray project (ticket #35783)
@afercia shared the progress of this project, and explained how its objective is to reduce the number of grays used in wp-admin by merging hues close to each other, with accessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) in mind. I (@hugobaeta) explained that the WordPress Color Palette I have going on in codepen should evolve along with this project. It was suggested to use a tool like cssstats to generate the list of existing hues, and do a more visual mapping of these. I offered to work on this moving forward, since @afercia doesn’t have much time for it. the goal is to have a bit push on this for 4.6.
- Theme installer upload button improvements (ticket #35457)
@afercia explained briefly what the issue was and asked for help with feedback on this ticket.
- Revamp meta Meta is a term that refers to the inside workings of a group. For us, this is the team that works on internal WordPress sites like WordCamp Central and Make WordPress. boxes (ticket #36474)
One of the larger tickets for 4.6 needing design attention. @michaelarestad explains it’s part of a larger set of changes that will hopefully improve the publishing flow, and we need to solidify what we hope to gain from it. This ties into the “Improving Post New” list. It’s important to keep the discussion moving forward in the ticket.
- “Permalink Settings” admin page is largely blog/post specific (ticket #35796)
@eric asked for this ticket to be brought up in the chat. The ticket is specifically about the language used around the Permalink settings, but has evolved to a discussion about UI UI is an acronym for User Interface - the layout of the page the user interacts with. Think ‘how are they doing that’ and less about what they are doing.. It was agreed that this discussion should move to a new ticket about a redux to the whole Settings area. @michaelarestad offered to help with this. Him and @eric should touch base about this topic soon.
- The design of the focus outline on buttons/elements could be improved (Ticket #34904)
@michaelarestad brought this up during Open Discussion. He wants to commit it, but some concerns were raised about the styling. All feedback should be added to the ticket asap before it gets commited.
- Other tickets needing attention
- #34323 Make customizer Tool built into WordPress core that hooks into most modern themes. You can use it to preview and modify many of your site’s appearance settings. media control placeholders clickable
- #9777 add delete button to edit-tags.php
- #36175 Simplify the Customizer Image Control action buttons
- #34923 Introduce basic content authorship in the Customizer
Thanks to @zetaraffix for taking notes during the chat 🙂
Next meeting is on Thursday May 12, 17:00 UTC