We had another quite productive meeting about the UX UX is an acronym for User Experience - the way the user uses the UI. Think ‘what they are doing’ and less about how they do it./UI UI is an acronym for User Interface - the layout of the page the user interacts with. Think ‘how are they doing that’ and less about what they are doing. of the wireframes.
From the outset, it was clear that we all had come to similar conclusions about the direction to head in. There were a few areas of collision, but we reached consensus around these.
- We all agree that because there is UX precedent for the left hand toolbar, it is going to stay in the modal. However, we want to add icons to it, and allow it be collapsible down to the icons.
- To be a useful starting place for users, the actions in the left menu need to contextually filter Filters are one of the two types of Hooks https://codex.wordpress.org/Plugin_API/Hooks. They provide a way for functions to modify data of other functions. They are the counterpart to Actions. Unlike Actions, filters are meant to work in an isolated manner, and should never have side effects such as affecting global variables and output. the media library, i.e. clicking ‘Create Gallery’ should mean that only images are present in the library. In this way the left menu presents clear paths of selecting and interacting with specific kinds of media. We know this is a major decision, @mor10 will be writing about it separately in-depth towards the end of the week.
- The right panel should initially always allow for editing of image metadata, using the upper right arrow navigation to allow for paging through different image metadata.
- In the Edit Mode the toolbar occupies the right panel with the options for each tool displaying below the toolbar in the same panel. The initial state of the edit mode is the metadata ‘info’ tool.
- In lieu of the media thumbnail panel after media has been selected, a ‘Selected’ tab should appear in the media grid view to allow for quick reference of what media a user is working with.
Other than these issues, the concepts from the last meeting all bear out in the wireframes and have been included. @pabloperea is going to lead the push for unified wireframes for Fridays meeting. We will be using Invision (http://invisionapp.com) to collaborate and finalize this set.
You can watch the entire meeting here:
Great work to all involved!