Hi! It’s been a few weeks since we added our initial brief.
What is it?
Press This is a redesign with a focus on automation and speed.
- We now have an alpha public release available for testing. We plan on pushing nightly soon. Beware: there be dragons.
- Design elements are starting to fall in place. We are still iterating on placement and behavior of WYSIWYG, modal pop-out, embeds, settings, and Add Media.
- More screenshots
- Currently AJAX driven, but ready to be switched to using the WP-API endpoints as they become available
- Is backward compatible with the current version of the Press This bookmarklet as bundled in WP, but also bring its own, more powerful one with it
- Can blog any web page found online, blockquoting an excerpt, including a selection of in-page images to choose from. Said images are augmented with meta data to sort them in the order the site advertises to be best
- Overrides /wp-admin/press-this.php and its behavior, so that we’re 100% backward compatible
- Overrides the bookmarklet JS code provided in /wp-admin/tools.php
- Quick featured image switching
- Saving draft and publishing
- Image side-loading
- 3 modes
Direct access: quick post of sort, more to come with media and formatting tools
Modal: when accessed via new bookmarklet code: will show in an iframe within the visited page itself
Popup: if the currently visited page is SSL but the target install is not, we open Press This in a popup instead. We also do that if the”legacy” bookmarklet code is used. It’s pretty awesome for pressing from your sweet smartphone.
- Formatting and media upload tools (+editor)
- De-selecting a picture (if none wanted)
- Add header
- Add minimal WYSIWYG for tablet and larger
- Add Add Media functionality
- Add SVG icons 8)
- Explore various installation flows
Ultra alpha installation instructions.
Help us make this thing amazing! Feedback and Pull Requests welcome!
Discussion: corepressthis.wordpress.com | Chat: Skype | Weekly Meeting: Wed. 16:00 UTC in #wordpress-ui