Accomplished this week
1) I updated our planning spreadsheet.
2) We held our weekly IRC chat last Tuesday. @joen shared:
Along with the following thoughts:
- Far right column is for mini widgets. The added whitespace adds balance, centers the middle columns. Is reminiscent of the “Publish” box on the Write section.
- We pulled back on the ambitions of the activity stream (for 3.8). We still have high hopes of filling out the activity stream with valuable information in a later release.
- Hooks In WordPress theme and development, hooks are functions that can be applied to an action or a Filter in WordPress. Actions are functions performed when a certain event occurs in WordPress. Filters allow you to modify certain functions. Arguments used to hook both filters and actions look the same. would be added to the top, middle, and bottom of the activity stream to make it immediately pluggable.
This mockup solicited the following feedback:
- Maybe play with a splash of color?
- Maybe try light or regular font-weight for the big header The header of your site is typically the first thing people will experience. The masthead or header art located across the top of your page is part of the look and feel of your website. It can influence a visitor’s opinion about your content and you/ your organization’s brand. It may also look different on different screen sizes. at the top?
- Let’s experiment with rotating through different languages/idioms for the header text: aloha, Bienvenido, etc…
- How about “Site Content” instead of “Right Now”?
- Can we remove the # of widgets in “Site Content” area?
- Maybe try one header area with “Recent Activity”, and two sub areas with sub headers, “Publishing Soon”, and “Recent Comments”?
3) Joen shared the following mockup in our Skype chat:
4) I uploaded an updated combined news feed patch. Please test this patch out if you have time, or dive in for a code review.
5) I riffed off of Joen’s latest mockup, and came up with: