Accomplished this week
1) We held our weekly IRC chat last Tuesday, and @joen shared the following:
He also shared a whittled down version of the current “Right Now” widget A WordPress Widget is a small block that performs a specific function. You can add these widgets in sidebars also known as widget-ready areas on your web page. WordPress widgets were originally created to provide a simple and easy-to-use way of giving design and structure control of the WordPress theme to the user. which looks like this:
These mockups solicited the following feedback:
- Can we merge the “3 new comments since your last visit” and “recent comments” sections?
- Under QuickDraft, let’s just start by showing the title. On keyup, the other elements will slide down.
- Unclear what the three dots mean in the vertical divider (they’re drag handles). We’ll keep working on it.
- Can we add the plugins widget into the new combined “News” widget somehow?
- Note that multisite Multisite is a WordPress feature which allows users to create a network of sites on a single WordPress installation. Available since WordPress version 3.0, Multisite is a continuation of WPMU or WordPress Multiuser project. WordPress MultiUser project was discontinued and its features were included into WordPress core.https://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network. hides the plugins widget. Something to keep in mind as we refactor these.
2) Joen worked up 2 additional mockups:
3) In our Skype chat we brought up 2 additional things to think about:
- What doe the activity feed look like when a user first installs WP? When there isn’t any updates, scheduled posts, or comments?
- Where does the welcome screen fit into all of this?
We need your help
- We need developers. We’re ready to start building some of this out. But we need some core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. developers to join our ranks. If you have any interest, please leave a note in the comments.
- Feedback on anything above is much appreciated.
We’ll hold another IRC chat this coming Tuesday at Tuesday, September 17th, 2:00pm UTC in #wordpress-ui.