This post is a summary of the latest weekly Media component meeting, which took place in #core-media on Slack, on March 2, 2017 19:00 UTC. The purpose of these meetings are to move priority tasks forward, provide feedback on issues of interest, and review media focused tickets on Trac An open source project by Edgewall Software that serves as a bug tracker and project management tool for WordPress..
Attendees: @joemcgill, @sergeybiryukov, @blobfolio, @adamsilverstein, @mikeschroder, @melchoyce, @karmatosed, @desrosj, @azaozz.
Prioritizing 4.8 tickets
With all Media tickets for 4.7.3 clear, we spent this meeting looking forward at our priorities for 4.8, which already included 12 tickets at the time of the meeting. With the focus for 4.8 being on the editor, customization, and the REST API The REST API is an acronym for the RESTful Application Program Interface (API) that uses HTTP requests to GET, PUT, POST and DELETE data. It is how the front end of an application (think “phone app” or “website”) can communicate with the data store (think “database” or “file system”) https://developer.wordpress.org/rest-api/., we discussed additional tickets that contribute to the goals of those projects or which may prepare for future enhancements in those areas. Here are a list of tickets mentioned during the meeting:
- #39647: Make media upload “HTTP HTTP is an acronym for Hyper Text Transfer Protocol. HTTP is the underlying protocol used by the World Wide Web and this protocol defines how messages are formatted and transmitted, and what actions Web servers and browsers should take in response to various commands. error.” more user-helpful
- #15311 and #21295: Which are related to the previous ticket Created for both bug reports and feature development on the bug tracker., in that decoupling the intermediate size generation from the upload process will probably be necessary.
- #36191, #36442, and #21455: all relate to improving responsive/retina image support in the customizer Tool built into WordPress core that hooks into most modern themes. You can use it to preview and modify many of your site’s appearance settings..
- #39993, #39994, and #39995: Splitting the media widget project into three separate widgets for image, video, and audio. @melchoyce mentioned that image is the priority.
- #36581: Customizer Header The header of your site is typically the first thing people will experience. The masthead or header art located across the top of your page is part of the look and feel of your website. It can influence a visitor’s opinion about your content and you/ your organization’s brand. It may also look different on different screen sizes. Image Control should extend the cropped image control
- #21819: Use an image size for custom headers instead of duplicating an attachment
- #37840: Optimize full size images
- #24251: Reconsider SVG inclusion to `get_allowed_mime_types` – @blobfolio and @enshrined have renewed interest in working on this. If you’re interested, take a look at this repo and provide testing/feedback.
- #39963: MIME Alias Handling
- #39883: Code hooking on `image_downsize` can no longer assume the file is an image (related: #39980). This one is a priority for the next minor release A set of releases or versions having the same minor version number may be collectively referred to as .x , for example version 5.2.x to refer to versions 5.2, 5.2.1, 5.2.3, and all other versions in the 5.2 (five dot two) branch of that software. Minor Releases often make improvements to existing features and functionality..
In the upcoming weeks, we plan to prioritize these and assign ownership to contributors in order to help people focus efforts and to help new contributors know where to get involved. This list is large, so if you’re interested in helping out, please feel free to jump in on the tickets themselves, ping The act of sending a very small amount of data to an end point. Ping is used in computer science to illicit a response from a target server to test it’s connection. Ping is also a term used by Slack users to @ someone or send them a direct message (DM). Users might say something along the lines of “Ping me when the meeting starts.” in #core-media, or leave a comment below.
If there is something you feel should be prioritized that is not included on this list or already on the 4.8 milestone, please leave a comment on this post or bring it up in the #core-media channel on Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/.. As always, important bug A bug is an error or unexpected result. Performance improvements, code optimization, and are considered enhancements, not defects. After feature freeze, only bugs are dealt with, with regressions (adverse changes from the previous version) being the highest priority. fixes will be considered as they are presented.
Due to conference travel, we’ll be skipping next week’s meeting, with the next one scheduled for March 16, 2017 19:00 UTC.
#core-media, #media, #weekly-update