Dev Chat Summary: August 9th (4.9 week 2)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from August 9th (agendaSlack archive).

4.8.1 release feedback

  • Forums team hasn’t had to update the “4.8 Master List” post with any problems, a relatively smooth release altogether
  • No concerns identified that would require a subsequent immediate minor release

4.9 goals

  • @melchoyce and @westonruter have assembled a list 4.9 goals
  • @kadamwhite would like to see movement on REST API backlog tickets, specifically meta registration for object subtypes (#38323) and media permissions (#41445)
  • REST API roadmap document still being assembled, but not yet published
  • “Updating a plugin or theme via a ZIP file” and “drag and drop uploading of themes and plugins” are going to need support from contributors to the Upgrade/Install component
  • If you have interest in helping maintain the Upgrade/Install component (or any others) please reach out to @drewapicture

General announcements

#4-8, #4-8-1, #4-9, #dev-chat, #summary, #translation

Dev Chat Summary: August 2nd (4.9 week 1)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from August 2nd (agendaSlack archive).

4.8.1 RC2 feedback & planned release post-devchat

  • 4.8.1 includes fixes for the text widget, delayed yesterday due to performance issues identified
  • 4.8.1RC2 on WordPress.com stable, no longer experiencing the performance issues
  • No noticeable feedback in the forums regarding the text widget changes, Trac has been quiet in the widgets component
  • #41373 reported against 4.8, doesn’t seem to be a new regression introduced by 4.8.1 or a blocker
  • No concerns with the plan to release 4.8.1 after devchat

4.9 kickoff

  • 4.9 release schedule page is available, with particular highlights:
    • WordPress 4.9 will be the second “major” release of 2017 with the theme of editing code, managing plugins and themes, a user-centric way to customize a site, and polishing some recently added features over this last year.
    • October 4, 2017 is Beta 1 and feature project merge deadline.
    • October 30, 2017 is Release candidate and soft string freeze.
    • November 14, 2017 is 🎶 Target date for release of WordPress 4.9. 🎶
    • @melchoyce and @westonruter are co-Release Leads. 🎉
  • Updated set of goals for the 4.9 release and updates to the stale Customize component page coming soon (but first, release 4.8.1)

Editor / Gutenberg updates

Call for Component Maintainers

  • @drewapicture completed annual audit of Component Maintainers, some areas where new maintainers could be useful
  • The list on Make/Core reflects the most current list of maintainers
  • Please reach out if you’re interested in becoming a component maintainer

General announcements

  • @jorbin: submissions open for Kim Parsell Memorial Scholarship for WordCamp US
    • WordPress Foundation gives out a scholarship that covers the cost of hotel, transportation and a ticket for WordCamp US
    • Must be: person who self-identifies as female, active contributor to WordPress via a contributor team or a local meetup or WordCamp organizer, has financial need, and has never attended WordCamp US
    • No age limit on this scholarship, though older women are especially encouraged to apply
    • If you fit the requirements, please apply. If you know someone that qualifies, please encourage them to apply.

#4-8, #4-8-1, #4-9, #components, #core-editor, #core-restapi, #dev-chat, #gutenberg, #maintainership, #summary, #wordcamp

Dev Chat Summary: July 26th (4.8.1 week 6)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from July 26th (agendaSlack archive).

4.8.1 RC feedback & release timing

  • No issues on the widgets front
  • Those who reported breakage from 4.8 widget changes and have tested RC have said the fixes work
  • @westonruter to write a dev note
  • @westonruter and @obenland to work on 4.8.1 release on Tuesday, August 1st as per previous plan
  • @obenland to work with @pento or @azaozz on walk thru for releasing a minor version
  • Post-4.8.1 release action item: get more committers access & training on releasing / Mission Control

Editor / Gutenberg media intricacies

  • Last Fridays’ release of 0.6 slipped due to vacations, working to push it out as soon as feasible
  • Several media intricacies that could use help / discussion, especially Issue#1986
  • 100 PRs open that could use help in reviewing/testing
  • Gutenberg part of weekly agenda of #core-media meeting (Thursdays at 18:00 UTC)

General announcements

#4-8, #4-8-1, #core-editor, #dev-chat, #gutenberg, #summary

Dev Chat Summary: July 19th (4.8.1 week 5)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from July 19th (agendaSlack archive).

4.8.1 schedule

  • Access to Mission Control was lacking and delayed 4.8.1 beta release
  • Working to commit #40974, #38964, #40794 for 4.8.1 beta
  • Final planned bug scrub is Thursday, July 20th 16:00 UTC / Thursday, July 20th 16:00 UTC
  • Bug scrub will be focused on punting anything not headed towards a commit by Friday
  • If tickets in milestone drops to zero, we will continue with the planned 4.8.1 schedule:
    • RC – Monday, July 24th (hard string freeze)
    • Launch – Tuesday, August 1st

General announcements

#4-8, #4-8-1, #dev-chat, #summary

Dev Chat Summary: July 12th (4.8.1 week 4)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from July 12th (agendaSlack archive).

4.8.1 planning

  • @westonruter to commit #40951: Add legacy mode to Text widget to trunk, all trunk commits need to be merged into the 4.8 branch
  • Custom HTML widget needs to be amended to an existing file to be part of the minor release, agreement to utilize wp-includes/default-widgets.php solely for the benefit of 4.8.x
  • Testing, especially #40907 and #40951 (testing steps)
  • Beta – Monday, July 17th (soft string freeze, translations begin on about a dozen strings)
  • RC – Monday, July 24th (hard string freeze)
  • Launch – Tuesday, August 1st (🎉)

Editor / Gutenberg

General announcements

#4-8, #4-8-1, #core, #core-editor, #dev-chat, #feature-plugins, #summary, #widgets

Dev Chat Summary: July 5th (4.8.1 week 3)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from July 5th (agendaSlack archive).

4.8.1 planning

  • #40907 is committed to trunk, but needs user testing
  • #40951 has a good patch, but not committed yet and needs user testing
    • Main holdup is the best use of pointers (or another notice mechanism) to inform users to use the Custom HTML widget going forward for adding arbitrary HTML
    • Another possible use of pointers is when a user pastes HTML into TinyMCE, to correct years of pasting into the Text widget’s textarea
  • Aiming to make a 4.8.1-alpha release build to make it easier for those testing, will also note testing steps on respective tickets
  • Will schedule bug scrubs next week & post those times separately to Make/Core

REST API: image permissions model

Editor

General announcements

#4-8, #4-8-1, #core, #core-editor, #core-restapi, #dev-chat, #summary

Dev Chat Summary: June 28th (4.8.1 week 2)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from June 28th (agendaSlack archive).

4.9 ideas

4.8.1 planning

  • #40951 & #40907 will be core to the 4.8.1 release being targeted around the last week of July
  • General bug scrub to be scheduled after the 4th of July holiday on the 4.8.1 milestone
  • Component maintainers please review your 4.8.1 milestone and punt to Future Release / 4.9 as necessary
  • Reminder that we are “approaching 4.8.1 tickets as more traditional regression types of issues”

Editor update

Customize update

  • appreciate more people testing 40951.3.diff
  • also appreciate testing of the HTML widget in trunk (see #40907)

REST API update

  • had a lot of new docs contributions at WCEU contributions day
  • have some momentum and hope to build upon it in coming weeks

Dev chat coordination

  • @jbpaul17 looking for 1-2 others out there to help run the weekly dev chats similar to how the Core Weekly Updates are split up
  • A great way for product/project management or otherwise non-engineers to help contribute to WordPress Core
  • Please ping @jbpaul17 if you have interest in helping out!

New contributor bug scrub/open office hours

  • idea is a weekly bug scrub/open office hours focused on new contributors
  • would include tickets tagged good-first-bug and any tickets new contributors wanted to work on
  • Likely to schedule for Wednesdays at 19:00 UTC
  • @adamsilverstein, @welcher, @stevenkword, & @flixos90 to help run the meetings
  • Please ping @adamsilverstein if you have interest in volunteering as well

General announcements

  • @m1tk00: looking for help with the Gallery Widget in the Customizer regarding the edit button
    • need to know how to send the already selected ID’s, when someone wants to edit the gallery
    • will ping @obenland or @timmyc in #core-customize for help
  • @enricosorcinelli: #21676 patched and awaiting review, how to get it more attention?
    • added needs-testing to the ticket, will ping @obenland as Themes component maintainer to review
  • @pbiron: would like to start a “feature plugin” project to work on rewriting the exporter
    • would like to rework ALL of the XML related code in core (e.g., using XMLWriter instead of echo statements, etc)
    • using XMLWriter and with some pretty drastic changes to the WXR markup
    • should be putting the 1st version up on GitHub in few days
    • also written an XML Schema for WXR 1.2
    • will add the feature proposal as a comment to the 4.9 wishlist on last week’s dev chat summary
  • @flixos90: thinking about ways to improve Trac workflow
    • wondering whether it would be possible to automatically set a has-patch keyword once a patch is uploaded?
    • It’s a bad experience for new contributors to search through tickets without a patch, but finding ones that already have one
    • will drop by #meta-tracdev to continue the conversation
  • @jnylen0@enricosorcinelli working on #39732 and #39730
    • 39732 is a sanity improvement and a follow-up to work done around 4.7 in the API, should land soon for 4.9, but it would be good to get more eyes on it especially someone who has worked on comments before
    • 39730 may as well land at or around the same time as the above
  • @welcher: would love some eyes on Load word-count and do not allow our wp-utils script to clobber it

#4-8, #4-8-1, #4-9, #core, #core-editor, #core-restapi, #dev-chat, #summary

Dev Chat Summary: June 21st (4.8.1 week 1)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from June 21st (agendaSlack archive).

4.9 ideas and brainstorm

  • No immediate 4.9 timeframe, but the planned timing for 4.9 will come shortly after we confirm the major focuses of 4.9 and will be closer to 3 months than 9 months in duration
  • @jorbin: Scheduled customizer changesets going live could be a big win
  • @westonruter: adding statuses for changesets: being able to draft a changeset to come back to later, and then to be able to schedule it to go live.
  • @youknowriad: We have some REST API needs in Gutenberg:
    • Retrieving The permalink using the API (making more things available from wp-json/wp/v2/settings)
    • An API endpoint to save/get random settings (we’d use it to save some layout options)
  • @androb: Expanding link boundary behavior in TinyMCE to other inline elements
  • @androb: TinyMCE has a new mobile-optimized UX that will also result in a responsive toolbar, this should land in the 4.9 time frame
  • @androd: tweak the TinyMCE UI to be closer to Gutenberg (e.g. toolbar color, default font) to get users used to the Gutenberg UI before releasing that in WordPress 5.0
  • @saracannon: look at customizer revisions in a way that we might want to look at Gutenberg revisions in the future from a visual standpoint and start making progress there (@melchoyce: see mockup for customizer revisions on #21666)
  • @melchoyce: code editing improvements across core — CSS editing, the plugin/theme code editor, etc. Making it better to use and harder to mess up and break your site (see #31779)
    • @clorith: As soon as we do this, we need to handle the issue of lacking forked plugins, lacking child theming etc
    • @westonruter: add a warning to encourage people to be aware of the dangers of editing code without version control (see #41078)
  • @melchoyce: evisions for everything – Customizer revisions, page/post revisions, code editor revisions…
  • @hugobaeta: reduce the amount of declared colors (namely shades of gray) in the admin, more info on codepen and a little backstory on this flash talk at WCUS last year
  • @melchoyce: some in-progress tickets for improving theme switching: #39692, #39693
  • @melchoyce: also Customizer menu improvement – #40104
  • @melchoyce: automated testing in place for theme switching (@netweb to work on this)
  • @melchoyce: making “page on front” less confusing (again)
    • @westonruter: harmonizing with menus and page hierarchies. Merging those concepts together
  • @melchoyce: finish the gallery widget (@m1tk00 to work on this)

4.8.1 agenda

  • @westonruter: resolve text widget removing code issue (see #40951) alongside implementing HTML code widget (see #40907), three options proposed, one recommended
  • a11y bug-scrub will happen next Monday, will focus on 4.8.1 milestoned tickets
  • approaching 4.8.1 tickets as more traditional regression types of issues
  • Tentative timeline for 4.8.1 last week of July

#4-8, #4-8-1, #4-9, #core, #dev-chat, #summary

Dev Chat Summary: June 7th (4.8 week 6)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from June 7th (agendaSlack archive).

4.8 timing recap and Pre-Final Release & Dry Run checklist items

  • Beta 1 went out on Friday, May 12th; Beta 2 went out on Monday, May 22nd
  • RC1 went out on Thursday, May 25th; RC2 went out on Thursday, June 1st
  • 4.8 is scheduled for June 1, 2017 at 9am EDT
  • Events widget looks ready
  • Credits API to be updated by @ocean90 tomorrow morning
  • About page update for responsive, CDN-hosted images coming from @melchoyce
  • Announcement post draft is ready to go; @jorbin & @ocean90 to help provide contributor & language count as input
  • Announcement email being drafted by @matt
  • Codex page to be updated by @jbpaul17
  • Agreed to remove “partial back to IE8” from Browser support page in Design handbook
  • tinymce/plugins/wpembed to be added to $_old_files by @ocean90
  • No new default theme, so $_new_bundled_files is fine
  • Updates to default themes and submission to repo to be done by @davidakennedy, committed by @ocean90
  • Hosts email to be drafted by @jbpaul17, email to be reviewed & sent by @jorbin
  • Systems to be covered by @vnsavage
  • grunt prerelease check for tests & standards to be run by @jorbin

4.8 Bug Scrub

  • Reviewing four tickets in Defects Awaiting Review, reported against trunk section from Report 40
  • #40929: relates to improved translator docs, punting to next minor release (4.8.1)
  • #40932: moved to Future Release
  • #40927: not a regression, moved to Future Release
  • #40906: marked as a dupe of #40685, not a blocker for 4.8

Other News

  • Customize: looking for a new contributor to work on the HTML/Code widget, a good-first-bug, please chat in #core-customize if you’re interested
  • Editor: working to get the plugin in the plugin repo so that more people can review it and provide feedback. Goal is this week.
  • Devchat coordination: will be covered in upcoming devchat

#4-8, #core, #core-editor, #dev-chat, #summary

Dev Chat Summary: May 31st (4.8 week 5)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from May 31st (agendaSlack archive).

4.8 Timing

  • Beta 1 went out on Friday, May 12th; Beta 2 went out on Monday, May 22nd; RC1 went out on Thursday, May 25th
  • RC2 is scheduled for Thursday, June 1st
  • With RC2 we’re aiming for a hard string freeze so that translators can complete all the new strings in 4.8
  • Should things continue to go to plan, 4.8 release would be next Thursday, June 8th

4.8 Bug Scrub

  • Currently at 4 tickets in the milestone, goal is to get to 0 by RC2
  • #39822 has ongoing commits to improve Build/Test Tools in relationship to PHPUnit 6
  • #40893 is a bug that used to be caused by themes, but now there is a notice in the UI about it [Note: since committed and closed]
  • The TinyMCE-extended Text widget provides a suboptimal UX for users who have been accustomed to pasting in 3rd-party JavaScript code (widgets) into the Text widget
    • Relates to #2833
    • Considerations considered include code, documentation, and/or UI updates to improve the UX
    • Suboptimal UX includes three separate but related issues:
      • 1) Extra whitespace from content pasted in
      • 2) HTML being encoded after it is pasted in
      • 3) line breaks in JS causing the JS to break due to new <p>
    • #1 & 2 are likely best solved with documentation and some outreach
    • #3 appears to be the most severe, but also the biggest edge case
    • Proposal:
      • 1) In the very short term, create documentation to help 3rd parties (e.g. MailChimp, Infusionsoft) and utilize people with a wide and respected reach to do some outreach with that documentation
      • 2) For 4.8.0, don’t make any code related changes
      • 3) Continue looking into this and exploring what we could change for 4.8.1
    • Note the TinyMCE Text Widget post has been amended to note the need to remove extraneous line breaks, especially when pasting in script snippets
    • If you’re able to help with documentation or outreach on this, please call out in #core.
  • #40865 has patch, needs review for commit in 4.8/punt to 4.8.1
  • #40721 committing final strings tonight, only hours remain for feedback

4.8 Dev Notes / Field Guide

  • Many thanks to all writing, reviewing, and otherwise contributing to getting all the dev notes published recently!
  • Also 🙌 to @pbiron & @desrosj for their help getting the field guide published alongside RC1

Other News

#4-8, #dev-chat, #summary