Editor chat summary: Wednesday, 27 November 2019

This post summarizes the weekly editor chat meeting on Wednesday, 27 November 2019, 14:00 WET held in Slack.

Gutenberg 7.0

Gutenberg 7.0 was released. It brings the navigation block out of the experimental state. The release was possible thanks to the efforts of 51 contributors. More details about this release can be checked on the release post.

Weekly Priorities

November priorities post: https://make.wordpress.org/core/2019/10/29/whats-next-in-gutenberg-november/

The priorities should remain pretty stable I think: Block Content Areas, Nesting Selection Tool, Navigation block will continue to be improved based on feedback. Gradients are almost “finished” and we may start thinking about improvements to the block interface based on this great issue https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/18667.

@youknowriad

Task Coordination

@youknowriad

Worked on PR’s Edit/Navigation ToolFixed Toolbar on mobile, and Add a header menu to switch between edit and select tool. Hopes to continue a trend of 50% reviews and triage and 50% code.

@jorgefilipecosta

Gave support on the forums, triaged issues, rebased and updated some PR’s, submitted and merged several bug fixes, and worked on a PR that may increase the performance of the editor by caching styles https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/18763.

On the next week: 

  • Plans to review and help some media-related PR’s, namely the refactor to the gallery, to increase reusability with the native mobile APP. 
  • Wants to finish the remove editor module usages in block-editor by applying changes to the reusable blocks and rich-text. 
  • Update the release tool to move readme and changelog files to the Github repository.

@noisysocks

Finished the work on adding a welcome guide modal, which is now ready for review.

Intends to spend the rest of this week playing with wordpress/env, seeing if we can deprecate local-env, and writing docs for this all.

@retrofox

Helped to finish the first approach of the Navigation block. Emphasize this comment: Navigation block will continue to be improved based on feedback.

@karmatosed

Contributed to the following tasks:

Is looking at iterations for navigation, going through design feedback in Tightening Up board, and seeing what needs work or is blocked, and is working on docs for the triage team.

@mapk 

 Worked on some reviews and triage, namely the NUX modal PR for @noisysocks.

@paaljoachim

Looked closer at this issue https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/17640#issuecomment-556866662. Might need to create a new issue to bring a better focus on what he brought up.

@gziolo

Attended WordCamp Łódź, helped people on forums, worked on some triage based on reports from people. This week will resume the work on Block Patterns API.

@bph

Working on End User Documentation and connected with @melchoyce on her project to replacing gifs with videos.

Open floor

@scruffian brought the topic of how we handle Full Site Editing blocks for non-admin users.

@youknowriad referred the precedent we have in media blocks to allow/disallow features based on user capabilities, and @noisysocks referred the API we have to query user permissions.

@scruffian shared some questions he had on his mind:

  • Is the API change I suggested in https://github.com/WordPress/wordpress-develop/pull/120 sensible? 
  • I see a change in the block itself in the PR not the API and it seems reasonable.
  • How does the design of the block change when a non-admin see it – does it need a special treatment?
  • This is probably a per-block problem as you might have access to some features in the block but not everything (think alignment of a site title block)

For the API change question, @youknowriad answered, he sees a change in the block itself in the PR, not the API, and that the change seems reasonable. For the block design question, @youknowriad answered that this is probably a per-block problem as one might have access to some features in the block but not everything.

@mrMark asked the use case Navigation Block and if it is intended to replace the menu system eventually. @youknowriad said that replacing the menu system may be a possibility but not until we allow editing the full templates in Gutenberg.

As a follow-up question @mrMark asked:

As the Block Editor encroaches onto the realm of what themes would normally handle, ie presentation layer, what’s the plan for integration between the Block editor and themes?

And then @mrMark referred that the Next Generation of Themes and how they integrate with the Block Editor should start being conceptualized.

@youknowriad referred that this is a big topic and ongoing work that can be followed on https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/labels/%5BFeature%5D%20Full%20Site%20Editing. @youknowriad is also happy to answer any specific questions, and this topic will be part of the next week’s meeting. So in case, this is something that interests you, please join us and share your insights!

#core-editor, #editor-chat, #meeting, #summary

Core Editor Summary for November 20

This post summarises the weekly editor chat meeting (agenda), held on Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 14:00 UTC in core-editor Slack channel.

Weekly Priorities

Slack transcript.

See November Priorities post. Good to focus on these things as the month wraps to an end and start thinking on next steps.

  • Block Content Areas: expected to still be a focus for a while.
  • Navigation block (board): is close to get out of the experimental phase into the plugin.
  • Tightening up (board):
    • Polish to blocks and different parts of the UI is continuing.
    • Gradients are coming along nicely.
    • Some progress is being made to the Block Selection Tools.
    • Add color to specific text inside RichText (16014) is blocked by 17617 It’d be good to unblock those.

Triage role for GitHub

Slack Transcript.

GitHub has recently created a few new roles with more fine-grained permissions. One of those is the Triage Role that enables people to manage issues and pull request, and well as other actions. There was a consensus that this new role could help onboard new contributors and less technical folks who are not part of the Gutenberg group already.

Tasks:

If you’re interested in joining the Triage group, please, leave a comment in the agenda or the GitHub issue.

Task Coordination

Slack Transcript.

If you’re reading this asynchronously, please, add your notes as comments.

Open Floor

Slack Transcript.

Welcome feedback on this exploration of hover/selection states for Full Site Editing concepts by @shaunandrews

Request For Comments experiment. A few months ago Gutenberg started doing a RFC for major features following this post. @youknowriad noted that it didn’t get as much traction as expected. Many agreed. To close this experiment and the open RFCs is being considered.

If you have any feedback about the RFC experiment, please, comment on this post or reach out to people involved. Feedback channels will be opened until next week when a decission will be made.

#core-editor, #editor-chat, #summary

Core editor chat summary November 13th, 2019

This post summarises the weekly editor chat meeting, agenda here, held on Wednesday, November 13th 2019, 13:00UTC in Slack, moderated by @jorgefilipecosta, notetaker: @andraganescu

Next week’s Core editor chat time: 14 UTC

Because of DST there was a decision to move the meeting one hour later. The async discussion is still open until Monday, November 18th to decide if people, other than those present at he core editor chat want it differently.

WordPress 5.3 was released yesterday

@youknowriad: Big kudos to all the contributors. It’s a huge release for the block editor

@jorgefilipecosta I would like to thank all the people that contributed and made all this improvements and bug fixes possible!!

There is some current effort to iron out issues that may appear.

Gutenberg 6.9 will be released today

A Release Candidate is already available at https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/releases/tag/v6.9.0-rc.1

@aduth and @ella are working on that (release post and performing the release)

Weekly priorities

The main priorities are the same ones highlighted in the November post What’s next in Gutenberg? (November) – Make WordPress Core

Also, one of the priorities is to fix WordPress 5.3 regressions as they come up.

Task coordination

@youknowriad

  • I was AFK for some days post WCUS
  • I worked on the WordPress 5.3 release a little bit
  • I’ll be focusing on support, triage and reviews for the next week.

@karmatosed

  • Navigation block: styling, reviews and testing
  • Triage: I want to dig in a bit and try and clear down low hanging tasks
  • Begin working out sprints for Tightening Up board. I have an idea to for 1-2 weeks focus on an area, move on and repeat.
  • Support is for me next week so last point won’t happen until week after.

@retrofox

@getdave

  • I’ve been focused mainly on Nav Block related PRs.
  • In particular, I’d draw attention to this one I created to allow parent Blocks to “consume” the toolbar of their children via InnerBlocks https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/18440

@pbrocks

@michaelarestad

  • starting in on full site editing – largely research/information gathering at this point

@mapk

  • Helped review some of the Nav block work.
  • Worked on the Media replace flow.
  • Reviewed linking media in Media+Text block.
  • Helped @michaelarestad with some full site editing research.

@andraganescu

  • continued on the navigation block
  • need a code review on the media replace control here: https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/16200

@nerrad

@jorgefilipecosta

  • I finished a big refactor for the legacy widgets, made some improvements on the custom gradient picker, worked on some PR reviews, continue the work around having configurable inner block settings to allow a parent block to absorve the child, and continued the iterations on some PR’s I had open.
  • For the next week, I’m hoping to merge the simulated media queries mechanism; I want to get involved again in the navigation block work, so I hope to do many reviews there and maybe pick up some tasks, besides that I will continue the buttons block and innerblocks UI work.

@tellthemachines

  • For task coordination: I’ve mostly been reviewing nav-related PRs this week and will be away from the 14th to the 24th November. (In case anyone wonders why I’ve gone strangely silent :D)

@noisysocks

  • I’m still looking at nav-related PRs and working on the Welcome Guide as time permits.

@gziolo

@youknowriad highlighted the new Storybook available at: https://wordpress.github.io/gutenberg/

It is also important to note for people reading this async: it is possible to participate on the task coordination by commenting on the agenda.

Open floor

  • Embedding Multilingual ability as standard core functionality: seems a bit early for implementation but it’s definitely being considered.

Let’s review more PRs!

Just a note to everyone. Do please also spend a little time going through older PR’s. As there are many just hanging waiting for a comment, a review etc. We’re definitely falling behind in terms of reviews.

The number of open PR’s increasing which in part is a good signal it means the project is getting more interest, but we should try to review these PR’s as soon as possible so new contributors keep the interest in contributing and we get the features/fixes sooner.

#core-editor, #editor-chat

Editor chat summary: Wednesday, 9 October 2019

This post summarizes the weekly editor chat meeting on Wednesday, 9 October 2019, 14:00 WEST held in Slack.

Weekly Priorities

WordPress 5.3 is planned for next week, there are still some issues we need to fix before then:

Some of the priorities are being worked, but others are not taken yet. If you think you can help with some of these tasks, please leave a comment on the issue!

It is also essential to address some browser issues, namely on IE. People with a windows dev setup could be beneficial here.

We are getting close to the WordPress 5.3 release; testing is essential, namely on the mobile phone you use, given the wide variety of devices that exist.

Task coordination

Note: If you’re reading this summary outside of the meeting, please drop a comment if you can/want to help with something!

@youknowriad

  • Working on the Media Upload errors handling.
  • Working on a fix to the navigation mode.
  • Lots of reviews and coordination.
  • Exploring some improvements to Block nesting selection with a new Block Breadcrumb.

@get_dave

  • Continues the work on DimensionControl https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/16791, and ResponsiveBlockControls https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/16790 PRs.
  • Started on the implementation of a potential new Link insert/edit interface as per https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/17557

@gziolo

  • Helped @epiqueras to land the initial version of the Components Storybook.
  • Is focused on some optimizations related to eliminating dead code (mostly for experimental features) from WordPress 5.3 release.

@jorgefilipecosta

  • Worked on some changes to the custom gradient picker. Now, it is possible to move the control points using arrow keys, and the code was reorganized. It should be ready for a more in-depth review; a11y feedback would also be valuable.
  • Focused on some 5.3 must-haves.
  • Helped (reviewed tested, or suggested commits) in navigation block (related PR’s), DimensionControl, ResponsiveBlockControl, and other smaller PR’s.
  • Will continue the work on must-haves, apply a refactor that makes media&text work on IE, and fix some generic block editor issues.

@karmatosed

@brentswisher

  • Hoping to revisit displaying a notice of some kind in the inserter when there are disabled blocks (https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/17338).
  • Help out with any 5.3 issues that he can.
  • Will try to help get through some of the new issues, label them, and get additional attention to them if he thinks they are WordPress 5.3 must-haves.

Open floor

@jeffreycarandang asked for an updated to PR https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/17617 and to issue https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/17809.

Regarding PR https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/17617 @youknowriad and @jorgefilipecosta both had some comments on the problem the PR faces. The basic idea is that when a format is applied to a rich text, the focus goes back to the rich text (e.g., when we press a “bold button” it is expected I can continue typing) this behavior was always present. Some time ago, mainly because of accessibility reasons, a change was applied to popovers that automatically closes them when the focus is outside. The two previous behaviors together have some impact on formats that are applied in a popover (the popover may close in an unexpected situation). This is a high priority very complex problem, and a solution is being worked.

Regarding issue https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/17809, @youknowriad pointed $wp_version variable as a possible solution and provided a way to make it available in JavaScript.

@welcher asked more detailed feedback on https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/16384 which adds a priority mechanism to the Slot&Fill pattern.

@mcsf and @youknowriad shared strong reservations.

It seems that priority and order are very visually focused, in stark contrast with how Gutenberg has tried to use SlotFill so far.

In Gutenberg, we talk about advanced settingsinspector, etc., instead of the visual element sidebar. Coming back to priority, what does it mean for SlotFill as far as selective rendering goes? how is a sequence determined semantically? etc.Why does this matter? Well, the bridging of different platforms and environments under Gutenberg is an important factor. If a codebase needs to work transparently across Web and Mobile, for example, its semantics needs to be clear and independent of a particular visual expression (e.g. Web on Desktop)

@mcsf

@mkaz had a docs related question:

How do y’ll feel about ES5 support in documentation? Most of the code and package docs are ESNext, but we show ES5 examples first in docs. I don’t have a proposal together yet, but I feel we should move people quicker to ESNext since it is what they most likely will experience everywhere.

People agreed that the default docs should be ESNext but ES5 examples should still be present.

#core-editor, #editor-chat, #meeting, #summary

Editor Chat Summary: October 2nd, 2019

This post summarizes the weekly editor chat meeting on 13:00 UTC, October 2nd, 2019 held in Slack.

The agenda can be found here.

WordPress 5.3

Slack transcript.

Gutenberg 6.6 was released and has been included in WordPress 5.3 beta 2.

Weekly Priorities

Slack Transcript.

The main current focus is still WordPress 5.3. Tasks are being tracked in this Github board. Starting work towards the content-block areas.

Task Coordination

Slack Transcript.

Open Floor

Slack Transcript.

@mikeschroder raised that WordPress 5.3 comes with an update to image uploads: if the server sends a HTTP 500 error (for example, because it couldn’t finish the thumbnail resizing) the process will be retried. This is implemented in the Media Library and Media Modal, but not in the REST API and Gutenberg yet.

@maximeculea mentioned that the mobile team is running an experiment with styled components (CSS in JS) as a way to learn whether styles can be shared between web and mobile.

@paaljoachim brough up that there is a PR that address some of Gutenberg float issues. @youknowriad and @joen noted that, currently, this falls in theme-land. We should make progress on some refactorings to the block list that are a better approach, leaving the current behavior as it is.

#core-editor, #editor-chat, #summary

Editor chat summary: 25 September 2019

This post summarizes the weekly editor chat meeting on Wednesday, 25 September 2019 at 1300 UTC held in Slack.

The agenda can be found here.

News

  • WordPress 5.3 beta 1 is out

Weekly Priorities

  • Weekly Priorities are the remaining important issues and tasks needed for WordPress 5.3: https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/projects/34?fullscreen=true
    • still considering the Block content areas related work as a priority for the project

Task coordination

Note: If you’re reading this summary outside of the meeting, please drop a comment if you can/want to help with something!

  • @andraganescu
    • refactored the MediaFlow component to be a drop in component nstead of a HoC. it looks kind of ready https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/16200
    • the PR implementing a smarter block appender could use a new review https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/16708
  • @youknowriad
    • works on the WP 5.3 board above,
    • also working on dev notes,
    • Trying to help fix bugs
    • Reviewing Block Content areas work as time allows.
  • @mapk
    • I’m watching the project board like a hawk.
    • Testing @getdave’s responsive spacing PR: https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/16790
    • Helping with the Inserter Panel Previews. https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/17493
    • Keeping movement on the Block Patterns: https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/17335
  • @brentswisher
    • will be back to his PRs
  • @getdave
    • works on the DimensionControl component and needs feedback https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/16791
    • needs feedback on ResponsiveBlockControl too https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/16790
  • @jorgefilipecosta
    • implements the first version of custom Gradient picker
    • needs review on https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/17154
    • also working on compiling WordPress 5.3 Gutenprops. If you have not yet associated your GitHub to your WP.org profile, please do so, to make the props work easier and to make sure props are attributed!
  • @mcsf
    • focusing back on improving remote vs. local autosaves

Open floor

  • @paaljoachim raised some issues for discussion
    • there was a discussion on an option to use text link instead of auto embed ended with needing to clarify more on the issue
    • there was a discussion on the social block features needed for it to make it in WP 5.3 resulted in not having a light version because of the risk that we’d introduce breaking changes in core
  • @desaiuditd and @youknowriad discussed about https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/17311

The next meeting is on 02 October 2019 at 13:00 UTC.

#core-editor, #editor-chat, #summary

Editor Chat Agenda: September 25th

Note taker: @andraganescu.

This is the agenda for the weekly editor chat scheduled for September 25, 2019 at 1300 UTC.

This meeting is held in the #core-editor channel in the Making WordPress Slack.

  • WordPress 5.3
  • Weekly Priorities
  • Task Coordination
  • Open Floor

If you have anything to share for the Task Coordination section, please leave it as a comment on this post.

As always, if you have anything to propose for the agenda or other specific items related to those listed above, please leave a comment below.

#agenda, #core-editor, #editor-chat

Editor Chat Agenda: September 18th

Note taker: @mikeschroder.

This is the agenda for the weekly editor chat scheduled for September 18, 2019 at 1300 UTC.

This meeting is held in the #core-editor channel in the Making WordPress Slack.

  • Gutenberg 6.5 Release
  • Weekly Priorities
  • Task Coordination
  • Open Floor

If you have anything to share for the Task Coordination section, please leave it as a comment on this post.

As always, if you have anything to propose for the agenda or other specific items related to those listed above, please leave a comment below.

#agenda, #core-editor, #editor-chat

Editor chat summary: Wednesday, 28 August 2019

This post summarizes the weekly editor chat meeting on Wednesday, 28 August 2019, 14:00 WEST held in Slack.

Weekly Priorities

  • Inline tips #16582 was closed until #16592 gets resolved.
  • Edit MediaFlow #11952 received feedback and needs to be updated).
  • Regarding the architecture work preparing the editor to handle multiple entities, @epiqueras shared that the framework changes and everything up to the site block is done. Now we need designs for template selection/creation, and post block save flows, etc.
  • Background color for the cover block was merged and release.
  • Regarding the gradient backgrounds, @jorgefilipecosta proposed a PR implementing gradient functionality. @jorgefilipecosta shared that we need to decide if the predefined gradients created by themes should use a class or an inline style. And asked: Is there an expectation that when a theme switch happens, the gradients should change? If you have any thoughts on this subject, please share them!
  • Screen height image expand has been updated and just about to cross the finish line. 

Task coordination

Note: If you’re reading this summary outside of the meeting, please drop a comment if you can/want to help with something!

  • @swissspidy is looking at support non-consecutive block multi-selection and would like a helping hand.
  • @nadir is going to revisit some blocked PRs he has made so he can advance them.
  • @kjellr is working on:
  • @jorgefilipecosta will continue the work on gradients, continue the block style improvements (is hoping to merge theme default block styles soon), and other smaller improvements like button block styles.
  • @joen is helping PR #16897 for a new social links block.
  • @mapk is looking to:
    • Spend time triaging and reviewing PRs.
    • Create some more structured mockups for dragging and dropping blocks next to each other: #13202.
    • The PR that adds resizing image to full-height, and also the gradients PR.
  • @brentswisher worked on a demo of using a full-screen modal for publishing #17225. This week will work on moving some old PR’s along. If time allows will come up with something for PR “Block inserter doesn’t show that some blocks are disabled” (would like some help).
  • @gziolo revisited a PR which stop showing errors and warnings when blocks get successfully updated from deprecated version (#16862). Plans to update WordPress core packages and fully automate the way we maintain script dependencies.

Open floor

@paaljoachim would like some feedback on the last comment he made on PR #16682. Asked if anyone can take over PR #16490, @mcsf said he was hoping to grab the referred PR in the next days. And to conclude @paaljoachim said PR #14367 is almost ready for a final review.

@welcher would like some feedback on PR #17198 (header toolbar).

#core-editor, #editor-chat, #summary

Editor Chat Summary

This post summarizes the weekly editor chat meeting on August 21, 2019 at 1300 UTC held in the core-editor Slack channel.

The agenda can be found here.

Note: If you’re reading this summary async, please drop a comment if you can/want to help with something!

Priorities for the week

Slack transcript.

Merged:

Being worked on / Needs more work:

Task Coordination

Slack transcript.

@youknowriad Refresh to reusable blocks that closes multiple issues, triagged issues and reviewed PRs.

@karmatosed Triagged, mainly issues/PRs that need design feedback.

@kjellr Improvements to the inserter help panel (1, 2), changes to NUX tips, and tidying up animations (1, 2).

@jorgefilipecosta Explored mobile viewport in the editor (1, 2). To work on text color formatting, gradient backgrounds, cover block resizing.

@mapk Looking into improving the sibling block inserter, helping on widgets work and @retrofox on a UI solution for screen height PR.

Components package reorganization and bundle sizes

Agenda | Slack Transcript | Issue

The issue created by @nerrad sparked a conversation on how to control bundle size and offer options to bundle “what you need”:

  • The `wp_enqueue_script` model encourages people to use the whole bundle for a package, not the specific pieces you want.
  • There are concerns over creating too many packages that make discoverability difficult.
  • Overrall, this ties into how to make WordPress play nicely with dynamically loading dependencies as you need them (the SPA model).

To be discussed more in the issue and/or in future core-js chats.

e2e test and block deprecations

Agenda | Slack Transcript | Issue

  • @isabel_brison raised the issue that e2e tests fail due to block deprecations triggering a `console.warning`.
  • The restriction have been very valuable when it came to deprecate APIs, as to make sure core wasn no longer using them. It is not that useful in other contexts.
  • There is a draft PR to address the deprecation issue.

#core-editor, #editor-chat, #summary