Dev Chat Summary: December 12th

Dev Chat Scheduling

As many folks will be away over the Christmas/New Year period, the next few meetings will be as follows:

  • December 19: Normal meeting.
  • December 26: Normal meeting will not be happening. There are likely to be core folks around to answer questions for an open floor session.
  • January 2: Normal meeting.

5.0.2 Schedule and Scope

Please note that WordPress 5.0.1 has just been released, so any previous mentions of scope or schedule for WordPress 5.0.1 should now be read as applying to WordPress 5.0.2.

WordPress 5.0.2 is intended to be released two weeks after WordPress 5.0, which would make the release date December 20. To give a little more space before the Christmas/New Year holiday period, I’ve proposed that it be released December 19.

Milestone Dates

  • Release Candidate 1: December 14, 2018
  • Release Candidate 2 (if needed): December 17, 2018.
  • General Release: December 19, 2018.

The following items are in scope for the 5.0.2 release:

  • Gutenberg 4.7 was released today, the fixes in this plugin release will also be in WordPress 5.0.2.
  • Twenty Nineteen bugs and visual issues.
  • There are a few PHP 7.3 compatibility fixes to be made.

Any other tickets currently milestoned for 5.0.2 will be considered on a case-by-case basis, priority will be given to tickets with patches, testing, screenshots, and any other relevant information to show that they’re ready to land immediately.

5.1 Schedule and Scope

As there are already over 200 tickets fixed in WordPress 5.1, I’d like to propose that WordPress 5.1 has a relatively short release cycle.

Milestone Dates

  • Beta 1: January 10, 2019
  • Release Candidate 1: February 7, 2019
  • General Release: February 21, 2019

A key point from the WordPress 5.0 cycle was that it demonstrated the value of having a hard feature freeze at beta 1, as well as string freezes and strict bug fixing policies during the release candidate phase. With that in mind, I’d like to propose that we retain these policies for the WordPress 5.1 cycle.

The tickets already fixed in WordPress 5.1 need to be reviewed, to ensure they’re all stable for release in this cycle.

Apart from that, the PHP upgrade warnings and the White Screen of Death protection from the Site Health Check project are currently the only uncommitted features scheduled for WordPress 5.1. The PHP upgrade warnings are currently soft warnings, ahead of the minimum PHP version bump proposed for April 2019.

@matt will be continuing his role as release lead into WordPress 5.1. Any other feature proposals will need to be approved by him.

Please leave feedback on this post, so the scope and schedule can be confirmed in the next day or two.

Focus and Component Updates


The REST API group will be re-opening discussion around authentication solutions. They’ll be posting further information about this project on make/core.

Core JS

The Core JS group didn’t meet this week, due to many folks travelling home from WCUS. They’ll be resuming normal meetings next week.

Core Themes

The current themes focus is on triaging Twenty Nineteen issues for 5.0.2, as well as preparing to move activity from GitHub into Trac. This move will likely happen immediately after 5.0.2.

#5-0-1, #5-0, #5-1, #core, #dev-chat #summary

Dev Chat Summary: November 21st (5.0 Week 8)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from November 21st (Slack archive).

5.0 Planning and Updates

  • Gutenberg 4.4 and WordPress 5.0-beta5 shipped, including updates to the block editor, PHP 7.3 support, and Twenty Nineteen.
  • The 5.0 / Gutenberg team continued their daily updates to Make/Core, noting PRs and issues remaining, as well as recent and upcoming plugin releases (see 11/16, 11/19, 11/20).
  • There are a few pending tasks in Trac needing attention, which meant release candidate didn’t happen yet. On the Gutenberg side, milestones are clear after 4.5.1 was released early in the day. Anyone who can commit or review, it would be great to get your attention on those remaining Trac tickets as a priority. Find out more in the post just released today.
  • The documentation reorganisation is merged and new documentation is being added. There are a couple of excellent outlines available for users and site maintainers as well as designers and developers.

Focus and Component Updates

  • The PHP team shared last week’s meeting recap with notes on Servehappy, adding support for PHP version requirements to themes, and beginnings of coordination with the Theme Review team.
  • The JavaScript team shared this week’s meeting recap with notes on correcting package global names and npm packages publishing workflow.
  • The Privacy team met earlier today, so only their agenda is currently available that covers 5.0 testing/patches, 3rd party code on footers, mobile app permissions and tracking, Google Fonts in Gutenberg, and Google reCAPTCHA 3.0. A full recap will be posted soon.

Announcements and Open Floor

  • The date of the release candidate and the WordPress 5.0 release was discussed. The primary goal is to finish the RC, then decide upon an appropriate release date.
  • @aaroncampbell asked for volunteers to help onboard people, and guide them to first bugs for non-Gutenberg work at WCUS. Please reach out to him if you’re able to help.

Next Meeting

The next meeting will take place on Wednesday, November 28 21:00 UTC in the #core Slack channel. Please feel free to drop in with any updates or questions. If you have items to discuss but cannot make the meeting, please leave a comment on the upcoming agenda post so that we can take them into account.

#5-0, #core, #dev-chat, #summary

Dev Chat Summary: October 10 (5.0 Week 2)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from October 10th (agenda, Slack archive).

5.0 planning

  • See @pento’s WordPress 5.0 for Contributors and Committers post:
    • “If you’re an experienced contributor or committer who has time available during the WordPress 5.0 release cycle, and want to be able to make meaningful contributions towards making WordPress 5.0 awesome” … “Please reply to this post with information about your availability, what components of WordPress you have experience in, and (if you haven’t got involved with Gutenberg yet) what you feel has been getting in the way.”
    • In that post are some direct actions you can take to help contribute to 5.0, otherwise please review and comment if you’ll be around during the 5.0 release cycle… thanks!
  • Also see review @pento‘s 5.0 commit/branch details if you plan to contribute during the 5.0 release cycle
  • @pento: if you have time to help, please review tickets in the 5.0 milestone to determine whether to keep it in 5.0 (Gutenberg-related), or move to 5.0.1 (other bug fix) or 5.1 (other feature)
  • @kadamwhiterequest for help testing Lazily Evaluate Translation Strings (#41305) with input requested by the end of this working week to help remove the blocker to further Gutenberg localization work
  • Plans for an updated readme.html to be committed with contributions open until RC
  • @chanthaboune: collecting blocker items and dates across team reps, will post listing to Make/Core, if you have items to add to the listing please ping @chanthaboune directly
    • @matt: 5.0 baseline and goal is 4.9.8 + Gutenberg, thus a lot of things that may have been considered blockers in past major releases are probably going to be reclassified as “nice to have”
  • @matveb: last JS package included in the Gutenberg 4.0 RC, on track and could be ready for end of the week

Updates from focus leads and component maintainers

General announcements

  • See @matt‘s post for details on the Gutenberg Phase 2 Leads, @alexislloyd (design and product) and @youknowriad (technical)
    • Phase 2 is about thinking outside the box, namely the post and page box, to allow Gutenberg to handle entire-site layouts. We will replace widgets with blocks, so any block will be able to be used in any registered “sidebar” for legacy themes, and we will upgrade “menus” to a navigation block.
    • Phases 3 and 4 of Gutenberg at WordCamp US in December.
  • @audrasjb: a11y team reorganizing, will discuss during next week’s meeting
  • @chanthaboune: as teams identify new/updated team reps, please follow notes on team rep orientation

Next meeting

The next meeting will take place on October 17, 2018 at 20:00 UTC in the #core Slack channel. Please feel free to drop in with any updates or questions. If you have items to discuss but cannot make the meeting, please leave a comment on this post so that we can take them into account.

#5-0, #a11y, #core, #core-editor, #core-js, #core-media, #core-php, #core-restapi, #dev-chat, #gutenberg, #summary, #team-reps

Dev Chat Summary: October 3rd (5.0 Week 1)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from October 3rd (agenda, Slack archive).

5.0 planning

  • See @matt‘s post on plan for 5.0 and leads across the critical focuses involved in the release
  • See also @youknowriad‘s post on the technical overview of Gutenberg integration for specifics on how 5.0 could progress
  • See also @pento‘s post on the proposed release schedule
    • Current release date is November 19th, could be pushed as late as November 27th if needed.  If more time is needed, then we’ll move the release to January 22, 2019.
  • @pento: intention is to have 5.0 out (including some small fixes to ensure compatibility) before PHP 7.3 is released. If 5.0 delays significantly, then there will be a 4.9.9 release with just the PHP 7.3 compatibility fixes.
  • @joen: fast approaching UI freeze, likely by RC if not by Beta 1 (October 19th), though bugs and testing feedback might force us to have to make changes
  • @matveb: feature freeze during betas, towards end of the month, based on work remaining in Make/Core update
  • Twenty Nineteen theme will be included in 5.0 with discussions in #core-themes, though the 5.0 release won’t be delayed if the theme evolves slowly, development will take place on GitHub with @kjellr publishing a post on the topic shortly
  • @laurelfulford creating Trac tickets for bundled theme updates
  • @chanthaboune still following up with component teams to discuss concerns on shift from 4.9.9 to 5.0
  • @pento still working to determine the 5.0 release branch in SVN, likely not viable to work from trunk for 5.0, may branch 5.0 from 4.9 and work there, a Make/Core post will come once that’s determined
  • @matt: open to having 5.0.x releases that are like the 4.9.x releases that bring in some larger updates or improvements we push off (e.g., servehappy the WordPress PHP education initiative)
  • @youknowriad: will continue updating Gutenberg documentation in the plugin (they’re markdown files) while making it clear in the Handbook which version you’re looking at:
    • Is it the integrated version into Core (the default)
    • Is it the handbook for the updates coming to Core (the current version in the plugin)
    • A version selector could also be integrated
  • @lonelyvegan: list of documentation issues noted in GitHub repo
  • @matveb: note plan to reorganize handbook to give more visibility to vision/guidelines
  • @danielbachhuber: collecting REST API-related issues for 5.0, any help on them would be greatly appreciated
  • @jorbin: 400+ open tickets in the 5.0 milestone needing a bug scrub
  • Help appreciated on tickets labeled as Needs Testing or Needs Technical Feedback
  • @desrosj: can help write dev notes needed
  • @joemcgill: ideally Gutenberg goes through feature merge process to ensure security/a11y/etc. reviews

Updates from focus leads and component maintainers

General announcements

Next meeting

The next meeting will take place on October 10, 2018 at 20:00 UTC in the #core Slack channel. Please feel free to drop in with any updates or questions. If you have items to discuss but cannot make the meeting, please leave a comment on this post so that we can take them into account.

#5-0, #core, #dev-chat, #summary

Dev Chat Summary: September 26th (4.9.9 week 7)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from September 26th (agenda, Slack archive).

4.9.9 and 5.0 updates

  • @schlessera: just about time to begin work on the 5.0 release cycle
    • @antpb and I will step back as release leads and wind down the 4.9.9 release
    • Over the next couple of weeks we will start coordinating the transition to ease into 5.0 release cycle
    • Will review the work that teams are already in the middle of and determine how best to proceed
    • Announcing this change as soon as possible to provide a longer transition period to smoothly transport as much work over as possible
  • @chanthaboune: “I lead the open source teams at Automattic and am a full time sponsored volunteer to the WordPress Project.”
    • We will reach out to team reps, discuss what you’ve been working on, and what we can do to keep things moving forward so that we can make sure everyone is heard as we settle in for 5.0
    • Current understanding is that @matt is leading 5.0 and any other leads are yet to be determined
  • @jorbin: concern with canceling 4.9.9 due to upcoming PHP7.3 release, some things need to be done to make sure WordPress runs fine on this new version of PHP, I want to ensure the version of WordPress in use on December 13th is compatible with PHP7.3, a very small scoped 4.9.9 may still be needed from myself and ideally @sergeybiryukov @pento @schlessera as well
  • @desrosj: #44416 and #44771 appear to be the open PHP 7.3 compatibility tickets in Trac
  • @pento: seems possible to wrangle a small 4.9.9 release with PHP 7.3 related bug fixes, while 5.0 is ramping up
  • @matveb: Gutenberg leads are near ready to start planning merge proposal for Gutenberg, currently focused on finishing the core Gutenberg tasks, @youknowriad has made a proposal for how JS packages could work
  • @youknowriad: recommend iterative merge vs. a big merge proposal, technical proposal on how this would work was shared in #core-js meetings
  • @sergeybiryukov: some new hooks or enhancements already backported to the 4.9 branch, will need to determine whether or not that should be reverted
  • @jeffpaul: in summary… (1) it appears like a possible agreement with @jorbin @pento (and possibly others who’ve been “voluntold” but yet to confirm) to work on a 4.9.9 focused solely on PHP 7.3 support and (2) @chanthaboune will review existing 4.9.9 work with team reps to see how that should be handled with the 5.0 cycle likely starting shortly

Updates from focus leads and component maintainers

  • The Editor / Gutenberg team released v3.9 last week including the ability to create reusable templates of blocks and exporting them to a JSON file
  • The JavaScript team posted this week’s meeting summary and specifically called for help looking for npm maintainers, so please let them know if you’re interested and available. Related to that, @youknowriad shared #44987 and is looking for review there.

General announcements

  • @psykro continues to look for review and feedback on the alternate devchat proposal
  • @joyously: Theme Review Team discussing what to allow theme authors to put in the admin, possibly allowing themes the same interface as plugins do with a readme.txt file and a View Details link to enhance the theme documentation, change logs, screenshots, upsells. Will look to have discussion in Core Trac ticket or Make/Themes post (and cross-post to Make/Core).

Next meeting

The next meeting will take place on October 3, 2018 at 20:00 UTC in the #core Slack channel. Please feel free to drop in with any updates or questions. If you have items to discuss but cannot make the meeting, please leave a comment on this post so that we can take them into account.

#4-9-9, #5-0, #core, #core-editor, #core-js, #dev-chat, #gutenberg, #summary