This post summarizes the weekly dev chat meeting held Wednesday, September 12, 2018 at 20:00 UTC. Agenda | Slack archive
We have a Road Map and she is gorgeous. Thank you @antpb and @schlessera for putting it together. Here’s a summary:
We will reassess these dates after the three-week mark:
- Beta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process. : Monday October 22, 2018
- Release Candidate One of the final stages in the version release cycle, this version signals the potential to be a final release to the public. Also see alpha (beta). : Monday October 29, 2018
- Release Date : Monday November 5, 2018
- Internationalization (i18n Internationalization, or the act of writing and preparing code to be fully translatable into other languages. Also see localization. Often written with a lowercase i so it is not confused with a lowercase L or the numeral 1. Often an acquired skill.)
- Accessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility)
- Site Health Project (Servehappy)
- Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ Merge Prep
- The Gutenberg team has proposed some tickets already:
- Other potential inclusions
If you’re interested in helping out with these topics, hit up these Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channels:
*Not real but should be.
- The plan is to run them weekly in the #core Slack channel across multiple timezones. Schedule 👏 Coming 👏 Soon 👏
Focus Lead and Component Maintainer Updates
Notes and Summary Posts
- From PHP The web scripting language in which WordPress is primarily architected. WordPress requires PHP 5.6.20 or higher Servehappy: More testers are needed for the WSOD protection on real-life, complex sites to reveal edge cases. A “complex site” is basically any site running locally with random plugins and random code.
If you’re thinking about get all up in these Focus and Component Maintainer teams, try attending a chat. Here’s the comprehensive list.
Anyone can submit a ticket Created for both bug reports and feature development on the bug tracker. for the Open Floor. Send your submission to @jeffpaul or moi (@whitneyyadrich), or comment on the agenda for that week’s chat.
Dev Chat Schedule
@psykro published his proposal for a second <dev chat> and it’s open for your comments. I’m sure we’ll touch on this during tomorrow’s dev chat, too.
As always, anyone is welcome to join <dev chat> every Wednesday at 20:00 UTC. As I said in the chat, to sorta quote the late, great Notorious B.I.G.
I’m goin’ go call my WP crew
You go call your WP crew
We can rendezvous in <dev chat> tomorrow around two (or Wednesday at 20:00 UTC)
#summary, #4-9-9, #core, #dev-chat