Dev Chat Summary: October 11th (4.9 week 11)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from October 11th (agendaSlack archive).

4.9 schedule and priorities review

  • Today is the Beta 2 deadline
  • Beta 2 build process will begin around Wednesday, October 11th 20:00 PDT / Thursday, October 12th 03:00 UTC
  • Next on the 4.9 release schedule will be Beta 3 next week on Wednesday, October 18th
  • Alpha/Beta/RC Forum has been quiet, excepting one that turned into a beta2 fix
  • Fix for PHP file editor came in via Twitter
  • Testing ideally focused on:
    • Remapping of nav menus and widgets when switching themes (see #39693 and #39692)
    • The updates the theme/plugin code editors
    • Scheduling and drafting in the Customizer
    • Locking in the Customizer (like post locking, but for your site changes)
    • Theme browsing and installation in Customizer
    • Revamped nav menu creation flow
    • Video and gallery widgets, plus Text widget with embeds
    • Browser testing, especially mobile + IE
  • 16 tickets still need patches
  • Would appreciate help reviewing patches and committing from committers over next two weeks

Dev Notes

  • 24 tickets tagged with needs-dev-note
  • Dev Notes were due with Beta 1, so we're behind on those
  • Please aim to publish those by this time next week so we can compile them into the Field Guide before Release Candidate

General announcements

  • @paaljoachim: Has there been any discussion about Twenty Eighteen theme?
    • No plans as of now for Twenty Eighteen, likely not enough time to start and finish by end of the year anyway
  • @presskopp: looking for an answer on my question on #42131
    • Recommendation to check with the Widget component maintainers who may otherwise be focused on Customize-related defects with 4.9

#4-9, #core, #core-customize, #dev-chat, #media-widgets, #summary

Customize Meeting Summary: September 25th

This post summarizes the Customize meeting from September 25th in the #core-customize Slack channel (Slack archive).

Participants: @westonruter, @melchoyce, @obenland, @sirjonathan, @joemcgill, @sayedwp, @jbpaul17. Misbehaving: @tracbot.

Discussion highlights

Drafting and Scheduling

Gallery widget

Customizer UX for themes

Bug scrub

  • Trac listing of the enhancements and feature requests milestoned for 4.9 for the team
  • #39930: docs changes, so changing this from enhancement task ticket
  • #28721: related to and will be resolved when #39896 is merged
  • #34843: will be resolved by #37661
  • #35827: no one working on this, so punting to Future Release
  • #40527: punting
  • #40922: punting
  • #37964: will be picked up by @sayedwp when #39896 is done
  • #38707: CSS highlight part is implemented, but “revisions, selection, per-page, pop-out” is not
    • “per-page” aspect has been yanked from consideration in the near future
    • will work on revisions, selection, and pop-out in a feature plugin outside of core
  • #39275: likely to be resolved in #39896
  • #40104: @bpayton hopes to have a patch up by Friday
  • Topic for future devchat: What is the difference between a feature request and a feature project. It’s not really formalized. Are we deeming “feature request” to be the same as “feature project”?

Next week’s meeting

The next meeting will take place on Monday, October 2, 17:00 UTC in the #core-customize Slack channel. Please feel free to drop in with any updates, questions, or tickets you’d like to discuss. If you have items to discuss but cannot make the meeting, please leave a comment on this post so that we can take them into account.

#4-9, #bug-scrub, #core-customize, #media-widgets, #summary

Customize Meeting Summary: September 18th

This post summarizes the Customize meeting from September 18th in the #core-customize Slack channel (Slack archive).

Participants: @westonruter, @jbpaul17, @melchoyce.

Discussion highlights

CodeMirror (“Better Code Editing“)

  • @melchoyce to review three assigned tickets, #41872 being most urgent and other tickets with @mentions
  • @westonruter: working on ensuring the new CodeMirror-enhanced Custom CSS is compatible with Jetpack
    • Created a reusable “code editor” customizer control so that Jetpack can extend it, also for other plugins to add their own code editor controls easily
    • Need support from the Jetpack team to review and finish off the initial PR that I opened
    • @melchoyce: I’ll ping Jetpack folks this week once we’re all back from the Automattic Grand Meetup (most should be back by Wednesday)

Drafting and Scheduling

  • Best to wrap UX work, as @sayedwp has gotten started on that this week
  • @westonruter to get latest code pushed up to the test environment for review
  • @melchoyce: realized earlier this week that the apps have a similar draft/publish flow
    • @jbpaul17: Are we aligned with the flow there and if not should we align with what they have or open an Issue for them to update to what we’re working on for core?
    • @melchoyce: We are pretty close, I’ll compare side by side this week

Widgets

  • @westonruter: hoping to get the Core Media Widgets plugin updated with the new Gallery widget today for user testing so we can get it merged into core next week (#41914)

Bug scrub

Next week’s meeting

The next meeting will take place on Monday, September 25, 17:00 UTC in the #core-customize Slack channel. Please feel free to drop in with any updates, questions, or tickets you’d like to discuss. If you have items to discuss but cannot make the meeting, please leave a comment on this post so that we can take them into account.

#4-9, #bug-scrub, #core-customize, #media-widgets, #summary

Customize Meeting Summary: September 11th

This post summarizes the Customize meeting from September 11th in the #core-customize Slack channel (Slack archive).

Participants: @westonruter, @jbpaul17, @joemcgill. @melchoyce and other Automatticians travelling today for this week’s Automattic Grand Meetup (“annual company meeting”) and thus not in attendance.

Discussion highlights

Notification area

  • @westonruter: working on drafting design and dependencies we have (see: #35210)
  • @westonruter: Designs should get finalized today and work can get going on that piece quickly
  • @jbpaul17: I should be able to have work start on that shortly

CodeMirror (“Better Code Editing“)

  • @westonruter: aiming to get the core patch committed today
  • @westonruter: opportunity for a contributor to learn and get experience is integrating a PHP linter ahead of 4.9 Beta 1 (October 4th)

Widgets

Other updates

  • @jbpaul17: chasing down potential contributors to help with other items for 4.9, no updates as of now
  • Plan to start bug scrubs after weekly meeting leading up to 4.9 Beta 1

Next week’s meeting

The next meeting will take place on Monday, September 18, 17:00 UTC in the #core-customize Slack channel. Please feel free to drop in with any updates, questions, or tickets you’d like to discuss. If you items to discuss about this but cannot make the meeting, please leave a comment on this post so that we can take them into account.

#4-9, #core-customize, #summary

Dev Chat Summary: September 6th (4.9 week 6)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from September 6th (agendaSlack archive).

4.9 schedule review

  • 3 weeks until the feature project merge deadline, 4 weeks until Beta 1
  • Customizer improvements for merging Changeset drafting and scheduling has yet to kick off development, designs are nearing completion (see: #39896 and #28721)
  • Gallery widget is still under development but it seems to have stalled, TODO’s noted on related GitHub PR
    • @joemcgill to look into avoiding serializing attachments data in the widget this week
  • @obenland working on wrestling the widget mapping issue when switching themes (see: #39693)
  • Page on Front progressing slowly, likely not ready for dev before Feature Merge
  • Theme switching issue for nav menu mapping has already been merged in trunk (see: #39692)
  • CodeMirror feature plugin (aka Better Code Editing) needs testing and a few outstanding issues that would benefit from contributors. Plan is to merge this week.
  • @psykro to look into #9757
  • “Add Media” button in the Text widget great opportunity for new contributors
  • #35827 could use an owner and remaining items in 4.9 Goals post could use contributors to help land in the release

Editor update

Iterating in trunk

  • @matt: I’m fine with more iteration happening in trunk vs how we’re bouncing patches around Trac so much
  • @matt: I’m okay with parts of trunk being broken as we iterate in this phase of dev
  • @desrosj: Do we have an established process for reverting things that break?
  • @obenland: I think we’re not talking about “PHP fatals”-broken, but rather a feature maybe not fully functional

HTML5 input types for validation

  • @afercia: any thoughts about relying on HTML5 input types browsers built-in validation only?
  • @azaozz: used to be buggy, seems to be working properly now
  • @afercia: seems to me still premature to rely on required for validation
  • @afercia: looking to leads to make a decision as new browsers support policy
  • @asaozz: Worth some testing, especially on the “lower end”, IE11
  • @afercia: there are still CSS rules in ie.css for Internet Explorer 6 (and 7, and 8). Can they just be dropped?
  • @azaozz: no need of ie.css in my honest opinion
  • @azaozz: intention is not to completely break old browsers if they still work, but to stop testing in them
  • @clorith: concerned about users locked into older browsers, like IE8, and keeping option for them to enqueue scripts relevant to their browser
  • @afercia: I wanted to start the discussion about this as it relates to the new browsers support policy

General announcements

#4-9, #core, #core-customize, #core-editor, #dev-chat, #gallery, #gutenberg, #html5, #summary, #trunk, #widgets

Dev Chat Summary: August 30th (4.9 week 5)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from August 30th (agendaSlack archive).

4.9 schedule review

  • 4 weeks until the feature project merge deadline, 5 weeks until Beta 1
  • CodeMirror feature plugin (aka Better Code Editing) aiming for merge in 2 weeks
    • @westonruter: Integration with CodeMirror’s linter is almost done to prevent the user from being able to save changes to the file editor, Additional CSS in the Customizer, and the Custom HTML widget if there are syntax errors in the code.
    • Demo: Blocking WordPress file editor saves via linting in CodeMirror
    • Still want to implement a PHP linter to help prevent whitescreening a site
    • Prior effort by @georgestephanis to add a PHP linter by using the PHP binary on the server had to be reverted because it will not be available on many hosts
    • May be able to implement a rudimentary PHP linter that uses CodeMirror’s tokenizer and use it to at least make sure that basic syntax is valid
    • For anyone who wants to contribute, please follow Issue#48
    • Aiming to release v0.5.0 of the plugin on WordPress.org today
    • It needs user testing and code review.
  • @azaozz: looking for second opinion on #41752.
    • Should we refactor the JS so it still works with (very) old plugins and themes?
    • It should replace the UI with a simple input type=“file”. If yes, any takers to do that?
    • If only a handful of plugins/themes affected, then we could work with the plugin authors to update rather than maintain back-compat in core for something that is dead.
    • @westonruter: will upload the results of my acking for affected plugins/themes to Trac when it finishes
  • @westonruter: one of the 4.9 feature ideas that had excitement was updating themes and plugins via ZIP upload, where this is not allowed (see #9757)
    • This work currently needs an owner, otherwise it is in risk of getting punted from the release
    • There are some good orientation comments at the end by pento and dd32 which can help you get started
  • @westonruter: big Customizer features planned for this release, including drafting and scheduling, have designs currently being worked on by @joshuawold and @folletto (see: #39896 #28721)
  • Reminder of the tickets in the goals post targeted for 4.9, please help specifically with these… thanks!

Update to Editor weekly meeting focus

  • Office hours on Wednesdays at 17:00 UTC are becoming tickets sessions to go through issues together for each weekly milestone of Gutenberg.
  • Please join then to help move that project forward.

#4-9, #core, #core-customize, #core-editor, #dev-chat, #summary, #swfupload

Dev Chat Summary: August 16th (4.9 week 3)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from August 16th (agendaSlack archive).

Feedback on 4.9 goals

  • @johnbillion: as part of ongoing Security focus, planning on several user account security related changes, for example bringing some of the Multisite confirmation emails when you change your email address into single site
  • @flixos90: Multisite team is working on REST API endpoints for the multisite objects, like sites and networks, plus improvements to the users endpoint that make it compatible with multisite
  • @westonruter: just published 0.2.0 of the codemirror-wp plugin which adds an a11y option to the user profile screen to opt-out of syntax highlighting in the same way that a user can opt-out of the visual editor
  • @westonruter: feedback and help welcomed via the CodeMirror repo
  • @westonruter: Customizer drafting and scheduling (essentially porting the features from the Customize Snapshots plugin) is currently working through designs with @joshuawold, once that’s set this will move to implementation

Component roadmaps

  • @desrosj: Multisite team using weekly meetings to re-organize the Network & Sites component’s roadmap to align with Core’s current focuses and the component’s short and long term goals
  • @desrosj: We propose using make.wordpress.org/core/roadmap/ as a location for components to house their roadmaps (multisite living at `make.wordpress.org/core/roadmap/multisite`) as roadmap posts on the Make/Core blog slowly get pushed away as new posts are published
  • @desrosj: The roadmap outline (brief descriptions of each item, a timeline, some tickets to focus on immediately) would live on these roadmap pages, and link out to make blog posts with specific details about each item.
  • Agreement to proceed with this with Multisite and assess how its working before pushing other components to do the same

General announcements

  • @koenhuybrechts: looking for update on #17268
  • @mte90: looking for update on #12955
    • @drewapicture: concern with potential performance hit due to the sheer number of times it’s called on a given page load; will leave a comment on the ticket
  • @mte90: looking for an update on #13657
    • No one around related to the Database component, will continue to look for updates via the ticket
  • @mte90: looking for an update on #40542 as well as my other patches

#4-9, #components, #core-customize, #core-multisite, #core-restapi, #dev-chat, #roadmaps, #security, #summary

New Contributors Meeting Recap – July 26

Yesterday our weekly new contributors meeting was held, again with some great questions and insights into contributing to WordPress core. Here is the recap for the chat, alternatively the full chat log is also available.

Participants: @adamcarter @audunhus @desrosj @dipendahal @flixos90 @hardeepasrani @johnbillion @joyously @jsonm @samikeijonen @stevenkword @welcher @xkon

Discussion Highlights:

  • Working on one of the three focuses (Gutenberg, Customizer, REST API) is preferred, but it’s also as great to contribute to another area of core as development in those components of course has not stopped. Contributions are welcome everywhere, the focuses only gain more traction and attention at this point.
  • VVV is only one way to contribute to WordPress core. It is the recommended way to do so since it has all the tools needed preinstalled and configured, but contributors are free to choose whichever way they like. It might just require more setup work when not using VVV.
  • An easy way to make your IDE / editor aware of the WordPress coding standards regarding whitespace usage is to use the .editorconfig file that trunk contains. This file uses a common standard, and there are plugins available for almost all popular environments that automatically parse the file and adjust the whitespace settings for the project. Extensions can be found at on the website of the project. Some IDEs like PHPStorm already come with built-in tools for the WordPress coding standards.
  • While every new change in WordPress requires unit tests to verify its correct behavior (except for wording or docs changes, or those that are too complex to test for other reasons), it is not required that the person who writes a patch also needs to provide unit tests for it. It would be nice, but if someone doesn’t feel comfortable enough for the time being or first would like to get the patch reviewed, that’s perfectly fine as well.

Tickets Discussed:

  • #41370 is a good-first-bug ticket that could use some attention and work. It belongs to the REST API focus, so is likely to get reviewed and also merged quickly once ready. The goal of the ticket is to figure out why creating a term that already exists results in a 500 error, and change that to a more meaningful 400 or 409 error. Please have a look if you are interested in the REST API.
  • #41318 is another ticket that could use some work, particularly unit tests to ensure the existing patch works correctly.

First Props:

From this week on, we’ll highlight new contributors with their first props in this post. Props is what you get when a changeset lands in core where you have significantly helped with, for example through a patch, unit tests or something else. Please let us know about your first props when you get them. You can easily get an overview of your props at this URL: https://core.trac.wordpress.org/search?q=props+USERNAME&noquickjump=1&changeset=on (replacing USERNAME with your actual wordpress.org username)

This week, @xkon received his first props. Congrats! 🎉

Next week’s Meeting:

The next meeting will take place in the #core slack channel on Wednesday, August 2, 19:00 UTC. Please feel free to drop in with any questions or tickets you’d like to discuss!

Thanks to everyone that attended! As always, please feel free to leave a comment below or reach out to any of the moderators with questions on Slack.

#new-contributors, #summary

Dev Chat Summary: June 28th (4.8.1 week 2)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from June 28th (agendaSlack archive).

4.9 ideas

4.8.1 planning

  • #40951 & #40907 will be core to the 4.8.1 release being targeted around the last week of July
  • General bug scrub to be scheduled after the 4th of July holiday on the 4.8.1 milestone
  • Component maintainers please review your 4.8.1 milestone and punt to Future Release / 4.9 as necessary
  • Reminder that we are “approaching 4.8.1 tickets as more traditional regression types of issues”

Editor update

Customize update

  • appreciate more people testing 40951.3.diff
  • also appreciate testing of the HTML widget in trunk (see #40907)

REST API update

  • had a lot of new docs contributions at WCEU contributions day
  • have some momentum and hope to build upon it in coming weeks

Dev chat coordination

  • @jbpaul17 looking for 1-2 others out there to help run the weekly dev chats similar to how the Core Weekly Updates are split up
  • A great way for product/project management or otherwise non-engineers to help contribute to WordPress Core
  • Please ping @jbpaul17 if you have interest in helping out!

New contributor bug scrub/open office hours

  • idea is a weekly bug scrub/open office hours focused on new contributors
  • would include tickets tagged good-first-bug and any tickets new contributors wanted to work on
  • Likely to schedule for Wednesdays at 19:00 UTC
  • @adamsilverstein, @welcher, @stevenkword, & @flixos90 to help run the meetings
  • Please ping @adamsilverstein if you have interest in volunteering as well

General announcements

  • @m1tk00: looking for help with the Gallery Widget in the Customizer regarding the edit button
    • need to know how to send the already selected ID’s, when someone wants to edit the gallery
    • will ping @obenland or @timmyc in #core-customize for help
  • @enricosorcinelli: #21676 patched and awaiting review, how to get it more attention?
    • added needs-testing to the ticket, will ping @obenland as Themes component maintainer to review
  • @pbiron: would like to start a “feature plugin” project to work on rewriting the exporter
    • would like to rework ALL of the XML related code in core (e.g., using XMLWriter instead of echo statements, etc)
    • using XMLWriter and with some pretty drastic changes to the WXR markup
    • should be putting the 1st version up on GitHub in few days
    • also written an XML Schema for WXR 1.2
    • will add the feature proposal as a comment to the 4.9 wishlist on last week’s dev chat summary
  • @flixos90: thinking about ways to improve Trac workflow
    • wondering whether it would be possible to automatically set a has-patch keyword once a patch is uploaded?
    • It’s a bad experience for new contributors to search through tickets without a patch, but finding ones that already have one
    • will drop by #meta-tracdev to continue the conversation
  • @jnylen0@enricosorcinelli working on #39732 and #39730
    • 39732 is a sanity improvement and a follow-up to work done around 4.7 in the API, should land soon for 4.9, but it would be good to get more eyes on it especially someone who has worked on comments before
    • 39730 may as well land at or around the same time as the above
  • @welcher: would love some eyes on Load word-count and do not allow our wp-utils script to clobber it

#4-8, #4-8-1, #4-9, #core, #core-editor, #core-restapi, #dev-chat, #summary

Dev Chat Summary: June 7th (4.8 week 6)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from June 7th (agendaSlack archive).

4.8 timing recap and Pre-Final Release & Dry Run checklist items

  • Beta 1 went out on Friday, May 12th; Beta 2 went out on Monday, May 22nd
  • RC1 went out on Thursday, May 25th; RC2 went out on Thursday, June 1st
  • 4.8 is scheduled for June 1, 2017 at 9am EDT
  • Events widget looks ready
  • Credits API to be updated by @ocean90 tomorrow morning
  • About page update for responsive, CDN-hosted images coming from @melchoyce
  • Announcement post draft is ready to go; @jorbin & @ocean90 to help provide contributor & language count as input
  • Announcement email being drafted by @matt
  • Codex page to be updated by @jbpaul17
  • Agreed to remove “partial back to IE8” from Browser support page in Design handbook
  • tinymce/plugins/wpembed to be added to $_old_files by @ocean90
  • No new default theme, so $_new_bundled_files is fine
  • Updates to default themes and submission to repo to be done by @davidakennedy, committed by @ocean90
  • Hosts email to be drafted by @jbpaul17, email to be reviewed & sent by @jorbin
  • Systems to be covered by @vnsavage
  • grunt prerelease check for tests & standards to be run by @jorbin

4.8 Bug Scrub

  • Reviewing four tickets in Defects Awaiting Review, reported against trunk section from Report 40
  • #40929: relates to improved translator docs, punting to next minor release (4.8.1)
  • #40932: moved to Future Release
  • #40927: not a regression, moved to Future Release
  • #40906: marked as a dupe of #40685, not a blocker for 4.8

Other News

  • Customize: looking for a new contributor to work on the HTML/Code widget, a good-first-bug, please chat in #core-customize if you’re interested
  • Editor: working to get the plugin in the plugin repo so that more people can review it and provide feedback. Goal is this week.
  • Devchat coordination: will be covered in upcoming devchat

#4-8, #core, #core-editor, #dev-chat, #summary