Dev Chat Agenda: March 14th (4.9.5 week 6)

This is the agenda for the weekly dev meeting on March 14, 2018 at 21:00 UTC / March 14, 2018 at 21:00 UTC:

  • 4.9.5 planning
  • Release planning (GDPR, serve happy, debug screen, on-boarding improvements, GutenbergGutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/)
  • Contribute with Docs handbook content
  • Updates from focus leads and component maintainers
  • General announcements

If you have anything to propose to add to the agenda or specific items related to the above, please leave a comment below. See you there!

#4-9-5, #agenda, #core, #dev-chat

Dev Chat Summary: March 7th (4.9.5 week 5)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from March 7th (agenda, Slack archive).

4.9.5 planning

  • @audrasjb and @danieltj to lead bugbug A bug is an error or unexpected result. Performance improvements, code optimization, and are considered enhancements, not defects. After feature freeze, only bugs are dealt with, with regressions (adverse changes from the previous version) being the highest priority. scrubs every Tuesday from 20:00 to 21:00 UTC
  • Planned release schedule:
    • BetaBeta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process.: 03/20
    • RC: 03/27
    • Expected release date: 04/03
  • Looking to move some 5.0 `good-first-bug` labelled tickets to 4.9.5 if they are already committed, self-contained, can be back-ported cleanly before milestoning, and don’t introduce any unintended backcompat issues

Definition of what’s included in minor releases && GutenbergGutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ updates

  • @jbpaul17: Suggestion to expand what can go into minor releases and allow new files to be introduced as this could benefit projects being able to ship in a minor versus waiting for a major releasemajor release A release, identified by the first two numbers (3.6), which is the focus of a full release cycle and feature development. WordPress uses decimaling count for major release versions, so 2.8, 2.9, 3.0, and 3.1 are sequential and comparable in scope./5.0 (e.g., serve happy, debug screen, on boarding improvements, GDPR compliance tools)
  • @jbpaul17: Question as to cons for doing so (e.g., breaking auto-updates) and whether they’re unsolvable technical problems or historical blockers that haven’t been researched recently and could potentially be resolved
  • Previous discussion on this topic related to inline docs
    • “Every extra file adds a significant amount of KB to the package, which adds up pretty quickly. This not only stretches the wordpress.orgWordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/ load balancers (when suddenly millions of sites are updating within an hour), but also each individual site, which must download the ZIP, which takes time (partial builds made things, on many shared servers, go from minutes to seconds) and introduces lots of possibilities of download failures, and thus sites needing to retry later (and wait longer) to get patched.”
  • Prior comment that although it’s a little inconvenient, it’s a handy line in the sand for backporting to prevent new files
  • @joemcgill: Important to get input from people familiar with and have access to the infrastructure and historical data about releases
  • Side conversation on altering version numbering scheme such that next major could be 4.10.0 and allow non-Gutenberg projects to land in a major release while Gutenberg can still have the 5.0 version number; alternative to switching to semantic versioning is pushing Gutenberg back to 5.1
  • @joemcgill: Important to clarify what we’re trying to solve: trying to release some new features that are blocked while we wait for Gutenberg/5.0. Suggestion: discuss the specific features and why they’re worth including in a minor and figure out the technical blockers to make that happen
  • @xkon: GDPR work is trying to avoid shipping with Gutenberg to ensure user-stress levels are low for these respective updates; in an ideal world GDPR should land before May 25th
  • @joemcgill: Helpful to understand the roadmap for 5.0 timelines to know if we should squeeze something in a minor releaseMinor Release A set of releases or versions having the same minor version number may be collectively referred to as .x , for example version 5.2.x to refer to versions 5.2, 5.2.1, 5.2.3, and all other versions in the 5.2 (five dot two) branch of that software. Minor Releases often make improvements to existing features and functionality. or do a vanity 4.9.10 major release
  • @matveb: Gutenberg plan is still tentatively April
  • @peterwilsoncc: Pushing new files into minors would require two releases:
    • 1 to update auto updates
    • 2 to update and include the new files for GDPR, serve happy, etc.
  • @sergey: precedent of adding new functions to existing files in a minor branchbranch A directory in Subversion. WordPress uses branches to store the latest development code for each major release (3.9, 4.0, etc.). Branches are then updated with code for any minor releases of that branch. Sometimes, a major version of WordPress and its minor versions are collectively referred to as a "branch", such as "the 4.0 branch". where they’re in separate files on trunktrunk A directory in Subversion containing the latest development code in preparation for the next major release cycle. If you are running "trunk", then you are on the latest revision., same could apply for GDPR/etc.
  • @joemcgill: restating the problem… We have some features ready for release but are blocked by historical constraints on our minor release process, meanwhile we have no clear sense of when the next major is going to be ready because it’s tied to Gutenberg
    • Option 1: Change the constraints on a minor release and add the features. This needs input from infrastructure people
    • Option 2: Do a major release before Gutenberg is ready if we need to
    • Option 3: Wait for Gutenberg to be ready
  • Gutenberg team looking for more help in getting it ready for the path to merge proposal, getting a promo notice in a release to help increase testing
  • @azaozz: GDPR tools cannot wait very long. Will need to be out end of April, early May the latest
  • Gutenberg work divided into “feature complete”, “merge proposal” (things we definitely need), and “5.0
  • Gutenberg areas that need attention for 5.0 merge:
    • APIAPI An API or Application Programming Interface is a software intermediary that allows programs to interact with each other and share data in limited, clearly defined ways. tasks need owners.
    • All coreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. issues should have corresponding tickets.
    • JSJS JavaScript, a web scripting language typically executed in the browser. Often used for advanced user interfaces and behaviors. packages integration can be a topic for the core-js chats.
    • Gutenberg repo needs help with triagetriage The act of evaluating and sorting bug reports, in order to decide priority, severity, and other factors. and fixing bugs.
    • Documentation and coding standard updates.
    • AccessibilityAccessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) needs to be improved
  • Various Gutenberg-related tasks could use help and don’t have to wait for merge proposal:
    • Various REST API tasks that can be done now in parallel
    • Core changes
    • New endpoints and infrastructure plans
    • How would inclusion of Gutenberg/JS packages work
  • Gutenberg team would like to see how integration with truck would work as early as possible, aiming for April for an initial merge/first beta (not actual 5.0 release)
  • Gutenberg team needs more component and lead developers focus and feedback

Next meeting

The next meeting will take place on March 14, 2018 at 21:00 UTC / March 14, 2018 at 21:00 UTC in the #core SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel. Please feel free to drop in with any updates or questions. If you have items to discuss but cannot make the meeting, please leave a comment on this post so that we can take them into account.

#4-9-5, #core, #dev-chat, #summary

Dev Chat Agenda: March 7th (4.9.5 week 5)

This is the agenda for the weekly dev meeting on March 7, 2018 at 21:00 UTC / March 7, 2018 at 21:00 UTC:

  • 4.9.5 planning
  • Definition of what’s included in minor releases
  • Updates from focus leads and component maintainers
  • General announcements

If you have anything to propose to add to the agenda or specific items related to the above, please leave a comment below. See you there!

#4-9-5, #agenda, #core, #dev-chat

Dev Chat Summary: February 28th (4.9.5 week 4)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from February 28th (agenda, Slack archive).

4.9.5 planning

  • @danieltj and @audrasjb to work as co-leads with @sergey to work as deputy
  • @danieltj and @audrasjb to run bugbug A bug is an error or unexpected result. Performance improvements, code optimization, and are considered enhancements, not defects. After feature freeze, only bugs are dealt with, with regressions (adverse changes from the previous version) being the highest priority. scrub meetings on Tuesdays from 20:00 to 21:00 UTC
  • If you have interest and availability to help run additional bug scrubs, then please reach out to @danieltj @audrasjb @sergey or @jeffpaul
  • 4.9.5 schedule to be communicated in next week’s devchat meeting

Updates from focus leads and component maintainers

  • The REST APIREST API The REST API is an acronym for the RESTful Application Program Interface (API) that uses HTTP requests to GET, PUT, POST and DELETE data. It is how the front end of an application (think “phone app” or “website”) can communicate with the data store (think “database” or “file system”) https://developer.wordpress.org/rest-api/. team is still having difficulty with a meeting time that works for all parties. Join them in #core-restapi if you’re interested in discussing a time that works for US/EMEA and another that overlaps better with APAC.
  • The PHPPHP The web scripting language in which WordPress is primarily architected. WordPress requires PHP 5.6.20 or higher team posted notes from their meeting last week and meet again Monday at 16:00 UTC in #core-php.
  • The GDPR Compliance team posted notes from their meeting last week and you can continue to follow along in #gdpr-compliance.
  • @obenland cross-posted from Make/MetaMeta Meta is a term that refers to the inside workings of a group. For us, this is the team that works on internal WordPress sites like WordCamp Central and Make WordPress. about Two Factor Authentication on WP.org and you can continue to follow along in Meta#77.

WCEU Contributor DayContributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/.

  • @flixos90 looking for volunteers for the coreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. team to lead WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Europe contributor day.
  • @getsource will be there, but helping with Hosting Community
  • @kadamwhite will be there, but his experience from WCUS shows it may be better for REST API folks to embed with another team and support their efforts (e.g., the Editor team)
  • @antpb willing to talk on setting up a local for GutenbergGutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ and Core development
  • @sergey will be there helping with Meta team, but open to helping with Core during afternoon
  • Also, please keep your eyes out on tickets that would be good to be tackled at WCEU contributor day
  • If you’re attending WCEU and interested in leading the core team or targeted sub-teams (JavaScriptJavaScript JavaScript or JS is an object-oriented computer programming language commonly used to create interactive effects within web browsers. WordPress makes extensive use of JS for a better user experience. While PHP is executed on the server, JS executes within a user’s browser. https://www.javascript.com/., REST API, etc.), then please reach out to @flixos90.

General announcements

  • Progress on implementing a way to catch the issue from the 4.9.3 release is being tracked in #43395
  • @mte90 looking for review on eight tickets:
    • #40810: patchpatch A special text file that describes changes to code, by identifying the files and lines which are added, removed, and altered. It may also be referred to as a diff. A patch can be applied to a codebase for testing. has been refreshed including unit tests, needs review
    • #34706: needs review on whether work is required or not as the desired enhancementenhancement Enhancements are simple improvements to WordPress, such as the addition of a hook, a new feature, or an improvement to an existing feature. may already exist; @danieltj to take a look
    • #14148: needs review to see if a refresh is needed, otherwise needs testing
    • #17025: needs review before another likely refresh
    • #28112: needs review and docs; @audrasjb to test the patch
    • #36661: needs review
    • #15145: needs review
    • #17019: needs testing
  • @helgatheviking looking for review on #18584, but likely wait on this for now until Gutenberg lands as nav menus might get a bit of an overhaul

Next meeting

The next meeting will take place on March 7, 2018 at 21:00 UTC / March 7, 2018 at 21:00 UTC in the #core SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel. Please feel free to drop in with any updates or questions. If you have items to discuss but cannot make the meeting, please leave a comment on this post so that we can take them into account.

#4-9-5, #core, #dev-chat, #summary

Dev Chat Agenda: February 28th (4.9.5 week 4)

This is the agenda for the weekly dev meeting on February 28, 2018 at 21:00 UTC / February 28, 2018 at 21:00 UTC:

If you have anything to propose to add to the agenda or specific items related to the above, please leave a comment below. See you there!

#4-9-5, #agenda, #core, #dev-chat

Dev Chat Summary: February 21st (4.9.5 week 3)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from February 21st (agenda, Slack archive).

4.9.5 planning

  • @danieltj self-nominated to lead this minor releaseMinor Release A set of releases or versions having the same minor version number may be collectively referred to as .x , for example version 5.2.x to refer to versions 5.2, 5.2.1, 5.2.3, and all other versions in the 5.2 (five dot two) branch of that software. Minor Releases often make improvements to existing features and functionality., but as a first time lead we’d like someone who already led one to be deputy. Please reach out to @jbpaul17 (@jeffpaulon SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/.) or comment on this post with nominations.
  • @audrasjb able to assist with bugbug A bug is an error or unexpected result. Performance improvements, code optimization, and are considered enhancements, not defects. After feature freeze, only bugs are dealt with, with regressions (adverse changes from the previous version) being the highest priority. scrubs, testing, and triagetriage The act of evaluating and sorting bug reports, in order to decide priority, severity, and other factors.
  • 4.9.5 timeline is still dependent on reducing the number of sites stuck on 4.9.3
  • Auto-update needs automated end to end tests, @jorbin to look into specifying what’s needed and @joostdevalk on getting implementation assistance
  • @schlessera to investigate why the update via WP-CLIWP-CLI WP-CLI is the Command Line Interface for WordPress, used to do administrative and development tasks in a programmatic way. The project page is http://wp-cli.org/ https://make.wordpress.org/cli/ didn’t fatal whereas the cron update did

Updates from focus leads and component maintainers

General announcements

  • @iandunn ready to commit the following tickets, but would like a quick review from another committercommitter A developer with commit access. WordPress has five lead developers and four permanent core developers with commit access. Additionally, the project usually has a few guest or component committers - a developer receiving commit access, generally for a single release cycle (sometimes renewed) and/or for a specific component. first:
    • #41112 – Show WordCamps higher up in the News Dashboard widgetWidget A WordPress Widget is a small block that performs a specific function. You can add these widgets in sidebars also known as widget-ready areas on your web page. WordPress widgets were originally created to provide a simple and easy-to-use way of giving design and structure control of the WordPress theme to the user.@sergey to review and mark for commit
    • #42282 – Provide means of executing PHPUnit continuously over watched files in local environments
    • #43101 – Test to ensure MediaElement SWFs aren’t accidentally added to build
  • @benoitchantre looking for review on four tickets:
    • #36455 – Call opcache_reset() after plug-in, theme or coreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. update
    • #14877 – Ability to create exclusive custom taxonomies
    • #27111 – Turning off global comments should include existing content
    • #42645 – Support passing version number to add_editor_style() – @danieltj has a patchpatch A special text file that describes changes to code, by identifying the files and lines which are added, removed, and altered. It may also be referred to as a diff. A patch can be applied to a codebase for testing. for this but it needs testing
  • @mte90 looking for review on four tickets:
    • #40810 – wp_mail fails to send email on WP auto update when wp-cron is called directly by php
    • #30991 – Post type object capability ‘delete_posts’ is referenced in the posts list table but does not exist unless ‘map_meta_cap’ is set to true for post type
    • #20037 – Introduce ‘noindex’ filterFilter Filters are one of the two types of Hooks https://codex.wordpress.org/Plugin_API/Hooks. They provide a way for functions to modify data of other functions. They are the counterpart to Actions. Unlike Actions, filters are meant to work in an isolated manner, and should never have side effects such as affecting global variables and output. for robots metaMeta Meta is a term that refers to the inside workings of a group. For us, this is the team that works on internal WordPress sites like WordCamp Central and Make WordPress. tagtag A directory in Subversion. WordPress uses tags to store a single snapshot of a version (3.6, 3.6.1, etc.), the common convention of tags in version control systems. (Not to be confused with post tags.)
    • #14148 – wp_get_attachment_url() is not url encoding

Next meeting

The next meeting will take place on February 28, 2018 at 21:00 UTC / February 28, 2018 at 21:00 UTC in the #core Slack channel. Please feel free to drop in with any updates or questions. If you have items to discuss but cannot make the meeting, please leave a comment on this post so that we can take them into account.

#4-9-5, #core, #dev-chat, #summary

Dev Chat Agenda: February 21st (4.9.5 week 3)

This is the agenda for the weekly dev meeting on February 21, 2018 at 21:00 UTC / February 21, 2018 at 21:00 UTC:

  • 4.9.5 planning
  • Updates from focus leads and component maintainers
  • General announcements

If you have anything to propose to add to the agenda or specific items related to the above, please leave a comment below. See you there!

#4-9-5, #agenda, #core, #dev-chat

Dev Chat Summary: February 14th (4.9.5 week 2)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from February 14th (agenda, Slack archive).

4.9.5 planning

  • We’re looking for nominations for people to lead this minor releaseMinor Release A set of releases or versions having the same minor version number may be collectively referred to as .x , for example version 5.2.x to refer to versions 5.2, 5.2.1, 5.2.3, and all other versions in the 5.2 (five dot two) branch of that software. Minor Releases often make improvements to existing features and functionality., self-nominations are very much welcome. Please reach out to @jbpaul17 (@jeffpaulon SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/.) or comment on this post with nominations.
  • No timeline set for 4.9.5, but minor releases tend to run 6-8 weeks so we’ll go with what fits with the release leads’ schedule
  • Potential focus for 4.9.5 could be support of foundational work needed to support GutenbergGutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/

Updates from focus leads and component maintainers

  • The PHPPHP The web scripting language in which WordPress is primarily architected. WordPress requires PHP 5.6.20 or higher team shared a recap from their recent meeting, thanks again to them for documenting that discussion
  • The GDPR compliance team met earlier today, so if you missed the meeting but have interest in the topic you can follow along in the #gdpr-compliance channel.
  • The New Contributor meeting has resumed, thanks to @desrosj for getting that going again

“good-first-bugbug A bug is an error or unexpected result. Performance improvements, code optimization, and are considered enhancements, not defects. After feature freeze, only bugs are dealt with, with regressions (adverse changes from the previous version) being the highest priority.” claiming process

  • Topic primer from @drewapicture: Gardeners have (mostly) been updating patchpatch A special text file that describes changes to code, by identifying the files and lines which are added, removed, and altered. It may also be referred to as a diff. A patch can be applied to a codebase for testing.-related keywords on `good-first-bug` tickets, but not assigning the tickets which is what actually moves a `good-first-bug` ticketticket Created for both bug reports and feature development on the bug tracker. from the unclaimed to the claimed list. I just went through and assigned maybe 40 tickets, which puts the unclaimed list at a much more realistic 4 tickets. It might be worth a discussion about whether we should change the “claiming” behavior to trigger off of adding the `has-patch` keyword vs being assigned. It’s one thing to ask people to just do what needs to be done in the current workflow, but that doesn’t seem to be working, so maybe the better option is to just change how it works so it can be more automagical.
  • Agreement that adding a patch equates to claiming a ticket, conceptually auto-claiming could work
  • Meta#3459 created to track this work

General announcements

Next meeting

The next meeting will take place on February 21, 2018 at 21:00 UTC / February 21, 2018 at 21:00 UTC in the #core Slack channel. Please feel free to drop in with any updates or questions. If you have items to discuss but cannot make the meeting, please leave a comment on this post so that we can take them into account.

#4-9-5, #core, #dev-chat, #summary

Dev Chat Agenda: February 14th (4.9.5 week 2)

This is the agenda for the weekly dev meeting on February 14, 2018 at 21:00 UTC / February 14, 2018 at 21:00 UTC:

  • 4.9.5 planning
  • Updates from focus leads and component maintainers
  • `good-first-bugbug A bug is an error or unexpected result. Performance improvements, code optimization, and are considered enhancements, not defects. After feature freeze, only bugs are dealt with, with regressions (adverse changes from the previous version) being the highest priority.` claiming process
  • General announcements

If you have anything to propose to add to the agenda or specific items related to the above, please leave a comment below. See you there!

#4-9-5, #agenda, #core, #dev-chat

Dev Chat Summary: February 7th (4.9.5 week 1)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from February 7th (agenda, Slack archive).

4.9.3 + 4.9.4 update

  • 4.9.3 went out on Monday, 4.9.4 went out on Tuesday; note technical details behind 4.9.4
  • Note final paragraph from the 4.9.4 technical details post:
    • What we’re doing to prevent this happening again We’ll be making a follow up post after we’ve been able to determine how to ensure that this never happens again. We don’t like bugs in WordPress any more than you do, and we’ll be taking steps to both increase automated coverage of our updates and improve tools to aid in the detection of similar bugs before they become an issue in the future.
  • If you have ideas, solutions, or are able to support increasing “automated coverage of our updates” and improving “tools to aid in the detection of similar bugs” then please gather those and add them to the pending post on this topic.
  • @jbpaul17 to see if any process-related changes might help
  • @sergey also asked for ideas on how we can improve the quality and consistency of our code reviews
  • @helen spoke with @dd32 and will look into a way to test auto-updates
  • @desrosj noted that automating some parts of the release process might help

Updates from focus leads and component maintainers

  • The Editor / GutenbergGutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ team has begun discussion on the scope and features for Gutenberg’s MVP. They also have their weekly bugbug A bug is an error or unexpected result. Performance improvements, code optimization, and are considered enhancements, not defects. After feature freeze, only bugs are dealt with, with regressions (adverse changes from the previous version) being the highest priority. scrub tomorrow (Thursday, February 8th) at 17:00 UTC.
  • The Media team posted a recap from their previous meeting for review.

General announcements

  • Comment thread from today’s agenda post on topic of security not able to be addressed as no one from the Security team was present, but @aaroncampbell provided a response ahead of time:
    • Okay, so this is the DoS issue with load-scripts.php and load-styles.php: Basically, the best mitigation for this is at the networknetwork (versus site, blog) level. Hosts and WAFs can rate limit this in a way that makes a lot more sense than anything WordPress can do. Caching would also be extremely useful in this case. Something that we _could_ do is limit the number of scripts that could be loaded at once with those, but the problem with that is all it does is reduce the load by some relatively marginal amount.
  • @leemon asks for review on #43226; @drewapicture to take a look
  • @binarymoon asks for review on #38545; looking for someone to give feedback and get to an agreement so this ticketticket Created for both bug reports and feature development on the bug tracker. can move forward
  • @joyously asked whether New Contributor meeting was still occurring; @desrosj to speak with other facilitators and get the meetings re-started
  • @williampatton shared insights into his experience being a deputy release leadRelease Lead The community member ultimately responsible for the Release. on 4.9.3; encourages others to contribute as leads, noting coreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. commit access is not required, recommends pairing with experienced lead; highlighted permissions issues that should be resolved; thankful for support from others during the release process; will help elaborate on minor release handbook page
  • @chanthaboune highlighted the need to “lessen that cognitive load for new/learning release leads”, need to call out contingencies and what’s time-specific; in general how can we make the contribution process easier

Next meeting

The next meeting will take place on February 14, 2018 at 21:00 UTC / February 14, 2018 at 21:00 UTC in the #core SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel. Please feel free to drop in with any updates or questions. If you have items to discuss but cannot make the meeting, please leave a comment on this post so that we can take them into account.

#4-9-5, #core, #dev-chat, #summary