Dev Chat Summary: April 11th (4.9.6 week 2)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from April 11th (agenda, Slack archive).

4.9.5 feedback

  • @audrasjb wrapping up feedback post, aiming to publish by end of week on experience leading 4.9.5
  • No other feedback, so no urgent need to rush out immediate fixes in 4.9.6

4.9.6 planning

  • @desrosj self-nominated to be co-lead, @melchoyce nominated @allendav to be co-lead, @sergey self-nominated to be a deputy (given desire to have a lead with commit access); all have accepted and will begin planning, many thanks to them!
  • @desrosj to focus on coordinating release, @allendav to focus on GDPR, @sergey to focus on review and commits were needed
  • Will want to line up someone to help with packaging ~48 hours ahead of beta, RC, and release
  • Tentative timeline: beta on Tuesday, April 24th, RC on Tuesday, May 1st, and Release on Tuesday, May 8th (will be confirmed in next week’s devchat)
  • Planning to begin communicating via Make/Core of what’s going into 4.9.6 and will encourage devs to utilize trunk
  • @desrosj and @jbpaul17 to work on bug scrub schedule

Updates from focus leads and component maintainers

Next meeting

The next meeting will take place on April 18, 2018 at 20:00 UTC / April 18, 2018 at 20:00 UTC in the #core Slack channel. Please feel free to drop in with any updates or questions. If you have items to discuss but cannot make the meeting, please leave a comment on this post so that we can take them into account.

#4-9-5, #4-9-6, #code-of-conduct, #core, #core-editor, #dev-chat, #gdpr-compliance, #gutenberg, #summary

Dev Chat Agenda: April 11th (4.9.6 week 2)

This is the agenda for the weekly dev meeting on April 11, 2018 at 20:00 UTC / April 11, 2018 at 20:00 UTC:

  • 4.9.5 feedback
  • 4.9.6 planning
  • Updates from focus leads and component maintainers
  • General announcements

If you have anything to propose to add to the agenda or specific items related to the above, please leave a comment below. See you there!

#4-9-5, #4-9-6, #agenda, #core, #dev-chat

WordPress 4.9.5 Release Candidate

WordPress 4.9.5 maintenance release is scheduled for April 3rd.

The release candidate package is now ready for testing. Please help us by testing this release to ensure 4.9.5 fixes the reported issues and doesn’t introduce any new ones. This beta release contains 25 fixes and improvements.

Please note: the Try Gutenberg callout will ultimately not land in 4.9.5 release. There are still a few issues that need to get fixed before it's ready for the level of attention this will bring. It will probably land in a dedicated 4.9.6 release in a few weeks (also see related trac ticket: #41316)

4.9.5 improvements & fixes

See the full list of closed tickets in Trac.

Build/Test Tools

  • #43190 – Update prefixed CSS properties in about.css

Bundled Theme

  • #43317 – Twenty Seventeen: underline links in comments
  • #43572 – Bundled Themes: Bump version number and update changelog in Twenty Seventeen for 4.9.5 release

Comments

  • #39045 – Remove unnecessary aria-required attribute for elements that have required attribute.

Customize

  • #36884 – In menus: correct oversized viewport after dragging menu items
  • #43307 – Correct closing tags in customize_themes_print_templates()
  • #43333 – In menus: reset results when closing the 'add items' panel.

Filesystem API

  • #43417 – Avoid an infinite loop in wp_mkdir_p() when trying to determine the parent folder with open_basedir restriction in effect.

Formatting

  • #43312 – Avoid a PHP 7.2 warning in wp_kses_attr() when one of $allowedtags elements is an uncountable value.

General

  • #38332 – Replace Cheatin’ uh? with friendlier error messages
  • #42789 – Readme: Update recommended PHP version to 7.2

Media

  • #41242 – Fix image cropping on touch screen devices
  • #42724 – On Media Settings screen, make the pairs of labels and inputs always stacked vertically, on both mobile and desktop screens
  • #42968 – Grid view – correct placeholder positioning during uploads
  • #43123 – Revert max-width styles on caption shortcodes
  • #43201 – Avoid a PHP warning in wp_calculate_image_srcset() if a plugin returns a non-array value via wp_calculate_image_srcset() filter
  • #43226 – Correctly allow changing PDF thumbnail crop value

Bundled plugins

  • #43555 – Update Hello Dolly lyrics

Networks and Sites

  • #43568 – Use a numbered placeholder in sprintf() for the site URL

Rest API

  • #42948 – Backbone client sending empty string in X-WP-Nonce header by default in some cases
  • #43265 – REST API JavaScript Client: Support an empty string for nonce to disable sending the X-WP-Nonce header
  • #43266 – Extend custom nonce functionality to collections

Security

  • #43285 – Loosen the admin referrer policy header value to allow the referring host to be sent from the admin area in all cases

Users

  • #42713 – Display partial names in the user listing tables

XML-RPC

  • #43216 – Add default values to IXR_Message for PHP 7.2 compatibility to avoid PHP Warnings

#4-9-5, #core

WordPress 4.9.5 Beta

As mentioned in the last dev chat, WordPress 4.9.5 maintenance release is scheduled for April 3rd. 

The beta package for 4.9.5 is now ready for testing. Please help us by testing this beta to ensure 4.9.5 fixes the reported issues and doesn’t introduce any new ones.

This beta release contains 23 fixes and improvements. Release candidate sheduled for March 20th.

4.9.5 improvements & fixes

See the full list of closed tickets in Trac.

Build/Test Tools

  • #43190 – Update prefixed CSS properties in about.css

Bundled Theme

  • #43317 – Twenty Seventeen: Underline links in comments

Comments

  • #39045 – W3C Validator warning: Attribute aria-required is unnecessary for elements that have attribute required.

Customize

  • #36884 – Customizer child menus incorrectly resize the site to an incorrect minimum-width
  • #43307 – Error wp-admin > Includes > theme.php
  • #43333 – Unable to add menu item

Filesystem API

  • #43417 – Infinite loop in wp_mkdir_p with open_basedir restrictions

Formatting

  • #43312 – PHP 7.2 warning in wp_kses_attr()

General

  • #38332 – "Cheating" message insults; needs changing
  • #42789 – Bump recommended PHP version from 7.0 -> 7.2

Media

  • #42724 – Options Media page hides breaks on desktop
  • #42968 – Media: Grid View: new upload, file is in the wrong position in the grid until after upload is complete
  • #43123 – Default captions should NOT use max-width
  • #43201 – PHP Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /wp-includes/media.php on line 1206
  • #43226 – Crop setting in thumbnails never set when uploading PDF files

Bundled plugins

  • #43555 – Keep Hello Dolly from displaying sexist text in the admin

Networks and Sites

  • #43568 – E_WARNING: sprintf(): Too few arguments. [ wp-activate.php wp-activate.php (113) ]

Rest API

  • #42948 – Backbone client sending empty string in X-WP-Nonce header by default in some cases
  • #43265 – REST API JS Client: Extend custom nonce functionality to collections
  • #43266 – REST API JavaScript Client: Support an empty string for nonce

Security

  • #43285 – The default admin referrer policy header value block the access to media on other server in admin panel

Users

  • #42713 – Users list does not display name if Last Name empty

XML-RPC

  • #43216 – IXR Server Warning

#4-9-5, #beta

Dev Chat Agenda: March 21st (4.9.5 week 7)

This is the agenda for the weekly dev meeting on March 21, 2018 at 21:00 UTC / March 21, 2018 at 21:00 UTC:

  • 4.9.5 planning
  • Updates from focus leads and component maintainers
  • General announcements

If you have anything to propose to add to the agenda or specific items related to the above, please leave a comment below. See you there!

#4-9-5, #agenda, #core, #dev-chat

Dev Chat Agenda: March 14th (4.9.5 week 6)

This is the agenda for the weekly dev meeting on March 14, 2018 at 21:00 UTC / March 14, 2018 at 21:00 UTC:

  • 4.9.5 planning
  • Release planning (GDPR, serve happy, debug screen, on-boarding improvements, Gutenberg)
  • Contribute with Docs handbook content
  • Updates from focus leads and component maintainers
  • General announcements

If you have anything to propose to add to the agenda or specific items related to the above, please leave a comment below. See you there!

#4-9-5, #agenda, #core, #dev-chat

Dev Chat Summary: March 7th (4.9.5 week 5)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from March 7th (agenda, Slack archive).

4.9.5 planning

  • @audrasjb and @danieltj to lead bug scrubs every Tuesday from 20:00 to 21:00 UTC
  • Planned release schedule:
    • Beta: 03/20
    • RC: 03/27
    • Expected release date: 04/03
  • Looking to move some 5.0 `good-first-bug` labelled tickets to 4.9.5 if they are already committed, self-contained, can be back-ported cleanly before milestoning, and don’t introduce any unintended backcompat issues

Definition of what’s included in minor releases && Gutenberg updates

  • @jbpaul17: Suggestion to expand what can go into minor releases and allow new files to be introduced as this could benefit projects being able to ship in a minor versus waiting for a major release/5.0 (e.g., serve happy, debug screen, on boarding improvements, GDPR compliance tools)
  • @jbpaul17: Question as to cons for doing so (e.g., breaking auto-updates) and whether they’re unsolvable technical problems or historical blockers that haven’t been researched recently and could potentially be resolved
  • Previous discussion on this topic related to inline docs
    • “Every extra file adds a significant amount of KB to the package, which adds up pretty quickly. This not only stretches the wordpress.org load balancers (when suddenly millions of sites are updating within an hour), but also each individual site, which must download the ZIP, which takes time (partial builds made things, on many shared servers, go from minutes to seconds) and introduces lots of possibilities of download failures, and thus sites needing to retry later (and wait longer) to get patched.”
  • Prior comment that although it’s a little inconvenient, it’s a handy line in the sand for backporting to prevent new files
  • @joemcgill: Important to get input from people familiar with and have access to the infrastructure and historical data about releases
  • Side conversation on altering version numbering scheme such that next major could be 4.10.0 and allow non-Gutenberg projects to land in a major release while Gutenberg can still have the 5.0 version number; alternative to switching to semantic versioning is pushing Gutenberg back to 5.1
  • @joemcgill: Important to clarify what we’re trying to solve: trying to release some new features that are blocked while we wait for Gutenberg/5.0. Suggestion: discuss the specific features and why they’re worth including in a minor and figure out the technical blockers to make that happen
  • @xkon: GDPR work is trying to avoid shipping with Gutenberg to ensure user-stress levels are low for these respective updates; in an ideal world GDPR should land before May 25th
  • @joemcgill: Helpful to understand the roadmap for 5.0 timelines to know if we should squeeze something in a minor release or do a vanity 4.9.10 major release
  • @matveb: Gutenberg plan is still tentatively April
  • @peterwilsoncc: Pushing new files into minors would require two releases:
    • 1 to update auto updates
    • 2 to update and include the new files for GDPR, serve happy, etc.
  • @sergey: precedent of adding new functions to existing files in a minor branch where they’re in separate files on trunk, same could apply for GDPR/etc.
  • @joemcgill: restating the problem… We have some features ready for release but are blocked by historical constraints on our minor release process, meanwhile we have no clear sense of when the next major is going to be ready because it’s tied to Gutenberg
    • Option 1: Change the constraints on a minor release and add the features. This needs input from infrastructure people
    • Option 2: Do a major release before Gutenberg is ready if we need to
    • Option 3: Wait for Gutenberg to be ready
  • Gutenberg team looking for more help in getting it ready for the path to merge proposal, getting a promo notice in a release to help increase testing
  • @azaozz: GDPR tools cannot wait very long. Will need to be out end of April, early May the latest
  • Gutenberg work divided into “feature complete”, “merge proposal” (things we definitely need), and “5.0
  • Gutenberg areas that need attention for 5.0 merge:
    • API tasks need owners.
    • All core issues should have corresponding tickets.
    • JS packages integration can be a topic for the core-js chats.
    • Gutenberg repo needs help with triage and fixing bugs.
    • Documentation and coding standard updates.
    • Accessibility needs to be improved
  • Various Gutenberg-related tasks could use help and don’t have to wait for merge proposal:
    • Various REST API tasks that can be done now in parallel
    • Core changes
    • New endpoints and infrastructure plans
    • How would inclusion of Gutenberg/JS packages work
  • Gutenberg team would like to see how integration with truck would work as early as possible, aiming for April for an initial merge/first beta (not actual 5.0 release)
  • Gutenberg team needs more component and lead developers focus and feedback

Next meeting

The next meeting will take place on March 14, 2018 at 21:00 UTC / March 14, 2018 at 21:00 UTC in the #core Slack channel. Please feel free to drop in with any updates or questions. If you have items to discuss but cannot make the meeting, please leave a comment on this post so that we can take them into account.

#4-9-5, #core, #dev-chat, #gutenberg, #summary

Dev Chat Agenda: March 7th (4.9.5 week 5)

This is the agenda for the weekly dev meeting on March 7, 2018 at 21:00 UTC / March 7, 2018 at 21:00 UTC:

  • 4.9.5 planning
  • Definition of what’s included in minor releases
  • Updates from focus leads and component maintainers
  • General announcements

If you have anything to propose to add to the agenda or specific items related to the above, please leave a comment below. See you there!

#4-9-5, #agenda, #core, #dev-chat

Dev Chat Summary: February 28th (4.9.5 week 4)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from February 28th (agenda, Slack archive).

4.9.5 planning

Updates from focus leads and component maintainers

WCEU Contributor Day

  • @flixos90 looking for volunteers for the core team to lead WordCamp Europe contributor day.
  • @getsource will be there, but helping with Hosting Community
  • @kadamwhite will be there, but his experience from WCUS shows it may be better for REST API folks to embed with another team and support their efforts (e.g., the Editor team)
  • @antpb willing to talk on setting up a local for Gutenberg and Core development
  • @sergey will be there helping with Meta team, but open to helping with Core during afternoon
  • Also, please keep your eyes out on tickets that would be good to be tackled at WCEU contributor day
  • If you’re attending WCEU and interested in leading the core team or targeted sub-teams (JavaScript, REST API, etc.), then please reach out to @flixos90.

General announcements

  • Progress on implementing a way to catch the issue from the 4.9.3 release is being tracked in #43395
  • @mte90 looking for review on eight tickets:
    • #40810: patch has been refreshed including unit tests, needs review
    • #34706: needs review on whether work is required or not as the desired enhancement may already exist; @danieltj to take a look
    • #14148: needs review to see if a refresh is needed, otherwise needs testing
    • #17025: needs review before another likely refresh
    • #28112: needs review and docs; @audrasjb to test the patch
    • #36661: needs review
    • #15145: needs review
    • #17019: needs testing
  • @helgatheviking looking for review on #18584, but likely wait on this for now until Gutenberg lands as nav menus might get a bit of an overhaul

Next meeting

The next meeting will take place on March 7, 2018 at 21:00 UTC / March 7, 2018 at 21:00 UTC in the #core Slack channel. Please feel free to drop in with any updates or questions. If you have items to discuss but cannot make the meeting, please leave a comment on this post so that we can take them into account.

#4-9-5, #authentication, #contributor-day, #core, #core-php, #core-restapi, #dev-chat, #gdpr-compliance, #summary, #two-factor

Dev Chat Agenda: February 28th (4.9.5 week 4)

This is the agenda for the weekly dev meeting on February 28, 2018 at 21:00 UTC / February 28, 2018 at 21:00 UTC:

  • 4.9.5 planning
  • Updates from focus leads and component maintainers
  • WCEU Contributor Day
  • General announcements

If you have anything to propose to add to the agenda or specific items related to the above, please leave a comment below. See you there!

#4-9-5, #agenda, #contributor-day, #core, #dev-chat