It’s been a busy couple of weeks in Core, with almost too many changes to count (for the record, this one covers 271 commits!). I’m going to keep this update shorter than usual and highlight some of the bigger changes.
Special Note: WordPress 4.3.1 was released this week, with three security-related fixes. Be sure to update your sites!
Here’s some highlights of recent changes in core, along with some future plans and ongoing initiatives. Remember, Core moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
- WordPress will support PHP7 when it’s released. Huzzah!
- HTTP/2 is coming! Here’s a list of tickets that need attention to get WordPress ready.
- Get involved in Twenty Sixteen, which is in active development on GitHub.
- Write better commit messages. The world will thank you for it.
- As described in this post by @johnbillion, the
show_uiflag for post types now gets fully honored. See #33763 for the ticket discussion.
A new helper function,
wp_validate_action( $action = '' ), was introduced in  and is used throughout admin instead of directly accessing
- A new file,
wp-admin/includes/noop.php, was created to load all of the
load-script|styles.phpand is only loaded by those files. DRYs in the process.  #33813
- Schema change introduced in  to increase the length of
wp_options.option_nameto 191 chars. #13310
- Implement a priority system for Help Tabs to add them at specific positions.  #19828
- Multisite: Don’t allow sites to be created with the following reserved slugs:
- Updated recommendations for minimum versions of PHP (5.6) and MySQL (5.5), with a special note that Oracle only actively supports MySQL for 5 years after a General Availability release.  
Thanks to @adamsilverstein, @afercia, @amereservant, @ankit-k-gupta, @antpb, @austinginder, @azaozz, @BdN3504, @benjmay, @boonebgorges, @bradt, @brettz95, @celloexpressions, @cgrymala, @Cheffheid, @chriscct7, @codeelite, @CoenJacobs, @danielbachhuber, @daniellandau, @dannydehaan, @dd32, @dimadin, @dipeshkakadiya, @dlh, @DrewAPicture, @dustinbolton, @egower, @enshrined, @ericdaams, @ericlewis, @extendwings, @figureone, @filosofo, @gaelan, @GaryJ, @gitlost, @gnaka08, @gradyetc, @gregrickaby, @hauvong, @helen, @imath, @ippetkov, @iseulde, @ixkaito, @jazbek, @jeffstieler, @jeremyfelt, @jesin, @jobst, @johnbillion, @joostdevalk, @jorbin, @juliobox, @JustinSainton, @kevinlangleyjr, @khromov, @kitchin, @kraftbj, @lancewillett, @liljimmi, @lukecarbis, @macmanx, @MatheusFD, @mehulkaklotar, @mercime, @metodiew, @michielhab, @MikeHansenMe, @miqrogroove, @mitchoyoshitaka, @mordauk, @morganestes, @mrahmadawais, @mrmist, @Mte9, @nacin, @netweb, @nikeo, @nikolovtmw, @nofearinc, @obenland, @ocean90, @OriginalEXE, @Otto42, @paulwilde, @pavelevap, @pento, @peterwilsoncc, @racaseh, @rachelbaker, @rajnikmit, @rmccue, @rommelxcastro, @sc0ttkclark, @scribu, @SergeyBiryukov, @sillybean, @solarissmoke, @stevehenty, @swissspidy, @tmatsuur, @trepmal, @tyxla, @umeshnevase, @utkarshpatel, @wen-solutions, @wenthemes, @westonruter, @wojtekszkutnik, @wonderboymusic, @yoavf, and @zeo for their contributions!